OM-40 with Austria spruce top

Started by blue_dog, May 09, 2018, 08:51:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just got a OM-40 with Austria spruce top, I can't believe how amazing it sounds. Compared it with a OM-40 sitka top, it has more volume and clarity, both wonderful guitars. I think it might replace my martin om-21...

Congrats and pictures please! :gotpics:
2017 Larrivee D-40 8>)
2018 Taylor GS Mini Koa

Congratulations! 
:nice guitar:
:gotpics:
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

Congrats, but it didn't happen if there aren't pics :roll
Herman.

L-10, L-03FM, OM-05
Forum VI, & "others"

Really like the detail work on the new open back tuners and binding. Really happy, apparently this guitar was worked on by JL. But then again, he has a hand in the whole process.

Beautiful top on there. And I love the fact that Larrivee still uses one piece necks (no wings, etc.). Does it matter to tone? No, but it's a nice touch, versus Martin's and Gibson's wings and Taylor's Frankenstein necks (at much higher prices - hello!).
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

:+1:   
Awesome top - beautiful guitar
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Thanks, yeah I'm really happy with the outcome of the guitar!

:nice guitar:
I love my OM-40!
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)

I have an L-03, but this guitar is so fun to play.

JCL has a hand on every Larry made

I've got 2 Austrian Alpine Spruce topped guitars now. They both have the same certain wonderful responsive sound. One Mahogany B/S and the other Rosewood. Great wood for me. My friend who builds guitars was floored by the lil parlor. (Hog back)
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Beautiful but can anyone explain the difference between Austrian and German spruce? Only one wants conquer the world?  :cheers

I read somewhere that there is little real German Spruce, but a lot of European Spruce is sold from that country, and that all of it is European Spruce from some region of the Alps adjacent to some country or other in Europe.  It is all white in color and softer than most other spruces.  I have an Italian Alpine Spruce top that got dinged extremely easily from a small collision with the corner of a bookcase.  I believe that marketing hype is the real key to understanding the nomenclature in use.  With one exception, and that is the Moonwood process of harvesting Spruce over there...  It is the real deal that you can hear (IMHO).
George

Quote from: George on May 31, 2018, 09:23:03 PM
I read somewhere that there is little real German Spruce, but a lot of European Spruce is sold from that country, and that all of it is European Spruce from some region of the Alps adjacent to some country or other in Europe.  It is all white in color and softer than most other spruces.  I have an Italian Alpine Spruce top that got dinged extremely easily from a small collision with the corner of a bookcase.  I believe that marketing hype is the real key to understanding the nomenclature in use.  With one exception, and that is the Moonwood process of harvesting Spruce over there...  It is the real deal that you can hear (IMHO).

All I know is that it really sounds good, and I've compared it with an OM with stika spruce. Do you think the harvesting process has an effect on the wood? Or just marketing as well?

To my ears the High Altitude European Alpine Spruce that was harvested using the moon phase process described as Moonwood definitely sounds better.  Is it used as marketing hype?  Definitely.  The only spruces that sound better than that to me are torrefied Adi and torrefied Sitka.  And that is because they have been artificially aged at least 20 years ahead of time...
George

Oddly, according to what I've seen, JCL prefers Sitka spruce. My original Larrivee, a 1975 L, has a German spruce top and sounds incredible but then so do all my Larrivees with Sitka. Marketing? Maybe but unless you're able to compare a lot more than one or two guitars, how is it possible to tell if the top is the difference? Nice guitar though and, if you're loving it, that's really all that counts. 

Quote from: ducktrapper on June 01, 2018, 04:37:17 PM
Oddly, according to what I've seen, JCL prefers Sitka spruce.

With my admittedly limited experience, I would agree. That is that Sitka is preferable. So where's the Sitka hype?  :bgrin:
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: ducktrapper on June 01, 2018, 04:37:17 PM
Oddly, according to what I've seen, JCL prefers Sitka spruce. My original Larrivee, a 1975 L, has a German spruce top and sounds incredible but then so do all my Larrivees with Sitka. Marketing? Maybe but unless you're able to compare a lot more than one or two guitars, how is it possible to tell if the top is the difference? Nice guitar though and, if you're loving it, that's really all that counts. 
I have 2 of the Alpine Spruce tops. One on D and one on parlor. D Rosewood B/S Parlor Mahogany B/S. 3 Larrivee Sitka's.  I don't claim to by Mr. Ear but the 2 Alpine Spruce tops have a distinctive tone and response that even I can hear. Very responsive. If you brush or pick near the bridge they give a very percussive woody sound. I won't try to describe any further. Always to each there own about which is better (which they prefer) but they do sound different to me.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.