Pedal Envy?

Started by headsup, July 31, 2018, 12:11:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who uses pedals for live sound/shows with their acoustic guitar(s)?

What ones ? and why?

I know why, we all have our "needs".

curious as to who else uses pedals on their acoustic rig.

And...go!
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

I don't use pedal,my duo partner use's a chorus and a harmonizer.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

It depends...  if I'm doing folky stuff, typically I don't use any.  If I'm doing ambient stuff (for art openings and such), i use a volume pedal, echo, and looper (Boomerang).

Ed

the reason why I ask, is, almost embarrassing .
I haven't used pedals for acoustic shows, and very little for electric (some trem on occasion, maybe a bit of delay) as I have a few tube amps, I use the "natural" break-up/saturation for a gig.

I have a couple pals who use a few pedals for acoustic shows- I find overly so- like distortion (on acoustic)- really grates me.
In fact any effect that becomes overly dominant in the mix grates me.

However, recently, in one combo I work with, I did start using some compression with a volume pedal for solo's and it was nice.
a subtle boost when needed for solo's to cut through the mix a bit.

Thus my inquiry here.
keep them coming, thanks.
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Acoustic? Just my Sansamp Para Driver DI, if anything. Nice to have the phantom power.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwcbOVnbS0M

I'm same as you. Never on acoustic and I have an AC 30 vox tube amp that easily goes from clean to any level of crunch you want naturally. With a touch of that spring reverb, can't beat it for me. On acoustic always just a good preamp, tonebone for last 5 years. It has a boost button when I want. But also like you thinking about checking out a couple things as I'm starting a second duet for whom it might be nice. I DO NOT envision myself having a whole box of pedals like a lot of acoustic players have now around here. Got to be careful not to lose the realness.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Just a touch of this

on occasion when playing in an acoustic oriented duo.  Gives me a little warm, earthy boost. Nothing crazy.  I use this to let me play comfortably without pushing the guitar for more volume when soloing.

Out of production in 2005.

I use a Zoom G5. Two reasons: impedance matching for my K+K and I have spent quite a bit of time with several parametric eqs in series in a patch that makes the K+K sound like a decent mic. Hint of reverb on the end of the signal chain.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Boss pedals are ... boss! I have seven or eight of them. I use a similar one in my electric rig. GP-20 Amp Factory. Fun gadget but it's a little noisy, however. How's the GT-1? A little pricey if I wasn't going to use it a lot. I got the Amp Factory used for $99.00. I wonder if there's a used one.

https://reverb.com/ca/p/boss-gp-20-amp-factory

I totally agree that less is more when it comes to effects and acoustics.
But I do dial in a wee bit of this (because it's not baked into my amplifier).
MXR Reverb

Of course, pedals schmedals. Lately, I just plug in to one of these. Perfect for small rooms and practice. One trip from the vehicle.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia-vbM4lwp0

Hi Ducktrapper,

If you like the GP-20 Amp Factory, you'll love the sound of the Boss GT-1.

It has all the Boss COSM amp models used in the Boss GT-100 (and all the effects too). It's just a different approach to the user interface.  You don't approach it like a board full of pedals (although you have access to the sounds of dozens of Boss pedals).  That is, it's not like you can tap dance and kick in individual effects on a whim.  You can can set up 100 patches with the effects and amp models and you can call up a patch when you need it.  You can line up the patches in the order you're most likely to use them. And you can kick in one effect or parameter change using the CTL switch and add external Boss switches.   You can configure the patches on your computer so you're not trying to do everything on the little screen.

It's much simpler to use than it sounds. I have half a dozen patches I use frequently. I manage everything else with the guitar.

Cool feature - you can run it on AA batteries or use a Boss power adapter.

On Wednesday I got called up to join four sets at a big public jam. I had my PRS JA-15 and the Boss GT-1 through the (excellent) house PA. Played acoustic songs, some rock, light jazz, prog-rock, latin, blues.  Comments from guitarists in the audience - "Best tone all night", "What were you playing through? You blew away the real guitar amps on the stage". The sound guy loved it.  

Quote from: ducktrapper on February 22, 2019, 09:13:06 AM
Boss pedals are ... boss! I have seven or eight of them. I use a similar one in my electric rig. GP-20 Amp Factory. Fun gadget but it's a little noisy, however. How's the GT-1? A little pricey if I wasn't going to use it a lot. I got the Amp Factory used for $99.00. I wonder if there's a used one.

https://reverb.com/ca/p/boss-gp-20-amp-factory

Hi Ducktrapper,

Quote from: ducktrapper on February 22, 2019, 10:10:21 AM
Of course, pedals schmedals. Lately, I just plug in to one of these. Perfect for small rooms and practice. One trip from the vehicle.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia-vbM4lwp0

Every Sunday night I play through the Boss GT-1 or Kemper Profiler through the Bose L1 Compact in your video.  I sing through it too.  There's a full band, everyone else plays through the (not so great) PA and guitar and bass amps. 

Quote from: ST on February 22, 2019, 10:46:27 AM
Hi Ducktrapper,

Every Sunday night I play through the Boss GT-1 or Kemper Profiler through the Bose L1 Compact in your video.  I sing through it too.  There's a full band, everyone else plays through the (not so great) PA and guitar and bass amps.  

Heh. I lost a couple of amps in a flood a few years back and had some insurance money to spend (that I had to spend on musical equipment much to my wife's chagrin). I went into the local music store thinking I'd buy a Gibson J-45. Didn't like either of the ones they had that much. Played a dozen or so other guitars and finally wondered what the heck had the proprietor plugged me into. Apart from how the guitars played and felt, they all sounded pretty good. It was the Bose Compact system and that's what I took home. With either my D-35 or my D-05 and a Shure Beta 58, it's the cat's pj's. I really love it. And now I want a new Boss pedal. Damn! Thanks a bunch.  :laughin:  

Hi, Ducktrapper.

Sorry to hear about the flood, but out of adversity...

Quote from: ducktrapper on February 22, 2019, 11:02:36 AM
Heh. I lost a couple of amps in a flood a few years back and had some insurance money to spend (that I had to spend on musical equipment much to my wife's chagrin). I went into the local music store thinking I'd buy a Gibson J-45. Didn't like either of the ones they had that much. Played a dozen or so other guitars and finally wondered what the heck had the proprietor plugged me into. Apart from how the guitars played and felt, they all sounded pretty good. It was the Bose Compact system and that's what I took home. With either my D-35 or my D-05 and a Shure Beta 58, it's the cat's pj's. I really love it. And now I want a new Boss pedal. Damn! Thanks a bunch.  :laughin:  

I've had that Kemper Profiler for years and it has completely sated my appetite for amps and effects units. Even though it's only 12 pounds (15 with the foot controller),  and it sounds like anything I could ever afford (or not afford) when I play it through the L1 Compact (or it's big brother the L1 Model II), I still wanted something I could toss in a gig bag and leave in the car for those moments of spontaneous joy when there's no time to prepare.  That's why I got the Boss GT-1.  They retail at $279 CDN.  I see them used floating around for $179 CDN occasionally. I got mine new when they first came out. I'm a big fan of the Boss COSM amp models so it was a no-brainer. It's light, runs on batteries, small enough that it's never hard to find a place to put it on a small stage. But read up on the user interface before you drop the dough.

Quote from: ST on February 22, 2019, 11:57:15 AM
Hi, Ducktrapper.

Sorry to hear about the flood, but out of adversity...

I've had that Kemper Profiler for years and it has completely sated my appetite for amps and effects units. Even though it's only 12 pounds (15 with the foot controller),  and it sounds like anything I could ever afford (or not afford) when I play it through the L1 Compact (or it's big brother the L1 Model II), I still wanted something I could toss in a gig bag and leave in the car for those moments of spontaneous joy when there's no time to prepare.  That's why I got the Boss GT-1.  They retail at $279 CDN.  I see them used floating around for $179 CDN occasionally. I got mine new when they first came out. I'm a big fan of the Boss COSM amp models so it was a no-brainer. It's light, runs on batteries, small enough that it's never hard to find a place to put it on a small stage. But read up on the user interface before you drop the dough.

Will do. Thanks for the tip.  :beer

As for the amps? Wasn't using them. A Fender Princeton Chorus (not a classic Princeton) and a Traynor Bloc 50, some guitar cases and other odds and ends. I had just sold my Fender Blues Deluxe (which I regret) and bought my two Mackamps (which I love) and these two were in the basement not doing much. I couldn't have sold them for as much as insurance paid. Also got the basement redone which it desperately needed. Our sump pump failed in a torrential rain storm. It turned out really well ... for once.   

Ain't it funny how the internet works these days? I looked at the Boss pedal above and I get an email from Sweetwater telling me this is on sale.   :?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HDCart--reverb-foundry-hd-cart-reverb-plug-in

Quote from: ducktrapper on February 22, 2019, 02:39:38 PM
Ain't it funny how the internet works these days? I looked at the Boss pedal above and I get an email from Sweetwater telling me this is on sale.   :?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HDCart--reverb-foundry-hd-cart-reverb-plug-in
Yeah. What a coincidence.
I linked that MXR pedal from Sweetwater's site and can you guess who rang me up on the phone later the same day?
That's just a little bit creepy.

Quote from: Queequeg on February 22, 2019, 04:47:40 PM
Yeah. What a coincidence.
I linked that MXR pedal from Sweetwater's site and can you guess who rang me up on the phone later the same day?
That's just a little bit creepy.

More than just a little bit. Good thing I changed my phone number.