Gibson Files for Ch 11 Bankruptcy Protection

Started by Queequeg, May 01, 2018, 09:36:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I knew they were having their financial troubles, as it has been widely reported. WSJ reported the news today.
I have never been a big fan of their acoustics (just a personal preference) but respected their electrics, especially their jazz guitars.
We'll see if they find a buyer or if they get sliced and diced.
Odds are somebody will come along and make guitars with the Gibson name on them.

Odds are somebody will come along and make guitars with the Gibson name on them.

Somebody already does...Epiphone's...They have a better product then Gibson at a third the price.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: Barefoot Rob on May 01, 2018, 10:51:38 AM

Somebody already does...Epiphone's...They have a better product then Gibson at a third the price.
Tho I have come across a few of the Epi Elitist models that were nice  not sure I'd agree with that model. Not at all familiar with either's acoustics as never cared for them.

And by default wouldn't Epi be in the same soup as Gibson  :? Thus a moot point  :?
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Some of there acoustics aren't bad.some have solid tops.But if I was going to buy an electric I'd rather have an Epi.There Les pauls are really nice guitars so are the 335,330,175 and there Sheritan and there old style solid body's really nice stuff.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Gibson is a lesson in mismanagement and missing the boat:

Reputation management - Their current quality control is actually quite good, but after decades of poor QC their reputation still dogs them.

Wrong market - They completely missed the whole "unplugged" phenomenon, pushing more and more expensive electrics while the world headed towards acoustic rock.

Undercapitalization - Their US production lines are very labor intensive.  Taylor, Martin, and Larrivee invested heavily into CNC and automation, decreasing cost of operation and increasing quality.

Gibson USA doesn't actually make that many acoustics.  Larrivee may actually make more. (it's close) Their money has always been in high margin electrics and their imported Epiphone line.  The Epiphone line is ok as things go, but everyone in the SEA and PAC-Rim has really upped their game in the past few years.  I'd much rather have a new Chinese Alvarez or Breedlove than an Epiphone.

:donut :donut2 :coffee
There are many articles about all this tho many of them say similar things.
Most of them repeat that Gibson says the reorganization (whatever) will be invisible to the consumer. Right.
I have had a couple nice Gibson electrics in the past, tho now I am an Epiphone person. I have an EB-0 and a Sheraton II and like them both a lot.
Larrivee does not make an EB-0 type, nor a semi-hollow body, so there.
And since my experience with other makes of guitars on a worldwide basis is limited, I hope Gibson does indeed preserve and resume excellence on the musical instrument side.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

I agree - their acoustics are really hit and miss for quality. I feel lucky I got a good lefty J-45. But a lot of the Gibsons I've seen in the shop lately have not impressed me - either the quality of the woods used, or the construction. For what Gibson is offering, their acoustics are WAY overpriced.

But I hope they recover under new management.

Meanwhile, all in good fun...
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on May 02, 2018, 11:03:42 AM
For what Gibson is offering, their acoustics are WAY overpriced.

I rather agree.  Their most affordable Gibson branded acoustic is I believe the J-15.  It's pretty, but for the same price I could have a -40 series Larrivee, a US built Breedlove, a US built Guild D-20, or one of the GC custom Martins like the MMV.  And personally, I prefer the sound of any of those to the Gibson.

Management will still be there, if they get their way. This is a restructuring, not a liquidation. They hope to walk away from half a billion dollars in debt and live another day to make guitars. Their efforts at diversification didn't pan out, so they're retrenching and sticking it to some private equity firms.
Rob

Larrivee D-05
Larrivee RS-4 Custom (Arctic White)