Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Those rotten devious guitars!  (Read 268 times)
Big-Al

Ignore
« on: May 15, 2018, 01:35:50 PM »

I was up early this morning and decided to do a little practicing for my upcoming guitar outing. I pulled out my L-03 and played through a few songs. It sounded pretty bad to me. . . . The F note on the D string sounded particularly wonky in one of the tunes. I switched over to my Guild dreadnought and it sounded great. After a few more songs I put the guitars aside and went up to get ready for work. I actually started thinking about putting the Larrivee up for sale on craigslist.

After a shower and some breakfast, I went back downstairs to play through a few more songs before I headed off to the cube farm. The Guild now sounded sort-of okay but nothing special, so I got the Larrivee back out. It sounded great. Rich harmonics. No wonky notes. Just luscious sonorous tasty tonality. Arrrgh!

I know I'm not alone in this experience. Why do those devious guitars do that?

On the forum as Big-Al since 2008.
Gibson Refrigerator
Taylor Barometer
Martin Fishing Reel
Larrivee Guitar
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 01:54:34 PM »

Because they can.They can be evil,nasty and mean.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 02:49:28 PM »

That happens to me often. Learning to ignore it. A few cents either way can make a difference.

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 02:57:26 PM »

All my guitars sound great always.
mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 06:15:52 PM »

After a shower and some breakfast, I went back downstairs to play through a few more songs before I headed off to the cube farm. The Guild now sounded sort-of okay but nothing special, so I got the Larrivee back out. It sounded great. Rich harmonics. No wonky notes. Just luscious sonorous tasty tonality. Arrrgh!

I know I'm not alone in this experience. Why do those devious guitars do that?
The warm vapor in the shower loosened up the earwax?
Mike
Big-Al

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 06:49:08 PM »

Actually, I do have rather annoying tinnitus that can sometimes affect how I perceive certain sounds . . . but it didn't seem to be too troubling this morning.

And . . . I did actually put the L-03 up on the local Craigslist over my lunch hour. It's a small market here and it may take a very long time to sell, if it ever does. I don't want to go through the hassle of shipping it, so if it doesn't sell, I'll just keep playing it. If it sells, I'll probably start looking for a dread.

Gibson Refrigerator
Taylor Barometer
Martin Fishing Reel
Larrivee Guitar
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 07:25:06 PM »

We often talk here about how this or that guitar opened up and/or changed over time.
Not one to say that isn't so, but the most variable of the values in the equation is the player, IMHO.

We attack/strum/pluck and tune differently, and we perceive differently at any given time.
(Feel free to substitute "we" for "I" in the above sentence.)
Big-Al

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 12:28:52 PM »

Well . . . I swapped out the saddle to perhaps a little taller one, the wonky F note seems better. I played the L-03 with a church contemporary choir yesterday through a Loudbox Mini using a K&K Meridian mic, and was I pretty happy with how it sounded.  I still have the ad up on Craigslist though, and this morning I've been getting emails from someone seriously interested in buying it. He wants to drive two hours to see it. Oh, drat! Decisions!

Gibson Refrigerator
Taylor Barometer
Martin Fishing Reel
Larrivee Guitar
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 12:32:15 PM »

We often talk here about how this or that guitar opened up and/or changed over time.
Not one to say that isn't so, but the most variable of the values in the equation is the player, IMHO.

We attack/strum/pluck and tune differently, and we perceive differently at any given time.

When things don't sound right, it's inevitably me. 
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 01:39:07 PM »

The recording engineer that taught me how to mic a guitar always insisted that the specific guitar and the player were the most critical parts of obtaining a great recording.  He taught me that time spent on tuning is golden, pick choices are extremely important and lastly, the player must be consistent in all things related to form, style and accuracy...  A change of strings can also make a HUGE difference...

George
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: