Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: does your wife, husband understand your love of guitars?  (Read 608 times)
DaveyO
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: July 15, 2018, 08:23:59 PM »

as for me ,my wifey doesnt get it, in a way I feel bad for her , she has no passion ,cept maybe shoes
my one daughter has writing as her passion and my other daughter picked up my love of music
but my wife doenst understand why I would like several guitars, oh well
David
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 08:42:38 PM »

Mine understands 100%.She knew that my music came first then family and friends.The statement {better half} doesn't even mean much when it come's to her is much more then my better half.She is my muse.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 10:53:06 PM »

My wife is an orchestral trained woodwind player (oboe and saxophone with some early music stuff (shawm, recorder, etc) thrown in there).  She understands and encourages.  Truth being told, she doesn’t understand why I don’t just go out and find the best guitar, regardless of price, and get it so I don’t have to keep trying guitars.  Lol!   I think that’s what they call a first world problem.

Ed
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 12:06:48 AM »

My wife?  Naaaah……   

George
mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 02:08:31 AM »

My wife totally supports me, and listens to my playing as well.
Nina often says hearing me play is like listening to a movie sound track. She listens to me play all the time.
Considering Nina will turn off the sound on TV and delay using the dishwasher, etc, even though the music room is at the far end of the house, that is pretty cool.
We all should be so lucky.
(edit) - in case my comment was unclear, the sound goes off in the house so Nina can listen to the guitar, not because the noise would bother me.
Mike
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 04:42:45 PM »

as for me ,my wifey doesnt get it, in a way I feel bad for her , she has no passion ,cept maybe shoes
my one daughter has writing as her passion and my other daughter picked up my love of music
but my wife doenst understand why I would like several guitars, oh well
David

HA HA HA!
 in this marriage, my wife is also my musical partner, who, has more pairs of shoes than i have guitars!
As my last name is Head, and over the years, I have had many bands and thousands of shows.

With this duo ( her and I),
 it was she- who came up with the name "Head Over Heels".

And for those players who are in need of a very good reason to buy another guitar- sometime ago, I decided they were "investments".
So now when I buy one, I simply show it to her, and play it ( the VERY best I can) for her, and after she says "wow-nice",
 I simply say, "this is another part of your investment portfolio".

Seems to work....

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 12:01:25 AM »

She understands my love of them but not why I need so many.   
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 01:05:44 AM »

We've been together 50 years.  She understands me pretty well by now
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 01:13:57 AM »

Mine Talks, sees, looks and feels like me And does just the same as me. But sometimes I double check the mirror to be sure.  whistling But when I was married and with kids to raise, I only had the old L and one to take camping. (and always had a mandolin) I was rather frugal and besides the L covered everything so well.  Now is quite a different story.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
tlp2

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 01:35:11 PM »

Why stop at guitars?
It's a mystery why she even likes me!

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 03:33:23 PM »

Why stop at guitars?
It's a mystery why she even likes me!

B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2018, 03:17:33 AM »

Strangely, I think my wife understands it better than I do.
I try to be responsible and limit my collection but she encourages me to get something new every year and not sell too many. I think it's because she sees that they make me happy and I think she likes me playing and singing. Whatever her reasons, I'm extremely fortunate.

D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
kwakatak
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2018, 03:06:05 PM »

Holiday zombie bump.

My wife tolerates my addiction but tries her best not to enable it. She's bought me guitars to celebrate notable life events (wedding gift, 40th birthday) but whenever I talk of buying one I swear the temperature in the room falls about 10 degrees Celcius. If asked by friends if she enjoys hearing me play she will exaggerate that I do nothing but, when in reality I play less than a half hour every few days.

Music is to me what her exercise classes or her appreciation of wine are to her: it allows me to build up the endorphins and put me in a happier mood. I actually pity her, but understand. There are many members of her family who are musically gifted but she comes from the more analytical side of the family. I've tried to discuss with her the nuances of tonewoods in ways that are similar to how wine is ambiguously described but she's not poetic at all. I feel like maybe I need to try to appeal to her analytical nature (she was a Computer Science major with a minor in mathematics) and describe to her how music is actually mathematical in nature.

I think the real issue is that we're just on opposite ends of the spectrum. Ironically, our youngest seems to have inherited the best of both worlds. He's a whiz at math and getting good grades but is also quite musical. We are both proud that he's active in the school band and are amazed at what he can do on the piano - even though he doesn't take lessons.

Neil

2009 Martin D-16GT

2006 Larrivée OM-03R

1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish

1989 Kramer 610

1973 Takamine F-360 ("Martin Lawsuit" all-laminate D-28 clone)
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2018, 05:20:36 PM »

It took years for mine to understand:

I don't love guitars

I am compelled to play
Compulsive behavior is defined as performing an act persistently and repetitively without it necessarily leading to an actual reward or pleasure. Compulsive behaviors could be an attempt to make obsessions go away. The act is usually a small, restricted and repetitive behavior, yet not disturbing in a pathological way.

Source: Compulsive Behaviour

I like having a variety of guitars

Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2018, 11:01:57 PM »

My ex wife didn’t understand it.
As soon as she heard the case buckles snapping it was honey do time. cop
Fortunately for her she doesn’t have to deal with that anymore.

ryler
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2018, 12:39:26 AM »

My husband doesn't care.  He isn't baffled by or inspired by it.  A little encouragement or appreciation would have been welcome, but he's no obstacle, either.
Riverbend

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2018, 11:26:51 AM »

My wife often tells me she loves my playing, and the sound of it filling our home. She has also encouraged my purchases, however, I get the distinct feeling that there's a limit out there and that I'm right up against it!  

Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Ovation MCS 148 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Silence Dogood

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2019, 08:08:01 PM »

My wife is supportive of my guitar and mandolin life (she plays a little mandolin and violin herself), but our house is so small and our children so numerous that being a collector is out of the question for me.  I have instruments tucked away in closets and underneath beds.  I really don't think I have room for one more guitar. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: