How many brands of acoustic (or acoustic/electric) guitars do you own?

Started by Mikeymac, September 10, 2018, 09:13:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Mikeymac on June 07, 2019, 10:15:34 AM
Another out the door - the Taylor GS Mini Mahogany. Pretty popular, so an easy sell...

Trying to get to where I just have what I play... or as many as Tom has, whichever comes first!  :roll

:nana_guitar

Touché! 15 not including bass, lap steel, mandolins, ukes ... or banjos! I try to cut down and end up with more.  :blush:

Quote from: Melodeous on June 08, 2019, 07:31:35 PM
I have two brands.

Some folks around here might interpret that as "Larrivee" and "not Larrivee."   :laughin:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: ducktrapper on June 09, 2019, 02:20:27 PM
Crikey! I bet that hurt a lot!   :whistling: :wink:

:laughin:  one on each side I suppose.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: Melodeous on June 08, 2019, 07:31:35 PM
I have two brands.

Quote from: ducktrapper on June 09, 2019, 02:20:27 PM
Crikey! I bet that hurt a lot!   :whistling: :wink:

Yeah, no doubt.

Which is why I've never gotten branded. (You know - a tattoo...  >>shudder<<   :crying:  )

Martin 000-15SM went out last Friday, new owner will have on Wednesday. The Martin OM came back (story in another thread, I believe); I am becoming more attached to it at the moment, so it can stick around.

I accepted some guy's bid on one of my Ovations, then never heard from him again. Wish Reverb could do something about these "no shows"! Oh well.

11 guitars, 9 makers:
Unknown maker, classical guitar made in Rome, 1969  :donut
Unknown maker, 0-40 style  :coffee
Seagull, dread, before model numbers, 1982 :donut
Martin, nylon backpacker  :yawn
Conde Hermanos (3) :thumb :thumbsup :bowdown:
Hashimoto, 1963 :donut
Larrivee :thumbsup
Blueridge :arrow
Northwood :nanadance

Retirement and travel on the horizon, so I'm due for a major overhaul this year and will be releasing 7 guitars from 5 of these makers back into the stream.

Bob

Northwood
Noname Italian classical 1969
Hashimoto classical 1963
Conde Hermanos (3)
Martin nylon backpacker
Blueridge 341
sadly sold: Larrivee Forum III

Not quite able/ready to retire yet (I'm 61 1/2), but I'm trying to downsize and simplify, just to help me focus more on the guitars I really enjoy. (Predominantly my Larrivees and Martins).

Accepted another offer on my Ovation L717 early this morning - hoping to get paid so I can ship it out today. It really does feel good to "lighten the load" - especially of instruments I'm not playing anymore.

Sold my nylon string Taylor this morning - no Taylors left. One Ovation left to sell. After that I'll need to decide if I'm going to start downsizing the good stuff (Martins and Larrivees). Not sure I'm ready (or need) to do that yet. (First post on page 1 edited to reflect changes...)

My wife likes this trend...  :rolleye:

I'm not going to add these two to the list:
1971 Sears and Roebuck parlor sized guitar (I am trying my hand at making flat top floating bridges - the original must have been made from aspen or poplar or another soft wood and dyed black - strings have cut WAY down into it)  Paid $15 for it in a chip-board case.  It's in very nice condition for that type of a guitar.  I may or may not sell it, still deciding.  I think I might have the only one of these with a compensated bridge on it!

90's era Peavey Raptor Plus.  $20 purchase that came in a $30 Fender gig bag!  Ceramic pups, with huge pole pieces. I was going to try out the 'convert a ceramic pup to alnico' trick on this, but I cannot find any pre-magnetized pole pieces this large in diameter.   It's got a cool Jazz bass-like/offset body, and 3 on a side tuners on a headstock that looks like the Wolfgang models.  Totally disassembled right now.  Trying to decide if I should part it out or not, as the neck is a really nice single-piece maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard, but with a weird truss rod adjustment 'wheel'. 
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: rockstar_not on July 27, 2019, 11:38:50 PM

90's era Peavey Raptor Plus.  $20 purchase that came in a $30 Fender gig bag!  Ceramic pups, with huge pole pieces. I was going to try out the 'convert a ceramic pup to alnico' trick on this, but I cannot find any pre-magnetized pole pieces this large in diameter.   It's got a cool Jazz bass-like/offset body, and 3 on a side tuners on a headstock that looks like the Wolfgang models.  Totally disassembled right now. 

Trying to decide if I should part it out or not, as the neck is a really nice single-piece maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard, but with a weird truss rod adjustment 'wheel'. 

That weird truss rod adj. wheel is very similar to the adjustment wheel on Larrivee's most recent RS-4 and RS-2 models; it's very easy and convenient to use at the end of the fingerboard...just put the long side of an appropriate-sized Allen wrench in one of the wholes in the wheel and turn it. Very easy to adjust your truss rod. It's a design I really like.

I think I used to have a lefty version of one of these Peavey Raptor's (maybe with a different name?). A very offset Strat-style body, 3+3 headstock like yours. Not a bad guitar, but another one that blew through during my years of gas...

FINALLY! Just accepted a counter offer for the last Ovation I had for sale (and the last acoustic I was planning on selling...but there might be one or two more eventually).

So no more Ovations, Taylors or Gibsons in my stable currently. If I could find the right Gibson J-45 or J-35, I wouldn't mind having one again. But I loved the tone of the 45, but not the intonation, and the intonation of the 35, but not the tone... so there you go.

I've tried getting Gibson's thumpy thick tone out of my Larrivee L-05, but it's just not quite there - I think it's the longer scale length for one thing.   

Maybe have Larrivee build a short scale L-05 (with a sunburst top)? Maybe that's the answer...   :whistling:

Well, the buyer bailed (again). This is happening to me more and more often on Reverb...what's up with that?

I reported him, but there's not much Reverb can do but close their account - and they can get right back on with a different e-mail and new "name" and start trolling again.

But a couple times when this has happened I've actually had another, better offer for the guitar and it has finally sold - so I just need to be patient. But was a letdown, and what a pain.

:angry:

Just sold my Takamine 12-string on Reverb (it was "replaced" with a Martin 12 - I like the Martin's tone AND neck [!] better). Will ship out tomorrow.

Now I have several electrics that are going on the block...and one of my Larrivee acoustics (hint: the newest one).

This intentional downsizing is quite liberating, I can focus more/better with fewer instruments that I really enjoy. Nothing really wrong with the others, they just aren't getting played, and they're a distraction (and require string changes). (My wife doesn't mind, either!).

Uhh ... wow, this is a neat thread, a real eye-opener.  And, I had to go look and total.  I have 4 different brands of guitars for a total of 7 guitars.  I need to thin out the inventory.  Specific guitars are listed below.

Have fun!  Play more!
Bino

Guild Mahogany Sunburst Dreadnought D40 (2019)
Guild Maple Dreadnought D30 (2001)
Morgan OMM Mahogany OM (2003)
Morgan OMR Rosewood OM (2018)
Larrivee Mahogany L-Model L-05 (2008)
Larrivee Rosewood Dreadnought D-03R (2011) For Sale
Andrew White Cybele 110 (2018)

Quote from: bino on October 23, 2019, 02:07:46 PM

Uhh ... wow, this is a neat thread, a real eye-opener.  And, I had to go look and total.  I have 4 different brands of guitars for a total of 7 guitars.  I need to thin out the inventory.  Specific guitars are listed below.

Those are some nice guitars...don't know how you would decide which ones to move along...?

:donut :coffee :donut2 :coffee

Meanwhile, this morning I FINALLY sold my other Ovation - this time it's really sold! So I'm down to just Martins, Larrivees, a cheap Fender and a couple cute little Cordoba's.

I moved out the plastic Ovation just in time for another "plastic" guitar to come in - the Martin Johnny Cash DX I have on order...

:roll

After retiring and doing more traveling, I severely cleaned out the closet and I offloaded my Larry All Koa Parlor, my Larry 00V 03, my MIJ 50s Tele and 80s Fender Rivera Super Champ. I kept my Koa DV 10K, my Koa C 10k, my Breedlove style O mandolin an got a CA Cargo carbon fiber guitar that I can take anywhere and not worry about. As you get older,...less is more.
Larrivee LC-10 Koa
Larrivee DV-10 Koa
Composite Acoustics Cargo
UnclRob's Parts Telecaster

This thread's been quiet (again) for a few months, but I'll draaaaag it back up again...

...I've sold two Martins in the past 24 hours, and have two more I'll be selling, one is listed on Reverb now, the other will be when I can get some better pictures of the cracks in the top's nitro finish (otherwise it's a great guitar; OM-21)...

...I love these guitars, but the narrow, 2 5/32" saddle spacing on the current Standard Series Martins is hard on my 62 y/o arthritic finger-picking hand; it gets sore in 5-10 minutes. I will be buying a couple more Martins to replace them (in time) with wider spacing...

Meanwhile, I decided to pull my Larrivee Custom L-05 that I had listed for sale, and I'm glad I did; it's sounding better and better all the time. I put a set of DR Strings Veritas on it and they are a perfect match for this guitar. The L-05 and my Martin J-18 Custom are neck and neck for my favorite guitar right now.