Nylon string crossover/hybrid- Update NGD

Started by lkjjr, June 28, 2018, 12:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anyone have experience with the Alvarez CC7HCEAR Cadiz? No one stocks them close to where I live (north Georgia). I have had a chance to play the Alvarez AC65HCE, which was a nice guitar. But, I'd like something a bump up in quality and prefer spruce tops to cedar.

Seems I'm having a pretty common issue in that, with age, I'm having more challenges playing my steel strings (Martin D35s and Larrivee LV05) for extended stretches. So I'm looking in this price range for a nylon string guitar with cutaway and a narrower than standard classical size neck.  Weighing the CC7HCEAR against Cordoba Fusion 12 Spruce and GK Studio Negra.  Also open to other suggestions for a good "crossover" style nylon string in the $500 -$700 range.

Thanks for any thoughts you can share...
2007 LV 05e
1972 Martin D35-S
2017 Cordoba Orchestra CE (nylon crossover)
2021 Alvarez AP66 ESHB Parlor
2011 Custom built Vintage "Strat"
2020 Fender Custom Telecaster FMT HH

Haven't tried one but the consensus around here seems to be that the Yamaha NTX models are very nice. I  have an NTX900FM that I really like.  

Thanks for the suggestion. How do you compare the NTX900 straight vs. plugged in?
2007 LV 05e
1972 Martin D35-S

Quote from: lkjjr on June 28, 2018, 01:14:55 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. How do you compare the NTX900 straight vs. plugged in?

It is designed to be plugged in, apparently, and works very well (including a built in tuner) but I like it acoustically, as well. I am, generally, very fond of Yamaha's and have owned quite a few.   

Quote from: ducktrapper on June 28, 2018, 02:19:16 PM

It is designed to be plugged in, apparently, and works very well (including a built in tuner) but I like it acoustically, as well. I am, generally, very fond of Yamaha's and have owned quite a few.   
I also have an NTX900FM.
Very comfortable and well made. Sounds great plugged in.
:nice guitar:

Late to the party here. Bought the NTX1200R a few years back and replaced the nut to get better string spacing. There was plenty of room on the board to do that without crowding the edge. It played much better after that. Unplugged it was just okay but I didn't buy it for that. Run through an amp it was better than any plugged steel string guitar I've had/heard, and I've had a few. I gifted it to my son and get to play it occasionally. Nice guitar.

While I'm not, I repeat, NOT, a fan of Taylor guitars, I've played a couple that have impressed me. One was a nylon string model that is now discontinued, but there's a lefty version of it sitting in a shop near me on clearance for around $699. I keep telling myself I don't need it, but it plays great, sounds very good acoustically, and it has a pickup in it (of course; it's a Taylor), but I haven't ever plugged it in at the store.

Anyway, Taylor makes a nylon version of their Academy series guitars (both acoustic and acoustic electric versions); you can get the a/e version from Sweetwater or elsewhere for $699 new:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Acad12eN--taylor-academy-12e-n-layered-sapele-back-and-sides

Personally, I'd look for a slightly higher end USED Taylor nylon string, but the Academy might work perfect for your budget and needs.

And that Taylor on clearance keeps calling to me...   :drool:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Thanks for all the advice and opinions.  I found the sound I was looking for (given the $$$ I could dedicate to the effort).  I never did get any hands on reports on the Alvarez CC7HCEAR here or on the AGF. I was able to get my own hands on the Alvarez AC65HCE, Yamaha NTX700, La Patrie Etude, Cordoba C5CE and the Cordoba GK Studio Negra (which I was "gasing" for). The unplugged sound was most important, since I'd be using this mainly for extended practice and to compose with.

When I tried out the Cordoba Fusion Orchestra at a local GC the search was over. It had the best tone of all I had tried (with the surprising La Patrie Etude coming in a close second).  The aesthetics were really nice too- solid cedar top, laminated rosewood B&S, mahogany neck, ebony fretboard and rosewood bridge.  Beyond the tone playability was my most important consideration. The Fusion has a 1 7/8" nut and a 12 fret neck, like my D35S. It has a cutaway and dual pickup system (I'll use for recording some) like my LV05e. In fact, it's a bit like having a nylon version of my LV.

I was able to find a "refurb" in mint condition online from Nashville Guitar Store for about 65% of the current street price for new. BTW, a nicely fitted, well-padded Cordoba gig bag was included.

There is a lot of criticism of mid-range Cordoba's online regarding their fret work, so I was cautious about that knowing my guitar tech could address it if needed. But, there is no need because the frets are in very good shape. As the Fusion acclimated to its new home I've done some minor tweaking to the truss rod and the 12th fret action is about 1/8" with a minimal amount of neck relief very good intonation.

All in all I'm very pleased to have found a guitar that meets my needs for less stress on my aging fingers, hands and arms, but is also a pleasure to play and hear. My Larrivee and my Martin will still get regular play because they are such wonderful instruments, but now I can indulge in longer sessions without the need for as much down time to recover in between.

I'll try to add some pics in a bit.  Thanks for all your support in helping me get where I needed to go.
2007 LV 05e
1972 Martin D35-S

Stock pics, but mine is identical...
2007 LV 05e
1972 Martin D35-S

Thanks for checking in (just picked this thread back up).  More impressed with the Fusion as time passes. Loving the sound and feel of nylon, but still adapting to the subtle differences in technique that impact tone in a more variable way than steel strings.  Enjoying exploring this new dimension and gentler feel on the old fingertips.

Changed out the original set of strings (Savarez Corum Alliance High Tension 500AJ) about 2 weeks ago, mostly just experimenting for the best guitar string combo. Wanted to see how different the feel and tone of normal tension strings performed.

I got a split set- Savarez 510MR New Cristal/Alliance NT, Treble Set and Savarez Cantiga NT, Bass Set. I didn't really notice a "nickel's worth" of difference in the bass set with respect to tone, just slightly soft feel under the fingers. The trebles were a different story...

The original set (Alliance) were all fluoro carbon and sounded quite nice. The new treble set contains the Alliance "G' and Corum "B" and "E" strings. Don't know for sure whether it was due to the lower tension or the string composition (nylon) but, the Corum trebles seems a bit flat or less bright than the Alliance trebles- not necessarily a good or bad thing, but less desirable for my style.

So the journey through string comparisons is underway...

2007 LV 05e
1972 Martin D35-S

Thanks for the report.

Been eyeing a GK Studio for the wife.  She doesn't want a crossover, she wants the stupid giant classical width neck, so the Fusion is right out.

The GK isn't a crossover, it has a normal classical width neck, and since it's really a Flemenco guitar it's a bit punchier than a classical as well.

The crossover I keep eyeballing are some of the Breedloves.  I tend to like Breedloves in general, and I would rather have a crossover style neck.

AZ,

I considered the Cordoba C7 CE, but ruled it out because of the nut width. Your wife might like it for just that reason...
2007 LV 05e
1972 Martin D35-S

For any of you who may be interested in the results I'm getting in trying different strings on this nylon crossover, I'm going to create a thread in "Technical Discussion" sub-forum.  So...

"The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill Nylon Strings" will be over there.
2007 LV 05e
1972 Martin D35-S