Trigger Finger surgery update

Started by mike in lytle, June 14, 2018, 11:33:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

:donut :donut2 :coffee
The doctor "discharged" me a couple days ago. The surgery was back in late February.
Original thread - http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=52190.msg458150#msg458150
There is still a bit of soreness and stiffness, but the prescribed therapy I am doing now (on my own) works well.
The therapy includes things we would do to stretch the hand and fingers to warm up to play guitar, except a bit more aggressive.
Plus massaging the palm to break up the scar tissue under the skin.
My right hand is pretty much back to it's original grip strength, and the surgery never really did interfere with playing, except right afterwards.
So this was a success.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

That's great to hear.  Here's to continued improvement.

Ed

Back to rockin out!!!!! YA!!!!!!! :nana_guitar
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Mike you are a very determined man to keep on keepin' on with self improvement after a very difficult to overcome surgery.  Glad to hear it has had so little impact on your guitar playing...
George

Good news, Mike.
Yes, do that massage. It really helps dissolve those bumps of scar tissue.
I got about 80% of my strength back since my trigger surgery a year ago April.
But that's plenty to play guitar.
Still, I reach for door knobs and jar lids with my left hand even now.
Guitars are more important than jar lids.  :thumb

I seem to have developed a case of the dreaded trigger finger myself. The pinky on my left (fretting) hand, and so far it's mostly in the mornings when I awaken. I've been able to massage it away after a bit, although it's been rearing it's ugly head some evenings, as well. Doesn't seem to "catch" during the rest of the day. Has this been typical at the onset for anyone else, where it's only a part time thing?     
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)

Quote from: Riverbend on June 15, 2018, 04:45:14 AM
I seem to have developed a case of the dreaded trigger finger myself. The pinky on my left (fretting) hand, and so far it's mostly in the mornings when I awaken. I've been able to massage it away after a bit, although it's been rearing it's ugly head some evenings, as well. Doesn't seem to "catch" during the rest of the day. Has this been typical at the onset for anyone else, where it's only a part time thing?     
Riverbend-
This was precisely my experience. Awakening with symptoms, I thought perhaps I was sleeping with a clenched fist. Though not painful for the first few months, it eventually became so.

Glad it worked for you Mike. As I posted before by bending my finger back, though very painful, the trigger finger went away.

My shoulders also healed when I cut down on working so much. I think five years or so have gone by. Until a week or so ago. My right shoulder is in as much pain as it has ever been in now.

I think it was due to A/C season getting busy and having to repair my work van. Anyway it wakes me up in the middle of the night shooting pain into my arm and neck.

Just when i thought I'd be playing dreads all I want, it's back to small bodies.

Quote from: Danny on June 17, 2018, 05:21:01 PM
Glad it worked for you Mike. As I posted before by bending my finger back, though very painful, the trigger finger went away.
Yes that bending fingers back thing is part of the therapy, and not the fun part at all. Helps tho.
I thought I was doing just fine till yesterday, I walked by one of the group of trees in the yard and somehow pissed off a wasp nest, got stung in my right cheek and two places on my right forearm. Oj. My right arm looks like Popeye and I have a new double chin that waggles back and forth.
Beer helps.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Wow,that had to hurt bad. I got stung by one recently and it took days for the pain to go away. I don't swell up much though. But when I was a kid it would make an arm or leg triple in size. But I grew out of that allergic reaction.

But getting older has made stings much more painful to me. :angry: