New to me 2014 Martin D-28

Started by thomasinaz, July 18, 2018, 09:30:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A guy in Oklahoma was selling this 2014 Martin D-28 Custom Promo Series A on another guitar forum. I was planning a vacation to New Orleans with the wife for our 35th anniversary. I contacted the seller and he said he'd hold it for me so I could pick it up on my way back. My wife, probably being extra understanding of my guitar needs because of our anniversary, said it was OK with her if I wasted money on another one. :smile: Everything aligned perfectly and I ended up buying this wonderful Martin. I got it home and changed out the strings to my favorite Martin Retro Monel lights. The sound is amazing and the high gloss finish over the rosewood back and sides is a thing of beauty. (It reflects everything so pics were a challenge.) The neck shape and 1 3/4" nut are just right for my left hand. I've wanted a nice D-28 for years but never thought I'd actually be able to get one. This is the one I've been looking for.

Thank you. Tom

She's a beauty, welcome to the Martin dreadnaught owners brotherhood.
2007 LV 05e
1972 Martin D35-S
2017 Cordoba Orchestra CE (nylon crossover)
2021 Alvarez AP66 ESHB Parlor
2011 Custom built Vintage "Strat"
2020 Fender Custom Telecaster FMT HH

:nice guitar:

Great wife !
Larrivee D-04W VHS (Peruvian Walnut/Sitka)
Martin 000-28EC (EIR/Sitka)
Martin HD-28 v18 (EIR/Sitka)
Martin OM-21 Special (EIR/Sitka)

I second both of the above comments - great guitar, great wife!

Martin dreads are great guitars - I have a recent D-35 that is sounding better all the time (bought it new in 2015).

What are the back and side woods on yours? Indian Rosewood? They almost look like straight Madagascar or Cocobolo from the color.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

I've always preferred the 35 for some reason but if you find the right one, a Martin dread is hard to beat. My D-05 is pretty awesome too. More Gibson-like than Martinesque, however. 

Love my D-18 .  Yours looks amazing.

Quote from: Mikeymac on July 19, 2018, 08:19:29 AM
I second both of the above comments - great guitar, great wife!

Martin dreads are great guitars - I have a recent D-35 that is sounding better all the time (bought it new in 2015).

What are the back and side woods on yours? Indian Rosewood? They almost look like straight Madagascar or Cocobolo from the color.

The Martin specs said East Indian Rosewood. The grain is really nice on it, that's for sure.

Thanks for the compliments everyone! I agree: Great wife and guitar. 
Thank you. Tom

Thought about one of those, but I'm just a sucker for the iconic 3-piece back of the D-35

Quote from: AZLiberty on July 20, 2018, 11:18:11 PM
Thought about one of those, but I'm just a sucker for the iconic 3-piece back of the D-35

:nice guitar: A D-35 is on my "someday" list. Of course it'll have to wait until a couple of the other less played guitars go down the road. The number of guitar cases strategically placed throughout the house has become pretty obvious in the last few months...  :smile:
Thank you. Tom

Quote from: thomasinaz on July 21, 2018, 09:31:25 AM

:nice guitar: A D-35 is on my "someday" list. Of course it'll have to wait until a couple of the other less played guitars go down the road.

The number of guitar cases strategically placed throughout the house has become pretty obvious in the last few months...   :smile:

LOL!!!

Yes, those D-35's are nice ... probably worth looking for a place to slip in another guitar case...
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

The fronts aren't bad either. I thought that sunburst Martins were sort or rare but when I got up on stage last month in Northland, a fellow there thought I had borrowed his guitar without asking. He had a pretty identical looking, from the front, 1975 D-28.

Quote from: Mikeymac on July 21, 2018, 11:59:54 AM
LOL!!!

Yes, those D-35's are nice ... probably worth looking for a place to slip in another guitar case...

Interested in a trade ?  I have a Gretsch G6196t Country Club (the lounge lizard) I could part with.