Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OM-40 with Austria spruce top  (Read 716 times)
mattwood

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2018, 01:14:23 AM »

My L-03z is moonwood top and zebrawood back and sides.  I really like the complexity of the tone from the moonwood spruce.  It seems to have different nuances that I didn't get when I had my sitka/mahogany L-05 and it sounds louder as well.  Don't get me wrong.  The L-05 was a great guitar and I often long to have it back, but the L-03z really excels in fingerstyle due to the different colors of tone it produces.  Plus, it has a really cool glow when the moon is full.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2018, 11:52:59 AM »

I have 2 of the Alpine Spruce tops. One on D and one on parlor. D Rosewood B/S Parlor Mahogany B/S. 3 Larrivee Sitka's.  I don't claim to by Mr. Ear but the 2 Alpine Spruce tops have a distinctive tone and response that even I can hear. Very responsive. If you brush or pick near the bridge they give a very percussive woody sound. I won't try to describe any further. Always to each there own about which is better (which they prefer) but they do sound different to me.

Sure. No argument except to say, that in my experience, every guitar sounds, at least slightly, different. I, too, love the sound of my old Larrivée with the German spruce top. On the other hand, it's 43 years old and was hand made by Jean and Linda Manzer. Better is a subjective word and with guitars there's always more than one factor.   
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2018, 08:04:07 PM »

On the other hand, it's 43 years old and was hand made by Jean and Linda Manzer.

Stop right there. You win. 

I often wonder who all had their hands on my '79 L-19... also a wonderful sounding guitar - which top wood? Who cares?!

All guitars are left-handed:
1979 L-19  |  1992 OM-05  |  2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue  |  2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak  |  2016 L-05 Custom
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2018, 11:24:29 PM »

Stop right there. You win. 

I often wonder who all had their hands on my '79 L-19... also a wonderful sounding guitar - which top wood? Who cares?!

Oddly, I came across a fellow who owned a '76 Manzer which was very much like my '75 Larrivée. I emailed Linda Manzer, told her what I knew of the guitar's provenance, and she claimed to have built it. However, it is signed by JCL so I don't know what to say about that. 
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2018, 02:07:37 PM »

Oddly, I came across a fellow who owned a '76 Manzer which was very much like my '75 Larrivée. I emailed Linda Manzer, told her what I knew of the guitar's provenance, and she claimed to have built it. However, it is signed by JCL so I don't know what to say about that. 

Well, they are Jean Larrivee guitars, not Linda Manzer guitars, no matter who did most of the work on one of them. I suspect Jean had his hands on these older guitars as much as (or more than) he does on the ones being built today.

All guitars are left-handed:
1979 L-19  |  1992 OM-05  |  2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue  |  2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak  |  2016 L-05 Custom
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2018, 09:23:38 PM »

Well, they are Jean Larrivee guitars, not Linda Manzer guitars, no matter who did most of the work on one of them. I suspect Jean had his hands on these older guitars as much as (or more than) he does on the ones being built today.

I agree. I found her claim odd. But who knows how much the apprentices did in those days?   
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: