Pick Choices

Started by Zissou Intern, July 11, 2018, 07:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have been using Wegen large triangle picks for probably 15 years, with the occasional foray into D'Andrea or Tortex or Primetones. I ordered a couple large triangles from Charmed Life Picks last week, and they are fantastic! They are super fluid and glide on the strings. The tone is warm and woody, yet crisp and clean. I really like them. I bought a brown one a year ago from them, and immediately lost it at jam when my new Gibson went out to make the rounds and came back to me without the pick tucked in the strings. (My fault!) So, I thought I'll just stick with my $8 Wegens and $2 Primetones and not take any chances. Then last week, I was playing my new SD40M and was experimenting with picks when I decided to order a Red triangle and an Orange Flame triangle on a whim. Happy I did! They just flow...

Pick picks? Not that choosy. Pretty much any standard sized 1 mm pick but usually a Fender because I bought a tin full of them. A Big Stubby on mandolin.   

Same as duck but made by Tusq,they last a really long a** time.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: Barefoot Rob on July 11, 2018, 07:47:28 PM
Same as duck but made by Tusq,they last a really long a** time.

Not for me. I lose them long before I'd ever wear one out.  :laughin:

I never lose them they just go missing every now and then,then they show up out of no where in a pile. :wave

:donut :donut :donut :donut :donut
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: Barefoot Rob on July 11, 2018, 07:52:08 PM
I never lose them they just go missing every now and then,then they show up out of no where in a pile. :wave

:donut :donut :donut :donut :donut

You'd be the only one then. I also have dozens and dozens of picks that have turned up, over the years, at my house that I would never use. My brother used to leave a couple behind every time he visited. I just wish he'd use a pick I'd ... pick.  :smile:

When we left Miami 18 years ago I found a but living under our washer and dryer they were hinding under all those nasty missing socks. :wacko:
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

I am very picky about picks, no pun intended... I just cannot finger pick at all, so a flat pick has to be versatile.  I did a test a few years ago because a recording engineer told me that for every guitar, every song, and every style a pick will make as much difference as microphone location for an acoustic guitar.  So I bought literally dozens of different materials, shapes and thicknesses and started making comparisons, at first on just one guitar.  After it was all said and done I had come up with around a single dozen picks that all produced different tones from the same set of strings, and were equally different on other guitars.  These days I like celluloid because it is about the closest to real tortoise that is nearly impossible to acquire anymore.  For my style, a variety of medium thicknesses and point shapes seem to do the trick...  Not too brand specific, sometimes the free giveaway picks are the best ones...  I have a huge box full of picks as a result.
George

Quote from: Barefoot Rob on July 11, 2018, 10:41:11 PM
When we left Miami 18 years ago I found a but living under our washer and dryer they were hiding under all those nasty missing socks. :wacko:
Thus explains your moniker.

Dunlop Ultex  1.0 mm  Sound good, catch the strings well when picking faster and they last a long... time.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

I must have at least a hundred different types of picks, including the foo foo $35 types and nothing beats Ultex for me. Perfect blend of clarity and fulness with less pick attack sound than other materials. They stay between your fingers too.

The expensive picks actually sound worse to me in most applications. I think a lot of those goofballs on AGF just buy those things because they like throwing money at problems they didn't know they had. I see people use contradictory descriptors like "warm and bright". Lol. Well, which is it?
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: B0WIE on July 13, 2018, 03:33:40 AM
I must have at least a hundred different types of picks, including the foo foo $35 types and nothing beats Ultex for me. Perfect blend of clarity and fulness with less pick attack sound than other materials. They stay between your fingers too.

The expensive picks actually sound worse to me in most applications. I think a lot of those goofballs on AGF just buy those things because they like throwing money at problems they didn't know they had. I see people use contradictory descriptors like "warm and bright". Lol. Well, which is it?

:+1:

I agree with that assessment that they sound worse.  More like a dull thud compared to the Ultex, which is my second most loved pick after celluloid...
George