acoustic monitors

Started by headsup, September 08, 2018, 06:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

:cop:
hi folks- there always some discussion of what kind of monitor amp etc is "best" for guitars.
I have indicated I don't use or care of acoustic amps- because they are under powered and colour the sound a great deal.
so I have only used high quality stage monitors (powered) fir that reason.
My first set a couple decades ago was the JBL EON 10's.

in the past few years it's been the QSC k8's- hands down the best smoothest sounding speaker available-even if a bit pricey.
We also use QSC gear as PA, on smaller gigs a pair of the QSC k8's are pretty much impossible to beat as far as high quality, 1000 watts each power, lightweight and very smooth.

Recently I got a pair of ALTO TS208's- these are 2/3rds the size and weight of the QSCK8's- half the power- but holy wow- do they EVER kick butt as monitors.
for small gigs- up to 200 people- they are great as a main PA (solo/duo).
awesome monitors with the QSC speakers, and stupid cheap- like $500/pair-or less!
they come with cozy covers to keep them clean. The QSC come with nice canvas padded bags.

for aging musicians- light weight & portability is pretty important.
especially when they sound that good.

My QSC rep claimed I would be hard pressed to hear the difference between the two brands.
that's why he's also an Alto rep.

here's a couple pics, guitar is there for sense of scale.
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Good to know as I'm a big QSC fan.really liking the new K10.2.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

How in the world could they sound good for acoustic guitar - I mean they aren't covered with brown Tolex, with brownish tweed grille covers so - are you serious?

Hopefully you see me tongue firmly in cheek.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Update on this post.
the new version of the Alto TS308's have come out. they are twice the power ( 1000 watts RMS) each.
I sold my QSC's K8's, and bought another pair if the Alto's

one pair for mains, one pair for monitors THEY REALLY KICK BUTT!

a lot lighter and easier to carry than the QSC's, very smooth response , and just wonderful acoustic guitars.
4 of those speaker (or 2) can be packed in any small car, with a guitar and a small mixer for this small venue gigs!
Like over 50?

Just wanted to thank you for the info,turned a friend onto them and he has a pair coming in. :cheers
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: headsup on September 08, 2018, 06:01:19 PM

I have indicated I don't use or care of acoustic amps- because they are color the sound and lack power.

That's quite a blanket statement and far from true. I can name several acoustic amps with crystal clear, natural tone and no lack of power.

Here's just one. https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/aer-compact-xl-200w-acoustic-combo-amp/j04698000000000
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

Yes AER are a fine amplifier.

in my country ( Canada) that amp is $2,647.00

a tad steep for my budget when I can use a full range 1000 watt monitor for many purposes, and at $280 per, I have a good deal of money left over....
Like over 50?

I'm still very happy with my Bose compact system. Great for a one man band in a smaller venue or any type of home usage.

https://www.bose.ca/en_ca/products/speakers/portable_pa_speakers/l1-compact-system.html

Quote from: ducktrapper on December 17, 2019, 01:14:44 PM
I'm still very happy with my Bose compact system. Great for a one man band in a smaller venue or any type of home usage.

https://www.bose.ca/en_ca/products/speakers/portable_pa_speakers/l1-compact-system.html
I have to agree, my brothers got one, fantastic amp. Also great for ageing body, easy to transport. I have the Fishman SA220 and the Fishman Loudbox Mini.

Quote from: fongie on December 17, 2019, 03:52:46 PM
I have to agree, my brothers got one, fantastic amp. Also great for ageing body, easy to transport. I have the Fishman SA220 and the Fishman Loudbox Mini.

Yep I can carry all my gear in one trip from the car. Bose in one hand, tower bag slung over the shoulder. Guitar and small valise with mic and cords etc. in the other hand. Love it!  :beer