Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GULP... I bought... a Taylor  (Read 679 times)
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: July 27, 2018, 03:37:40 PM »

...and I'm wondering if I've entered an alternative universe or something...

Not really - it's not like I'm getting ready to sell all my Larrivee's and go over to the dark (or rather the bright, tinny) side.

It's a nylon string NS24e-G lefty...

I've played this particular guitar which has been sitting in a shop in Mankato, MN for a very long time - when I checked the serial number with Taylor's system (similar to Gibson's), it says this guitar was built in February of 2011!!! This is one "new OLD stock" guitar!!! I can't find any reference to it at all on Taylor's website (they've moved away from these model numbers completely, it looks like).

It's been tempting me for awhile, but I just couldn't justify it. Then I saw they put it on Reverb with their deeply discounted price and the "Make an Offer" button as well. The tag says MSRP was $1199, originally priced at $899, then discounted to $699 in the store. I offered them $625 on Reverb, and they took it. Only downside was that, also living in MN, I had to pay sales tax...but it was still less than the $699 price.

The guitar plays very nicely - Taylor does do necks well, and it's nice to play a nylon string that is so easy to play. I also have a Carvin CL450 that plays well, but doesn't have any sound at all unplugged - that one, and another full size classical I have, will be for sale on Reverb soon.

The sound is okay, but certainly not like a regular classical. But I bought it to mostly play on the couch or plugged in - and it excels at plugged in! I ran it through my old Fender Acoustasonic Jr. (a great sounding workhorse of an acoustic amp!), and after some minor dialing of the two tone controls on the side of the guitar, and the three tone controls on the amp, it sounded excellent. Got rid of the plasticky "plink" you can get from nylon strings, yet kept some high end clarity - perfect! I'm very satisfied in that department.

Build quality seems fine for what it is - a lower level, Mexican made Taylor. It has a gloss top and satin body/neck. It uses Taylor's one piece kerfing (which just looks cheap to me) and three/four/? piece neck... but at least it doesn't have the old Frankenstein joint they had for awhile at the headstock! It is what it is - it's well put together, the woods look nice, and it plays easily. Perfectly happy, and feel like I got a good deal on an old, old "new old stock" guitar.

Only other downside (besides paying state tax) - I drove over to pick it up yesterday afternoon, and when I arrived, they didn't have a case or gig bag for it. They guy working (who I didn't deal with on the phone; I talked directly with the owner) said it didn't come with even a gig bag. I find that highly unlikely for this level of Taylor - don't even their new Academy models come with a gig bag?

So I have an e-mail in to Taylor's customer support to see if it should have a gig bag, and if they can send me one (and I let them know where I bought it, and that they didn't offer a gig bag with the sale of a new guitar).

I also registered the serial number online last night, and (while typing this post) I just got an automated e-mail reply congratulating me on becoming a Taylor owner (sigh...  rolleye ). So we'll see if I hear from customer support any time soon...

This will probably be my only Taylor... the only time in the past I was ever tempted by Taylor's was when Chris Proctor and Leo Kottke were playing and endorsing them... but that passed when I discovered Larrivees...

All guitars are left-handed:
1979 L-19  |  1992 OM-05  |  2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue  |  2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak  |  2016 L-05 Custom
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 04:38:46 PM »

Looks very nice.   
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 04:52:30 PM »

My only Taylor, a T5 Classic, came with a very nice gig bag (the Classic model has different dimensions than the Z and they don't even make a case for it anymore, only the Z...)  which I recently replaced with a really nice Guardian case for a reasonable price.  I would call the owner back and ask him, some stores will give you a gig bag with the purchase...

Your new nylon looks very nice and sounds like you made a really great deal, but I could never play that wide nut...    nice guitar

George
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 06:12:07 PM »

My only Taylor, a T5 Classic, came with a very nice gig bag (the Classic model has different dimensions than the Z and they don't even make a case for it anymore, only the Z...)  which I recently replaced with a really nice Guardian case for a reasonable price.  I would call the owner back and ask him, some stores will give you a gig bag with the purchase...

Your new nylon looks very nice and sounds like you made a really great deal, but I could never play that wide nut...    nice guitar

The nut is very comfortable - 1 7/8" on a nylon string feels like nothin' - my "real" classical has a nut width of 2 1/16" or more...

I think the dealer decided that he accepted such a low offer from me that he didn't feel obligated to give me a gig bag for the guitar, even though I'd bet it originally came with one (but if the guitar has been sitting in their store for 6-7 years, that bag probably disappeared a lot time ago). That's what I feel in my gut...

1979 L-19  |  1992 OM-05  |  2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue  |  2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak  |  2016 L-05 Custom
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 06:43:57 PM »

The guitar plays very nicely - Taylor does do necks well, and it's nice to play a nylon string that is so easy to play. I also have a Carvin CL450 that plays well, but doesn't have any sound at all unplugged - that one, and another full size classical I have, will be for sale on Reverb soon.

Some day I've got to learn to turn this around - and sell something BEFORE I buy something else! (I have sold 3-4 guitars on Reverb in the past year, so I guess that's a start...)  whistling

rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 12:35:05 AM »

The 8 string baritone is on my shortlist of ‘to buy’ guitars.  I won The 414ce in my signature below and hated it until I replaced the nut. Now I actually use it more often than my L03 when playing out.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 01:04:04 AM »

well I recently acquired a Taylor Nylon string (hybrid) .
it's not bad, nor is it great. it certainly gets some use for it's build, ut i doubt it will get enough.

The price point on these guitars, with bolt on necks and tone woods not as good as Larrivee, is a bit ridiculous (high- like 4-5 k high).

doing my very best to justify owning it by playing it, but I doubt it will ever be part of my stage rig.

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 11:54:35 PM »

I finally heard back from Taylor's customer support about a gig bag or case; here's what I received:

Hi Michael,

Since this was new old stock and also sold through Reverb, the seller is not required to include a case unless it was mentioned as being included in the original listing. Sweetwater sells our cases at a discount with free shipping and two year warranty, and the bag that will fit your guitar is in the link below:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/200DlxHBag--taylor-hard-bag-for-dreadnought-and-grand-auditorium-tan

Hope this helps!

Actually, it doesn't help, and I'm not impressed with Taylor's customer support on this. Yes, it's a very old "new old stock" guitar, but it was sold as new, and comes with a full warranty. When these were sold new, they came with a very nice padded gig bag (like the one at the Sweetwater link - which Sweetwater sells for $109).

Kinda sours me on Taylor.

I already have a bag and several cases that fit the guitar well (including the Larrivee L case, ironically). It's just the principle of the thing...partly on Taylor's part, but equally on the local Taylor dealer's part. I won't be shopping there again.

Oh well, lots of other bigger problems in life to worry about, and lots of things to be thankful for.

I'll reply to customer support that I'm disappointed at their response, but I'll leave it at that. Unless I push, I doubt I'll hear anything back from them...let's just say I'll be very surprised if I do.

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 12:18:32 AM »

I finally heard back from Taylor's customer support about a gig bag or case; here's what I received:

Hi Michael,

Since this was new old stock and also sold through Reverb, the seller is not required to include a case unless it was mentioned as being included in the original listing. Sweetwater sells our cases at a discount with free shipping and two year warranty, and the bag that will fit your guitar is in the link below:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/200DlxHBag--taylor-hard-bag-for-dreadnought-and-grand-auditorium-tan

Hope this helps!

Actually, it doesn't help, and I'm not impressed with Taylor's customer support on this. Yes, it's a very old "new old stock" guitar, but it was sold as new, and comes with a full warranty. When these were sold new, they came with a very nice padded gig bag (like the one at the Sweetwater link - which Sweetwater sells for $109).

Kinda sours me on Taylor.

I already have a bag and several cases that fit the guitar well (including the Larrivee L case, ironically). It's just the principle of the thing...partly on Taylor's part, but equally on the local Taylor dealer's part. I won't be shopping there again.

Oh well, lots of other bigger problems in life to worry about, and lots of things to be thankful for.

I'll reply to customer support that I'm disappointed at their response, but I'll leave it at that. Unless I push, I doubt I'll hear anything back from them...let's just say I'll be very surprised if I do.

No case? On a high end guitar? That is beyond suck. 
mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 12:54:13 AM »

I finally heard back from Taylor's customer support about a gig bag......
(remainder of response deleted)......
So suffer..... you got a guitar. Do you like it or not?
Quit complaining. You complain too much.
Mike
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 01:13:24 AM »

So suffer..... you got a guitar. Do you like it or not?
Quit complaining. You complain too much.
Mike

A good guitar comes with a case. That's not a complaint that's a fact. What's next? No strings? 
mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2018, 01:23:34 AM »

A good guitar comes with a case. That's not a complaint that's a fact. What's next? No strings? 
I stand by my comment.
Mike
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2018, 02:09:36 AM »

I stand by my comment.
Mike

As do I.   
mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2018, 03:06:00 AM »

As do I.   
And beer to you as well.... 
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2018, 04:17:56 PM »

Guys, guys...

Mike, I just think that - even if the guitar is new old stock - if it originally was supposed to come with a case or bag (in this case a nice padded gig bag), then that should still be part of the sale. That's all.

And I stand by my comment that Taylor is being foolish not sending me a case that will only cost them around $50-60 plus about $20 shipping if it could result in another guitar sale of over $2-3K in the future.

And, as I also said - life goes on and there are lots of other things to be thankful for. 

mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2018, 12:29:26 AM »

Mike, I just think that - even if the guitar is new old stock - if it originally was supposed to come with a case or bag (in this case a nice padded gig bag), then that should still be part of the sale. That's all.
And I stand by my comment that Taylor is being foolish not sending me a case that will only cost them around $50-60 plus about $20 shipping if it could result in another guitar sale of over $2-3K in the future.
Mike,
You are right, tho what is supposed to happen does not always.
Taylor is being foolish... I now agree with you, and I am sorry I made the comment that you complain too much.
Since I am a Larrivee person, not sure how to reconcile all this. I have always got a Larrivee case with the guitar. The two last non-Larrivee purchases I have made, I had to buy a  gig bag or a case.
Mike
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2018, 12:35:22 AM »

Mike,
You are right, tho what is supposed to happen does not always.
Taylor is being foolish... I now agree with you, and I am sorry I made the comment that you complain too much.
Since I am a Larrivee person, not sure how to reconcile all this. I have always got a Larrivee case with the guitar. The two last non-Larrivee purchases I have made, I had to buy a  gig bag or a case.
Mike

Moral of the story? Buy a Larrivée! 
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2018, 12:06:26 PM »

It’s probably my lack of any serious nylon string chops or skills, but it seems to me that you can get really good sounds out of VERY inexpensive classical guitars. My Valencia was $150 new, with a solid cedar top.  To my ear it sounds as nice as a $1000 classical.  It’s definitely heavier, but it sings just fine and loves to be defined down to C. 

Even when I hear recordings of the masters at classical guitar or flamenco, I’m usually never wowed by the sound. 

I apologize if I have blasphemed here.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Paraclete

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2018, 05:47:28 AM »

It’s probably my lack of any serious nylon string chops or skills, but it seems to me that you can get really good sounds out of VERY inexpensive classical guitars. My Valencia was $150 new, with a solid cedar top.  To my ear it sounds as nice as a $1000 classical.  It’s definitely heavier, but it sings just fine and loves to be defined down to C. 

Even when I hear recordings of the masters at classical guitar or flamenco, I’m usually never wowed by the sound. 

I apologize if I have blasphemed here.

LOL!  Whatever works for you!  No judgement here, but I personally notice a huge difference between entry classicals, intermediates, and high end.  Sort of like how cheap Yamaha acoustics are really decent guitars....but Larrivées are an entirely different thing.

2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1935 A-OO Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2018, 01:44:14 PM »

Moral of the story? Buy a Larrivée! 

Yeah - lots of used Larrivee Classicals out there and Larrivee had resumed making Classicals a few years back - don't think that continues, are they still doing that? But the price was certainly right Mike for sure depending on how the sale was presented - you might be hard pressed to get a case if one was originally included in a regular sale circumstance.

Am curious to see how you fare. Currently own only one Taylor at this time; a T5.

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: