Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts on Larrivee 00040r and 0040r?  (Read 126 times)
drcharper14

Ignore
« on: July 12, 2018, 01:03:04 AM »

Im looking really seriously at one of these guitars for a live stage guitar acoustic duo (one guitar, two voices).... and hoped to get some of your opinions.

Thanks in advance
Chris
jpmist

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 01:46:32 AM »

Im looking really seriously at one of these guitars for a live stage guitar acoustic duo (one guitar, two voices).... and hoped to get some of your opinions.

Thanks in advance
Chris

Hey Chris!   

I'm a big fan of the OO model, I have K&K Mini pickups in them and from my few open mics felt that it was a bit thin in tone versus what the OOO might have given me. That all might have been fixed with a pre-amp or a better sound guy, I dunno. Apart from that, it's a great guitar. I did have an OOO once and enjoyed the deeper tone, but I had a hard time adjusting to it's wider 1 13/16" neck and larger size. That's not as issue for you as the OOO40r has a 1 3/4" neck.

You don't say what kind of playing you do or what direction you need opinions on, but these are both really good fingerstyle guitars. The OOO will naturally strum better than the smaller OO. I've not played a legacy model, but I've heard good things about how they add a nice vintage tone.

I see on eBay that GuitarCenter aka Music 123 has both of these models offered for a decent price, they may be customer returns. They have a generous return policy if you can't get a hold of one to play.

Did a quick scan of Reverb and see someone is selling a 2004 Larrivee 00-50 in decent shape that I'd love to hear. I don't think I'm being disloyal pointing out that new gloss Larrivee's don't sound nearly as fantastic as they will when they've opened up months later so don't let buying used deter you.

Oh, and there's a nice OOV listed here for sale if you'd consider an all mahogany OO  whistling

Larrivee OO-05  Larrivee OOV-03 short scale   Larrivee OOV-03 MT SB - FOR SALE!!!   Taylor 322ce    Various Strats    Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist
drcharper14

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 03:11:44 AM »

Thanks so much for the in depth reply. You Rock!!!

One more quick question... what do you think about the satin finish on the 40 models?

Thanks,
Chris
jpmist

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 05:46:11 PM »

One more quick question... what do you think about the satin finish on the 40 models?

Well, grab a seat . . .

If you'd asked me that a few months ago I would have said, "meh, it's ok" but the recent arrival of my bucketlist guitar, the OOV-03 spruce/mahogany has opened my eyes and ears to the interesting qualities that a Larrivee satin finish has.

My first nice guitar was a Taylor 412 which had a satin back and sides that gave off what I hate to describe as a downscale feel. It's clearly a factory shortcut that saves them money with the tradeoff that it simply could never look as nice as a gloss finish. I always hated the cloudy aspect of the finish that made the nice wood grain hard to appreciate. Fast forward a few decades and the 322 I got last year has a beautiful satin finish that really shows off the darkly stained wood nicely. Dunno how Taylor did it but the satin finish they have now is more transparent and has a tad more sheen to it.

The "it's a factory shortcut" vibe has been hard to shake for me. Particularly since the satin finish on my sunburst OOV hogtop had the same cloudiness. Where the sunburst was black it looked chaulky, where it was brown grained it looked obscured and restrained. After seeing where my arm burnished the top edge I finally broke down and took Koaman's lesson in polishing the top and it turned out really well. The black is piano black now, the browns are rich and has depth.

So my first impression with the new/old OOV-03 was that the satin looked like bare wood. I liked the look and feel of it a lot and it seemed to be a thinner coat than I remembered on my Taylor. Because the wood is lighter in color the satin haze isn't as noticeable. Surprisingly, the 7 year old top is still perfectly flat showing none of the washboard type of scalloping that the top on my equally old OO-05 has. If someone can explain why satin spruce doesn't show washboard grain as it ages I'd love to hear about it. Finally, the whole vibe of the guitar is that it's simply less fragile than the OO-05 cause of it's lack of gloss finish.

Esthetics aside, I've had a lot of fun playing the OOV-3 and the OO-05 side by side. I have the same Pearce Phos Bronze on both now and they sound so similar it's kinda scary. Well, duh, both are spruce top, mahagony back and sides, but the -05 has Italian spruce & quilted mahogany, plus X.0 square inches of extra interior volume due to the lack of cutaway. Those factors may account for the slight difference in tone I can't yet find words for, but I'm madly in love with the tone of both so, lucky me.

So . . . TL:DR 1 - Satin Larrivee's are not a step down in either quality or tone. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. 2 - If you can find one used, by all means buy it as someone else has done the work of playing it so that the guitar's tone has fully developed.

Larrivee OO-05  Larrivee OOV-03 short scale   Larrivee OOV-03 MT SB - FOR SALE!!!   Taylor 322ce    Various Strats    Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist
rosborn

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 06:02:00 PM »

I have a OOO-40R and I absolutely love it. It is very comfortable and has tone and volume to spare. It easily holds it’s own with guitars I’ve owned that cost $3K+. I also love the satin finish. The same holds true for the OOO-40M.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
drcharper14

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 07:10:36 PM »

Thanks so much for all of the well written replies!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: