the fall of the roman empire

Started by headsup, July 16, 2018, 11:53:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

It seems, as we go through life, we collect stuff.
image building, status, toys, and in my case- guitars.

I have felt, as I'm getting older- that same "empire building" can, and has, become a burden just to maintain.

Indeed even with our beloved guitars.

Over the past while, as I have felt more and more decadent about just how many guitars one really needs, I have sold a few.
Happy to let others grab a good deal on an old eighties larrivee electric that I didn't play much anyways.
Just recently I sold a guitar (not Larrivee) to Pete Townshend.

"thinning the herd", getting rid of, giving away or selling lovely guitars that I don't play enough to warrant owning, seems to bring some degree of relief from what others might feel as greed or being materialistic. Which I do not want to be.
Forgetting which guitars I have is just plain dumb.

Until I actually sit down and play the ones that are in the studio and not in the stage rig.
then- I fall in love all over again, and can't let them go..

we're sick!sick! sick!

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

I once had over 280 guitars that were investments meant for my retirement Well things changed a dozen years ago and bills needed paying so off to market they went.Now I have only gigging guitars in the house plus some guitars that a friend thought it better that I store them {6}.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Same here, Rob.
Culling the herd. Getting by with fewer material possessions.
Again.
Can't take them with me though wish I could take a couple. Wouldn't that be just grand?

I always wonder about people who have lots of guitars,I just want
2,an extra when someone comes over to jam,or when a guitar is
In the shop.
" the rest would be just showing off"
Thanks Forest Gump😊
Dave

I am not sick. I am blessed and extremely fortunate to own the guitars and other instruments that I have.  :guitar

When I read the title I thought of this guy: http://romanguitars.com/index

I used to get cracked up reading his rants years ago.  Seemed to be very much the curmudgeon.

I understand headsup's thinking.

I'm 60 now, and have quite a few guitars around here. I don't play out professionally at the moment (maybe again after I retire?). But I play on our church's worship team, and just led music at a men's retreat this weekend, which I enjoyed - gave me a chance to stretch out "solo" a bit. I used my Larrivee OM-05 and my newish Emerald X-20 carbon fiber guitar - just in case it was needed around the campfire (and it did rain that evening). 

The Larrivee performed and sounded great and got the majority of the playing time (2 out of 3 sessions). It's had the same Martin branded thinline UST in it for over 20 years, and it still sounds quite good - I can't explain it!
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992