Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tabarnac mon ami  (Read 444 times)
Niteshooter

Ignore
« on: August 27, 2018, 08:34:54 PM »

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 09:25:26 PM »

Wow! C'est un lève-tôt.  

Odd that he couldn't spell his own name way back then.   blush
Niteshooter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 09:28:26 PM »

Oui, éventuellement numéro un!

The story is, the printer screwed up both names but Jean didn't have the money to get them reprinted. Grant at the 12th Fret said that he thought the first 12 Larrivee's have the misspelled labels.
Niteshooter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 02:16:59 AM »

Grant MacNeil's 'John Larrive' 70 label. The 69 label Larrivee is on the right.

The story behind the '69' can be found here, https://www.12fret.com/instruments/john-larrivee-classical-guitar-1969/

Niteshooter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 03:55:04 PM »

Looks like there was another 69 for sale up this way. This one was out in Waterloo, not sure what it sold for but that's interesting. Wonder if there is a 68 floating around somewhere. Which means the one at the 12th Fret is not likely the first but it is pretty much right at the beginning. It sounds really good for it's age.

http://www.folkwaymusic.com/oldmuseum/classicalgallery.html
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 01:17:26 AM »

If it had a different name on it, it might be worth a fortune. Funny how these things work. 
Niteshooter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 02:55:08 AM »

No kidding, though on the bright side it's really cool that we can find and buy guitars that were built from start to finish by Jean himself for crazy good prices!

Wonder what the one at Folkway went for as it was in worse shape then the one at the 12th Fret. I was just out that way yesterday but didn't have time to stop by the store.

Granted probably a good thing I didn't have time to go in....  

headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 04:47:25 AM »

great stuff here.

Back in the day, Jean was building alone. one at a time, and maybe a couple a year.
As i understand the 1970 guitar was sold to the original owner for $220 ( CDN).
The labels were printed wrong and young Jean couln't't afford to have them re-printed.

By the time he started building steel string guitars (1971) that was corrected , and he was building 2 at a time.
Eric Nagler of the Toronto Folklore centre was personally handling those orders-including the one I own.
I believe Grit, Linda and David started in the early seventies working with Jean..

Lots  of stories- certainly  the "Group of Seven" show last year- made that very clear.
They were all there, and to not only see their contributions, but to visit and catch up with Jean, David and Tony at the opening was a fine visit for this geezer Larrivee player.....

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: