who has a "hybrid"?

Started by headsup, May 15, 2018, 07:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I been wanting a nylon string, that wouldn't be too much of a transformation, with a cutaway, nice pick up etc.
I think these are called "Hybrid" guitars?

anyways, I found one locally, which is a real beauty.
very well made, easy to play, sounds great acoustically and through a system.

It's a "grand auditorium" model or something from the 612 CE line 12 fret neck short (not too short) scale, feels similar to my OM's.

Apparently they discontinued this model, ( Taylor).

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

cool, ok cross-overs-
dunno, just a nice bit of fun, and they sure make you play better.

lots of definition and snap to this particular guitar.
Like over 50?

Godin make a really nice Nylon stringed hybrid that is midi-synth capable as well...
George

Quote from: headsup on May 15, 2018, 07:47:27 PM
cool, ok cross-overs-
dunno, just a nice bit of fun, and they sure make you play better.

lots of definition and snap to this particular guitar.

Yeah the Yamaha is very nice. I like it a lot.  

Quote from: George on May 15, 2018, 08:17:59 PM
Godin make a really nice Nylon stringed hybrid that is midi-synth capable as well...

Is that the Multiac? Very nice but more than I wanted to spend at the time.   

Yes, the nylon stringed multiac.  You might be able to find a mint used one...
George

For a short time I had a ?? 312 ??  Mahogany (sapele) Taylor nylon string.  The scale length was too long for me (25.5" I think, back then), and I couldn't adapt my playing for it, but it was (as I'd expect for Taylor) really well made.  Back then, Córdoba, Godin, and the Taylors were the big options (nut widths and neck profiles that would be familiar to steel string players). 

Ed

I've got one of those Yamaha's in shop right now.Changing the string spacing to a more classical spacing and I'll be notching the saddle to change the spacing there.Yes they are really nice guitars.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Have this Hybrid. Use to play often when I went out with my brother. Versatile but found it was limited at well.

Haven't played it in years now tho - just sit-in in its case  :arrow
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on May 16, 2018, 03:39:08 AM
Have this Hybrid. Use to play often when I went out with my brother. Versatile but found it was limited at well.

Haven't played it in years now tho - just sit-in in its case  :arrow

what kind of "hybrid" would that be? Yes I see it says Taylor, is it steel string or nylon?
Like over 50?

Quote from: ducktrapper on May 15, 2018, 07:44:29 PM
I've heard them called crossovers. I have something like that. A Yamaha NTX900FM

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha/NTX900FM-Acoustic-Electric-Classical-Guitar-Flamed-Maple-1274115034151.gc
Same here. In fact, IIRC I bought it based upon your recommendation years ago.
Surprisingly good and very affordable.
It's currently on loan to my son.

Quote from: Queequeg on May 16, 2018, 07:09:27 AM
Same here. In fact, IIRC I bought it based upon your recommendation years ago.
Surprisingly good and very affordable.
It's currently on loan to my son.

In that case, I'm glad you like it. How does your son feel about it? I got a smokin' deal on mine at a store going out of business. I bought it for recording purposes just to have a nylon string around but it sort of became my late at night guitar. The electronics work very well too.  :cheers

Quote from: ducktrapper on May 16, 2018, 07:52:16 AM
In that case, I'm glad you like it. How does your son feel about it? I got a smokin' deal on mine at a store going out of business. I bought it for recording purposes just to have a nylon string around but it sort of became my late at night guitar. The electronics work very well too.  :cheers
Son hasn't reported back. He is primarily electric and jazz box player and in foreign territory with most things acoustic. I think I paid the going rate more than 5 years ago which was only about $50 from the current price shown in your link.
Well worth it.

Quote from: headsup on May 16, 2018, 07:07:20 AM

what kind of "hybrid" would that be? Yes I see it says Taylor, is it steel string or nylon?

electric/acoustic  hybrid was how it was/is billed not sure if they are still making them. T5 was the model name attached. As I said its an ok electric and an ok acoustic but a good at neither. A good guitar for you Kevin if you were doing some kind of gig somewhere and you needed both an Acoustic and an Electric to pull it of but you could only take one guitar. Just don't compare the acoustic to your OM-10 nor the electric to your RS4 you'd be disappointed!
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

well we all understand that dilemma .
it's sort of like putting Humbucking pick ups in a strat or single coils in a les paul.

doesn't work.
I always have at least 3 guitars on a gig (depending who I'm playing with.
The electric does electric stuff, the acoustic does it's thing.
Never heard an acoustic pick up installed in an electric guitar that sounds like an acoustic, methinks it's impossible...
Like over 50?

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on May 16, 2018, 12:54:40 PM
electric/acoustic  hybrid was how it was/is billed not sure if they are still making them. T5 was the model name attached. As I said its an ok electric and an ok acoustic but a good at neither. A good guitar for you Kevin if you were doing some kind of gig somewhere and you needed both an Acoustic and an Electric to pull it of but you could only take one guitar. Just don't compare the acoustic to your OM-10 nor the electric to your RS4 you'd be disappointed!

I totally agree with your assessment here Andrew.  I have all mahogany T5, but I modified it to get the acoustic to sound better.  I disconnected the horrid soundboard transducer and installed a K&K Pure mini with a transformer and some impedance matching components and hooked it up where the original soundboard transducer used to be.  Sounds soooo much better...

PS  I have been experimenting with so called hybrid acoustic/electric guitars for many years.  The original definition implied magnetic electric pickups and a piezo bridge pickup with blend electronics.  Most of them don't make the cut for the acoustic blend.  The one exception is my PRS Hollowbody II and it does pretty darn good for both roles.  I have a couple of midi-synth guitars left in my arsenal, but nowadays you can buy pedals that sound just as good as the synth mode does.  However, they are very acceptable if you are just looking for an acoustic and an electric combination in a guitar.
George

Quote from: George on May 16, 2018, 05:10:04 PM
I totally agree with your assessment here Andrew.  I have all mahogany T5, but I modified it to get the acoustic to sound better.  I disconnected the horrid soundboard transducer and installed a K&K Pure mini with a transformer and some impedance matching components and hooked it up where the original soundboard transducer used to be.  Sounds soooo much better...

PS  I have been experimenting with so called hybrid acoustic/electric guitars for many years.  The original definition implied magnetic electric pickups and a piezo bridge pickup with blend electronics.  Most of them don't make the cut for the acoustic blend.  The one exception is my PRS Hollowbody II and it does pretty darn good for both roles.  I have a couple of midi-synth guitars left in my arsenal, but nowadays you can buy pedals that sound just as good as the synth mode does.  However, they are very acceptable if you are just looking for an acoustic and an electric combination in a guitar.

OK so evidently I got the concept of "hybrid" mixed up/.
this last post is a pretty cool way for people to get ambitious about whats wrong with a guitar concept, and use their brains and hands to make it right>
That  always make for a "better mouse trap"
bravo! :cheers
Like over 50?

Those T5 guitars and copies of them were all the rage for a while.