NGD - Fender American Original '50s Telecaster

Started by Mikeymac, June 02, 2018, 01:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

These replace the outgoing Authentic Vintage '52 Telecasters. I liked those, and they also actually make this in lefty, so I finally went for it (always was tempted by the AV 52). Mine's from Sweetwater - it was $180 off their regular price because of one supposed mark near the bridge (very hard to see!).

See pics below - the guitar is cosmetically great! I like the ash body's figuring - nothing too crazy; just looks like a typical piece of ash. Neck is very plain, which is also good - no weird grain running through the fingerboard or headstock - the back of the headstock has one noticeable figuring, which is good for identification.

The pickups sound very good - but I don't know that they really sound "better" than my Squier Vintage 50 Tele! I need to raise up the neck pickup a little - it's too low and sounds anemic.

Also, notice they used "vintage appropriate" flathead screws throughout. Doesn't really matter to me, but a nice touch. Finish everywhere is perfect, "feels" like nitro, not slick poly.

The neck is beefy, as advertised, probably just slightly smaller than my Warmoth boatneck, which I love. Rolled fingerboard edges feel great. Fills up your hand, which I like. 9.5" radius, vintage size frets - again, this all works great for me, feels very good.

One MAJOR quibble: the instrument is wired left-handed, and is supposed to have lefty pots, but the tone control acts like an on-off switch (going from 10 to muffled instantly with little variation in between). Volume is only slightly better - but it could have a better range too...

I'm used to this, BUT, on the Squier with lefty rotating pots, it works perfectly (volume and tone controls) - on this $1,800 USA built guitar, I'm going to have to rewire the pots right handed or go find some true lefty pots! C'MON FENDER!!

I may also lower the nut slots just a little, but that's typical.

The wiring/V-T controls thing almost made me think about sending it back (I shouldn't have to fix something on a guitar at this price!), but I like/love everything else about it (including the very nice case - and it even includes an ashtray cover for the bridge!), so I'll keep it, and it will get used a lot...been playing a lot more Tele lately.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Teles! Every guitar player needs at least one. I'm sorry I sold my '56 reissue and will probably buy another. My LT-1 Larritele will have to do for now.  :cheers

:nice guitar:  you are right, everyone needs at least one of them...

You could replace the tapered pots with linear ones, probably easier to find than lefty ones...
George

Quote from: ducktrapper on June 02, 2018, 03:34:57 PM

My LT-1 Larritele will have to do for now.  :cheers

"Larritele" - good one, Tom!

Quote from: George on June 02, 2018, 04:19:55 PM

You could replace the tapered pots with linear ones, probably easier to find than lefty ones...

Yes, but I'm so used to guitars with righty pots (right-handed sweep direction), that I'll probably just rewire these, and use it that way.

Indeed - everyone needs at least one Tele: I now have 3 + 1 strange "frankenTele"! I'll have to decide whether to keep my Squier Vintage 50's - it compares so well to this new American model, I'm tempted to keep it as a backup for "dangerous" situations (although - is any situation dangerous to a Tele?!  :laughin: ). Probably only the danger of getting stolen...

Everyone needs at least 3 or 4 Tele's....KEEP THEM ALL.... :nice guitar:

Congrats.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Congrats on your new guitar. I wouldn't like the wiring and knobs. Why do they do that? Are leftys in no need of different tone and volume? My 51 Nocaster is done the 'good lefty way' / the way Larrivée has done it. I've bought a customshop strat, if it isn't done the good way, she goes back.
Fender Artisan customshop Tamo ash Stratocaster
Fender Artisan customshop Rosewood Telecaster
Olav Loef 00 'Dav L'. 2018
Olav Loef slopeshoulder 'Charlien' 2019
Olav Loef OM/D 8 string 'Otto' 2018
B&G Little Sister lemonburst P90 2015

John 5, who was Marilyn Manson's and is now Rob Zombie's guitar player, is a monster guitar player who can go from heavy metal to perfect Chet Atkins, in an instant. He owns (at the time of the interview) over 300 vintage teles. Homage or greed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NerNLHswJ9c

Here's a guy who knows his way around a tele.

Scotty Anderson

Are You From Dixie?

Nice blackguard, Mikey!  :thumb

Quote from: ducktrapper on June 06, 2018, 07:56:09 AM
For any Rick Nelson fans, here's the great James Burton. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r84rOYDD30E

Good stuff!

You will need to turn the controls around..Volumn,tone then toggle and it will be perfect. :thumb
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: Barefoot Rob on June 07, 2018, 11:10:43 PM
You will need to turn the controls around..Volumn,tone then toggle and it will be perfect. :thumb

Yes, I like that set-up, Rob!  :thumbsup