Persephone (original)

Started by JamesN, August 25, 2018, 07:18:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I wrote this song a long, long time ago, but recently redid the lyrics. The recording features a bevy of Larrivées: my L-27, L-41 12-String, OOO-60K, and Torres Classical:
Persephone

Thank you for listening!

James, that is one fine song and you should be proud of it. It's a fine melody instrumentally and vocally, and very well arranged. Your recording of the instruments gives exceptional clarity, depth and fidelity.  If I had anything at all to offer a critique on it's your vocals. While the harmonies are really good they otherwise have a stark contrast to the quality of the balance of the recording. There's a certain lack of depth and fidelity that plays so well in your instrumental work. Don't get me wrong, I'm serious about this being a great song and I'd love to hear the vocals come forward in the mix and with a comparable quality to the instruments. Great writing!

:donut :donut2 :coffee
It's great!
To make the vocals share space in the mix might need some of the instrument frequencies reduced to allow the voice frequencies more room.
Not sure you need that. Not sure that is what you want, but Melodeous' comment makes sense.
I ain't no recording engineer however.
You sing well. Helluva lot better than me. Your picking is awesome.
Now, what I would love to hear is the tune with no bass and no drums, just the guitars, but I am selfish.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Very nice song James.  Did you also play the bass and the drums?
George

@Melodeous: I appreciate the candid critique. I am still far from where I'd like to be in terms of my mixing skills. One of the challenges I have with mixing my voice is that I'm a baritone, and my frequency range competes with that of the guitars and other instruments. Based on your feedback, I tweaked the EQ, reverb and levels on the vocals so they hopefully sit a little better in the mix. If you get another chance to listen, I'd be grateful to hear if you think that helped.

@Mike: Thanks so much for taking the time to listen and comment.

@George: I played the bass. The drums are a sequencer I programmed with drum samples from a company called Platinum Samples.