02 series

Started by kahunacohen, May 28, 2018, 01:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I live outside of North America and I'm looking to add to my guitars. I have a larrivee parlor that I've had for 20 some years. It's always been my favorite guitar. I'm looking to add an l body and today I found a great shop well actually the only shop in my country that sells larrivees. I played an L02e which I really liked. But then went home and realized that they must have discontinued the 02 series. What happened? When was it discontinued and can I consider the one that I played a used guitar price wise. I noticed that the owner of the shop seemed eager to get rid of it and kept lowering the price. I also played a d 03 which was phenomenal but significantly more expensive and of course quite a different guitar.

02's are typically entry level, no frills Larrivees.  But, that said, they play and sound as good as any of them, and in some cases better...  If it is in good shape with no structural issues, I would buy it in a heartbeat and never look back.
George

I agree with George.

Can you get the serial #? You can then look it up, on the Larrviee website at:

https://www.larrivee.com/manufacture-date-lookup

That will tell you the date of manufacture.

Is it being sold as brand new, with warranty?
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

Does anyone know when 02 series were discontinued? I don't see them listed on the larrivee website

Quote from: kahunacohen on May 28, 2018, 07:49:25 PM
Does anyone know when 02 series were discontinued? I don't see them listed on the larrivee website
:donut :donut2 :coffee
It is better to characterize the L-02 as a limited edition guitar, when they appear they don't last long.
I have an L-02 12 string (2014 model). It is a phenomenal guitar. I also have Daion and Martin 12 strings, and the L-02 is better.
I have six other L bodies (-05, -09 and -10) and I am really stuck on the Larrivee L-body.
As suggested, get the serial number and check the Larrivee website for manufacture date.
Curious, what kind of pickup is in it? Does it have controls built into the body or a simple "battery in a clamp" inside the guitar?
Not that it matters.
If you LIKE it, get the lowest price the guy will give it up for and take it home.
There is nothing "lower quality" about the -02 series, as it is cosmetic. I would be proud to own another -02 L-body.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Okay I looked up the serial number and found that the guitar was made in April 2014. It apparently is being sold as new. Now keep in mind the country that I live in is not the easiest place to find quality guitars so it's not like there are any other distributors and not a huge market for these guitars. None the less the price seems kind of steep for a guitar that is really 4 years old. He wants the equivalent of $1,534. I'd say about a 300 to $500 markup might be expected here given that there are much higher taxes. This price includes taxes. And the fact that like I said there is really no competition for distributors. That said what a larrivee of this sort that is 4 years old and has barely touched lose much market value? How much depreciation is expected?

He's asking $1300 for the non pickup version. Thinking it over a bet I would expect a 2 or $300 markup

And it's mahogany for what it's worth...

The other few questions are these:
1) How do you really compare different guitars when the strings on them vary so widely. One display model might have dead strings that are even different strings than another guitar.
2) I own a parlor, but am looking for a full size acoustic to replace a Martin dread that I used to have.  I also play a tele. Is the L-series too close to the parlor...should I consider a dread, like the D02, or D03? I like a wide variety of styles, from finger style, to strumming. Folk to bluegrass to blues to even jazz. I am not a large guy with not particularly large hands if that makes a difference in terms of body shape.

Quote from: kahunacohen on May 29, 2018, 01:24:20 AM
Okay I looked up the serial number and found that the guitar was made in April 2014. It apparently is being sold as new. Now keep in mind the country that I live in is not the easiest place to find quality guitars so it's not like there are any other distributors and not a huge market for these guitars. None the less the price seems kind of steep for a guitar that is really 4 years old. He wants the equivalent of $1,534. I'd say about a 300 to $500 markup might be expected here given that there are much higher taxes. This price includes taxes. And the fact that like I said there is really no competition for distributors. That said what a larrivee of this sort that is 4 years old and has barely touched lose much market value? How much depreciation is expected?

I bought a new one that had never been sold in 2016 and it was made in 2008.  Best decision I ever made.  Aging only makes them better!
George

Quote from: kahunacohen on May 28, 2018, 07:49:25 PM

The 02's are an off-catalog model and have never been discontinued. It's origins started out as an international model built to help combat VAT. They eventually made their way into the domestic market by way of limited runs. There are presently 4 generations of the 02's. Each much different than the other.

As for new old stock...  Fact, guitars, like wine, get better with age. As the wood matures, the resins begin to crystallize and the wood becomes more stable. This is an asset to any guitar and something that only comes with age. Guitars are not like automobiles that become outdated as new models and standards changes each year, rust settles in etc. In a perfect world, we would build a thousand guitars, put them in a sealed container, and sell them 10 years down the road. Just like fine wine. 

Quote from: kahunacohen on May 30, 2018, 01:28:59 PM
The other few questions are these:

2) I own a parlor, but am looking for a full size acoustic to replace a Martin dread that I used to have.  I also play a tele. Is the L-series too close to the parlor...should I consider a dread, like the D02, or D03? I like a wide variety of styles, from finger style, to strumming. Folk to bluegrass to blues to even jazz.

The L body style (which comes in 03 satin series, 05 mahogany gloss series, 09 rosewood series, 10 rosewood deluxe series, etc.) is very different from the parlor. The lower bout of the L body is slightly wider than a standard dreadnought (16"), but the tighter waist makes it more comfortable to hold, and also tightens up the bass so it isn't as boomy as a dread. Also, it is 25.5" scale length compared to the shorter 24" scale length of the parlor. And it is 14 frets to the body versus 12 frets on the parlor, giving you a bit more upper fretboard access.

Plenty different - a totally different feel and sound - much bigger and more powerful sounding, yet balanced and comfortable to hold. The LV body is an L with a Venetian (rounded or soft) cutaway; a C body is an L with a Florentine (sharp) cutaway.

From my personal experience, the standard L has the most consistent tone in the notes all the way up the neck (even though you lose access around the 15th/16th fret); on the cutaway models I've owned and played, the higher notes start to choke and lose power on the cutaway bodies.

JMHE.   :thumb
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Pulled the trigger on the L02E. Amazing guitar. I came back and played expensive Martins, other Larrys etc. This was by far my favorite in terms of sound. The action seemed a bit high especially on the higher frets, but the tech said to try this and come back if I still think so.

Compared to the Dreads and even other similar Martin body styles this seems to have the most versatile sound. Not boomy, well balanced, perfectly tuned up and down the neck.

Plugged it into a Fishman amp and it sounded spectacular. I mean it sounded pro. I felt like a star. Proud to own two now. My parlor of 20 years and this one. Welcome home.

Congrats on the new guitar!

:gotpics:
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

Love that top!   :nice guitar:
George

Quote from: kahunacohen on June 05, 2018, 05:30:46 AM
Plugged it into a Fishman amp and it sounded spectacular. I mean it sounded pro. I felt like a star. Proud to own two now.
Welcome to the club. The spectacular and professional sound. Feeling like a star.
The overwhelming pride of being the owner of the outstanding and superior Larrivee guitar.
Thank you for reminding us of how special we all are. Again, welcome.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Congrats, :nice guitar: enjoy it for years!
Herman.

L-10, L-03FM, OM-05
 Forum VI, & "others"

Thanks guys. I really love Larrivee's. By far my favorite guitars I have ever owned and at an amazing price point for what you get. Playing up and down the neck is just flawless. Totally in tune all the way up and down.

Great sound. Such a versatile body shape. Played it again this morning and any bit of buyers remorse faded away.

Sweet! Congrats on the new guitar.  :beer