Looking for opinions on a fair price for a Larrivee

Started by oldblackdogs, June 23, 2018, 08:41:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

My apologies in advance if this is the wrong board for this.

A board member is possibly interested in buying my 8 year old L-03 in sitka/walnut.  I don't remember what I paid for this guitar (bought it used) and, regardless of whether they buy it or not, I want your opinions on a fair asking price.  The guitar is in exceptionally good condition, always carefully stored, and with only two pinhead size dings in the top, and some pickguard swirling (it's mostly been used for fingerstyle).  The case is also in great shape.

I'm not looking for what you'd lowball someone for, or what you'd try to stretch out of it if you were selling it, but rather, a price that is fair to both the buyer and the seller.

Thanks for thinking about it.  Here's a link to some hastily taken pics.  My kitchen isn't always this much of a mess, but it's the only well-lit room in the house, and I had promised pictures that day. And the spouse is out of town so I'm not in cleaning mode  :tongue:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Ru5KEXwjNOqzKlTw7J4bxqYNtkCY9_L5?usp=sharing

Check around on Reverb and E-bay for what 03 Series guitars are selling for - figure that a walnut body should be comparable to rosewood for price even though they're more rare than rosewood.

My guess is that a fair price to expect is somewhere between $700-950. That may seem like a wide range, but it just depends on if you find someone who really wants walnut... many folks would rather have rosewood because it's a "known quantity" - but there are some folks who are looking for walnut in particular, so that could help raise the price a little.

Looks like a great guitar!
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

My 2014 L-03 Custom with 40 style neck/headstock. open Grover tuners and a 1 11/16" nut width, sold this weekend for $1,149.00. Minus the store consignment fee, I received $919.29 or something like that.

Here's the weird part. It had been up at the local Larrivee dealer (I love saying that!  :winkin: ) on consignement, for a couple of months, hanging on the wall next to all the new Larrivee models. I recently made the decision to go to Hatfield's and take it back home. I was going to learn to live with the different nut width as I believe we should all be able to play any guitar neck/nut/saddle spacing size and adapt to them on the fly. I was just getting ready to call Bill when the phone rang. It was Bill. He said, "Good morning Mark, I have a check for you!" I was a little bummed out about that. lol

But now I have $920 to put toward my next Guitar. Bill has a couple of brand new 2018 models in he just took deliver on. A gorgeous L-03R with an incredible figured back and sides that sounds heavenly and a  P-03R that is also just out of this word tone-wise.

So, a recent, 4 year old L-03 (yes it is rather unique in the L camp),  just sold for $1,150.

I paid $1,000 cash for the L-03 2.5 years ago. I consider the loss one very favorable "rental fee"   :laughin:  :donut :donut2 :coffee
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

IMHO, this is how Larrivee guitars Should Hold Their Value!  For far too long they have been little well known and that always suffers the long term value of any product...  It only took 50 years, but look how long Martin has been building them...
George

If anyone ever offered me retail list price for my LV-10 50th Anniversary ($7,500)  I would flat out refuse the offer.  :tongue:
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

L03s sometimes go surprisingly cheap but there's a couple reasons I'd price that higher than an average 03.
-Walnut is amazing and used ones aren't super common.
-There is a lot of silking in that top, which indicates it might be a really good piece of sitka. Can't say without playing it by when buying blind online, I always look for little quality cues like that.

I think $750 is a fair price. If you took $700 you'd still be doing good. If you try listing it on ebay you'll probably get around that price (or less) and then fork over 10%+ in fees.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Whatever you do,do not sell it to guitar center
They will not give you what its worth
Good luck
Dave