Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: larrivee satin fimish  (Read 548 times)
DaveyO
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: September 29, 2018, 10:01:13 PM »

I may have asked this before
Anyone know why Larrivee changed the shinier satin to the
Satin we know now?
Don't get me wrong,I like them both,just wondering
Dave
jpmist

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 10:21:57 PM »

I've no idea, but thought I'd weigh in with the observation that Taylor has changed it's satin from a really chaulky one of 10, 15 years ago to it's more transparent, slightly shinier satin of it's current models. Kinda the opposite of what you've observed with Larrivee's models. I kinda like the less chaulky look to Taylor's current satin finish.

But on the other hand, I have no issues with the satin on my 6 year old OOV - has a kind of bare wood vibe. . .

Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 Short Scale • Taylor 322ce    Various Strats • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 10:50:49 PM »

Either John or Matt explained it here on the forum once. I believe it was because the new material could be applied thinner due to it being harder.

However, I believe a member here found that the new finish could not be brought to a gloss as easily as the old one because it's so thin. He burned right through it, down to the wood.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
rosborn

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 08:20:47 PM »

I've no idea, but thought I'd weigh in with the observation that Taylor has changed it's satin from a really chaulky one of 10, 15 years ago to it's more transparent, slightly shinier satin of it's current models. Kinda the opposite of what you've observed with Larrivee's models. I kinda like the less chaulky look to Taylor's current satin finish.

But on the other hand, I have no issues with the satin on my 6 year old OOV - has a kind of bare wood vibe. . .

My OOO-40R also has a very nice natural look to it. I doubt I would be any happier if the finish were gloss. It sounds and looks amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rockysdad

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 10:18:16 PM »

My OOO-40R also has a very nice natural look to it. I doubt I would be any happier if the finish were gloss. It sounds and looks amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I whole heartedly agree with regards to my L-03 Flamed Maple Custom Shop Deluxe. +1

L-10, L-03FM.
& "others"
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 12:52:18 AM »

See the top pinned thread.  bigrin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: