Washburn - any laminate likes?

Started by gidget, June 30, 2018, 04:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm taking guitar lessons and I didn't plan ahead: to take those lessons I have to take my precious, precious baby in my car (which could get hijacked or have an accident at any time) and then into the lessons with me (touchy-feely fingers, dogs, doors, thieves, strangers, walls...).

I don't want to risk it. Maybe I'll feel a little more detached in a few years but for the moment my guitar only moves through my house in my own hands. This means I have to buy a new guitar which I'm happy with because I love shopping. When I went looking for my Larrivee before a cheap Washburn caught my eye and I was surprised at how much I liked it but they're kind of hard to find where I live. Before I justify trekking across the country to test one out, do any of you have any recommendations?

TDLR: I'm looking for a cheaper Washburn laminate. Any recommendations?

Hey Gidget,
I've recently had the opportunity to play a Teton guitar. Very Nice guitars for the price. Not sure what you are looking to spend but check them out. All solid Tops.
Here is a link:  https://tetonguitars.com/ 

Good luck!
Larrivee OM-03MT
Eastman AC322ce
Eastman AC222ce
Eastman PCH3-CO
Art & Luthirie legacy 12 bourbon burst cw qit
Guild D140ce SB
Orangewood Sage Mahogany AE

I bought a used Washburn D-10S 12 string with solid woods for $200.00. The six string version is a decent guitar and you should be able to find one for around the same price. If I was going with laminates, I'd look at Yamaha's with a solid top.  

Some of the best deals I have played out there are the all solid wood Ibanez Artwood series.  Some have solid tops/backs/sides, some have solid tops, backs and others may just have a solid top.  The all solid wood ones sound the best.  They sound really good for a low end Chinese built guitar...
George

I have played some of the newer Washburns and was presently surprised by how good they sounded.

I think the newer Artist series (lam sides solid top) Alvarez guitars are a bit better value though.   For example:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/alvarez-af60shb-folk-acoustic-guitar/j42369000001000?pfm=item_page.rr1|ClickCP

Quote from: gidget on June 30, 2018, 04:23:00 PM
I'm taking guitar lessons and I didn't plan ahead: to take those lessons I have to take my precious, precious baby in my car (which could get hijacked or have an accident at any time) and then into the lessons with me (touchy-feely fingers, dogs, doors, thieves, strangers, walls...).

I don't want to risk it. Maybe I'll feel a little more detached in a few years but for the moment my guitar only moves through my house in my own hands. This means I have to buy a new guitar which I'm happy with because I love shopping. When I went looking for my Larrivee before a cheap Washburn caught my eye and I was surprised at how much I liked it but they're kind of hard to find where I live. Before I justify trekking across the country to test one out, do any of you have any recommendations?

TDLR: I'm looking for a cheaper Washburn laminate. Any recommendations?

The Eastman I have in my signature (the OM that's for sale) is an all solid wood guitar that's easy and fun to play. If any interest, PM me. Good luck on your search!

Thanks for the suggestions!

A couple of those guitars you don't get in my country but I'll have a look at Yamaha and Alvarez - I can get those.

I bought a used Washburn laminate acoustic for my older son that has some really interesting features:  it's a bit thinner than most  Larrivee and other makers listed in this thread and it has a right arm relief cut on the upper bout.  It is built like a tank but not too heavy. It's very easy to play with fine action. It just doesn't sound as full as other guitars mentioned but it is a great knock around guitar.

With that said, always buy the best guitar you can afford and then an extra 20% or so, and play and use that guitar. Take the time to save up the extra 20%. You will not regret it.  Focus first on playability and sound, over looks.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

I had a Taylor GS mini for a while that was a nice playing guitar. 
Solid top, laminate everywhere else and a nice sound. 
I sold it and am now kicking myself because one of my daughters is looking for a guitar.
And she's looking at MINE!!!

:ohmy:

I'll need to get her one, the sooner the better. 

Quote from: rockstar_not on August 03, 2018, 06:35:07 AM
I bought a used Washburn laminate acoustic for my older son that has some really interesting features:  it's a bit thinner than most  Larrivee and other makers listed in this thread and it has a right arm relief cut on the upper bout.  It is built like a tank but not too heavy. It's very easy to play with fine action. It just doesn't sound as full as other guitars mentioned but it is a great knock around guitar.
A knock-around guitar is exactly what I'm looking for! I used to have a Yamaha (that thing was LOUD) but the Washburn I tried out - the sound was so pretty.

Quote from: rockstar_not on August 03, 2018, 06:35:07 AM
With that said, always buy the best guitar you can afford and then an extra 20% or so, and play and use that guitar. Take the time to save up the extra 20%. You will not regret it.  Focus first on playability and sound, over looks.

I did that with my Larrivee - I went way over what I could afford and I love it but this next guitar needs to be something I like the sound of but don't mind banging around or getting stolen.

A big part of me says, if I can't take a guitar out of the house because it's too precious, I don't need it.  It would be like having a hammer that was too nice to use on nails.  But, that's just my take on things. 

That said, I think you have answered your own question... 

Quote from: gidget on August 10, 2018, 04:37:16 AM
A knock-around guitar is exactly what I'm looking for! I used to have a Yamaha (that thing was LOUD) but the Washburn I tried out - the sound was so pretty.

Just as another option, keep your eyes open on the used market (local shops, Craigslist, classifieds).  Pretty often, you can get guitars in good shape (those bought for kids or beginners that just didn't take to it) for 1/2 to 2/3 of what you'd pay new.

Ed

Quote from: eded on August 10, 2018, 06:29:22 AM
A big part of me says, if I can't take a guitar out of the house because it's too precious, I don't need it.  It would be like having a hammer that was too nice to use on nails.  But, that's just my take on things.

Normally I firmly believe this, too. If it's a new car, I don't have a problem with banging the daylights out of it at all. This is the first time being so precious about something. I give it 5 years and then I'll probably be banging the daylights out of my Larrivee, too. Hopefully musically as well.