David Iannone Morgan Guitars - anybody got one?

Started by Casey86, May 02, 2018, 06:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We seem to have a number of expert luthiers in my hood ...David Webber, Michael Dunne and others.

I've discovered Morgan guitars out of North Vancouver. It is a one man operation with David Iannone.
David is a good friend of Jean Larrivee, and they go back forever. David was the man who gave the speech for Jean honoring him at the Vancouver guitar show last year.

Anyone own a Morgan? How is it?

I see them come up locally used, some kinda plain and some very bling. I like plain with bling wood haha.

https://www.morganguitars.com

Here's a guy playing one:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2FdIiZUrR74

I own three of them, they are really great guitars.  I also own three Northwood guitars built by John McQuarrie, another of Jean's pupils.  They all build fine guitars, better than any mass production manufacturer anywhere builds...  what they sound like is a loaded question, depends on size and wood choices...
George

Hi Casey,

Check out this discussion: David Iannone and the story behind my Morgan

Quote from: Casey86 on May 02, 2018, 06:08:53 PM
We seem to have a number of expert luthiers in my hood ...David Webber, Michael Dunne and others.

I've discovered Morgan guitars out of North Vancouver. It is a one man operation with David Iannone.
David is a good friend of Jean Larrivee, and they go back forever. David was the man who gave the speech for Jean honoring him at the Vancouver guitar show last year.

Anyone own a Morgan? How is it?

I see them come up locally used, some kinda plain and some very bling. I like plain with bling wood haha.

https://www.morganguitars.com

Here's a guy playing one:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2FdIiZUrR74

Wow that is impressive! A work of art that you can play.

I just have opened these guitars for myself and they are really amazing!
Hi to everybody here!

I own two of them and they are with out a doubt my two favorite guitars by far.  They are simply fantastic sounding and the build is second to none for the money IMHO.  Definitely a bargain in the acoustic guitar market.  I have a 2003 Morgan OMM solid mahogany B&S, soild sitka spruce top, and a 2017 Morgan OMR solid Rosewood B&S, solid sitka spruce top.  Even though I am not a bling guy, the Rosewood OM has a stone rosette and a Celtic green Morgan M on the head stock.  Man, it is a looker, too.  But, sound quality and build quality are the two most important things to me, and David nails both.  I could have 3 Morgans if someone would suddenly give me some money.   :bgrin: LOL.  No, if I do ever get another guitar, though, it probably will be another Morgan, or perhaps a Martin, but probably another Morgan.  I am that sold on them.  :thumb   :nice guitar:  

Bino

Guild Mahogany Sunburst Dreadnought D40 (2019)
Guild Maple Dreadnought D30 (2001)
Morgan OMM Mahogany OM (2003)
Morgan OMR Rosewood OM (2018)
Larrivee Mahogany L-Model L-05 (2008)
Larrivee Rosewood Dreadnought D-03R (2011) For Sale
Andrew White Cybele 110 (2018)

I haven't owned one, but not for lack of trying.

Day late, a dollar short, or beyond my medically imposed travel restrictions.

A Morgan rosewood OM is something I need. (to die peacefully  :arrow, surrounded by all my family)

Seriously: imo they're wonderful instruments. Like puppies, I've wanted to take home everyone I've had in my lap.

I'm not a huge fan of the bluer ones, aesthetically, but to each their own.

Congrat's to all those who have managed to acquire one. I'm truly envious.

:donut :donut2 :coffee :donut2 :donut

'05 Larrivée OM-03 bear claw
'08 Larrivée OM-03R
'13 Kronbauer TDK 285 koa custom
'19 Gnome Blues 00 EIR & T13 redwood
'94 Froggy Bottom koa custom dread'
'84 K. Yairi 377
'78 S. Yairi 726
circa 1905 Vega parlor
Stella 60's parlor with painted fret markers/ply'
'94 ('97) '62 reissue Saudi/Vegas/Nashville Tele'
'79 Epi Genesis DC thru

I have an OMR - 2003 model.
I rank it with all the top-dog guitars I have ever played, love it....
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

It is of my understanding that David came to some kind of agreement with Jean Larrivee in David's early days.
Basically, Jean supplied him with the bodies from his shop and David took it from there with his own appointments.

So at some point (not sure of the year) Morgan guitars, for the most part were built by Larrivee.

If you look at the earlier Morgan guitars (pre 2000) there is definitely a Larrivee brand going on.

I can't speak to the year when david became his own full on Luthier, nor can I speak to the details of what I just mentioned.

Morgan guitar website is showing off some lovely designs and builds.

I've heard nothing but good things about his work.
I've yet to play one.

Just my 23 cents worth and happy to be corrected on what ever information I have been given, that may be incorrect....

David Wren Guitars, on the other hand.......

oh my.....
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Played a few Morgan guitars - loved every one - though I cringe when the owners sometimes imply its a high end Larrivee
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on November 20, 2018, 05:31:19 PM
Played a few Morgan guitars - loved every one - though I cringe when the owners sometimes imply its a high end Larrivee
:donut :donut2 :coffee
I am not sure what you mean here. Of course I am easily confused.
Is a Morgan way more better than a high level Larrivee?
Or do we, high end Larrivee owners, should NOT be overly about having a guitar that can compete with a Morgan?
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Admittedly the majority of my ownership Larrivees are customs and Anniversary models. When I compare the Morgan Guitars - this is my base. My take is Morgan Guitars are damn nice guitars but not ones I would trade a Larrivee for let alone pay more for  to purchase. Their similarities are plenty.

I've been accused of being a FanBoy - don't know why I simply give my opinion - I have no ties to Larrivee other than I really like their guitars. They are not the only guitars I have but are the ones I like the most. If I see another guitar I really like such as a Morgan I'd buy it, fortunately for me the means isn't an issue - but I haven't.

I haven't thought too much as to why Morgan's cost more - because they can I guess. On the flip I haven't really thought too much as to why Larrivee cost less maybe because they can and possibly economy of scale - I donno. I do know IMO the wood and craftsmanship is not better on a Morgan than on my Larrivee Guitars
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on November 21, 2018, 09:07:54 AM
Admittedly the majority of my ownership Larrivees are customs and Anniversary models. When I compare the Morgan Guitars - this is my base. My take is Morgan Guitars are damn nice guitars but not ones I would trade a Larrivee for let alone pay more for  to purchase. Their similarities are plenty.

I've been accused of being a FanBoy - don't know why I simply give my opinion - I have no ties to Larrivee other than I really like their guitars. They are not the only guitars I have but are the ones I like the most. If I see another guitar I really like such as a Morgan I'd buy it, fortunately for me the means isn't an issue - but I haven't.

I haven't thought too much as to why Morgan's cost more - because they can I guess. On the flip I haven't really thought too much as to why Larrivee cost less maybe because they can and possibly economy of scale - I donno. I do know IMO the wood and craftsmanship is not better on a Morgan than on my Larrivee Guitars
That is a great answer, much more clear, and to be honest, a relief.
I have not ever even SEEN a Morgan in person, let alone play one. Maybe I have to drive up and visit George  :smile:
The really nice guitars I have been offered to try at Guitar Tex have not swayed my opinion on Larrivees.
My modest base of high end Larrivees is a couple of 10-series L-bodies, but all my Larrivees are nice looking, sweet sounding guitars.
I think maybe I am now set in my preferences.
But still.... long live the builders who have been influenced by Larrivee.
Mike

"fanboy"??????

unlike me, a self professed flag waving, card carrying, foot stomping larrivee player?

no fanboy crap for me...
Like over 50?

Quote from: headsup on November 21, 2018, 07:36:59 PM
"fanboy"??????
unlike me, a self professed flag waving, card carrying, foot stomping larrivee player?
You go on and be whatever you are.... we respect it.
I have also said, in the past and now, I am stuck on Larrivees. Sounds like Joyce is pretty well on board as well.
There is no long term history with me and Larrivee, nor do I have a familiarity with the family, or the older days of Larrivee.
Just the guitars I have, and play.
I am not aware of any Larrivee flags, or cards. Please let me know where I can get those.
Mike

ha!
well then there's the secret handshake, and the much sought after "ring" -
evasive to so many, perhaps it's just a rumour.

apparently if/when you find it, and put it on EVERY guitar sounds and plays as good as a Larrivee..... :bowdown:
Like over 50?

Quote from: headsup on November 22, 2018, 09:27:36 AM
ha!
well then there's the secret handshake, and the much sought after "ring" -
evasive to so many, perhaps it's just a rumour.

apparently if/when you find it, and put it on EVERY guitar sounds and plays as good as a Larrivee..... :bowdown:
I think the secret handshake is real. If you do a search for secret handshake.... well, let's just say many posts come up.
But I think the number of posts needed to get the handshake instructions is way more than I'll ever have.
However, I don't think the ring is real.

I think you are real. And I'm real grateful you keep sharing with us.
Mike