Video

Started by Gordo in OZ, April 04, 2018, 08:14:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I just got given an iPad. I would like to make a video of my guitar playing. What is the best Apple thing to do that with? Preferably the best free thing. iPad is a new thing for me. Any tips about sound etc. also most appreciated.
Guild D55 (1974) Rosewood and Spruce.
Larrivee O-01 (2003) Maple Special Edition. Quilted Maple and Cedar top.
Larrivee OM 19 (2003) California Special Edition. Rosewood and Spruce
Larrivee L05 (1996) Customised. Mahogany and Cedar.
Taylor 714 CE (2015) Rosewood and Spruce
Marshall AC50D
Concertinas, harmoniums, mandolins and autoharps

The best ones I have seen/heard just use the standard iPhone app that comes with it.  Put the phone on a stand in front of you reasonably close enough to get the picture and sound you want.  You will be amazed at how good it sounds...
George

The built in video app on iPads is very good.

This app is amazing:

Filmic Pro

Amongst other things, it gives you more frame rates (24 fps - film-ish anyone?), different resolutions, different formats (2:2:1, HD, 4x3, etc) higher quality, pull-focus, and you can choose different targets for your focus and exposure (or pre-set them manually).

It's $15 in the U.S. store and worth every penny - you can install it on your phone as well.

Also from an audio point of view you can switch between front and rear mics, set audio rates (compressed and uncompressed).

When FocusRite had a sale on their web store I picked up an iTrack Pocket for $25. Between the iTrack Pocket and my iPad and I don't haul out the real audio recorder or video camera as often.

Quote from: skyline on April 10, 2018, 10:47:10 AM
The built in video app on iPads is very good.

This app is amazing:

Filmic Pro

Amongst other things, it gives you more frame rates (24 fps - film-ish anyone?), different resolutions, different formats (2:2:1, HD, 4x3, etc) higher quality, pull-focus, and you can choose different targets for your focus and exposure (or pre-set them manually).

It's $15 in the U.S. store and worth every penny - you can install it on your phone as well.

Also from an audio point of view you can switch between front and rear mics, set audio rates (compressed and uncompressed).

When FocusRite had a sale on their web store I picked up an iTrack Pocket for $25. Between the iTrack Pocket and my iPad and I don't haul out the real audio recorder or video camera as often.

I am impressed!  with both.  Now if I did not already Have a Q8...
George

Quote from: George on April 10, 2018, 11:02:37 AM
I am impressed!  with both.  Now if I did not already Have a Q8...

Zoom builds great kit. The Zoom H2n is still my go-to-unit for serious-but-quick audio - it's just that i-thingies always seem to be closer-to-hand.

Samsung, Apple, LG et al keep pushing the capabilities of phones and tablets, so with Shure and many other mic manufacturers chiming in - you really need to weigh your "field recording" options carefully now.

When you add in the number of audio/video/midi editing apps available it is becoming increasingly harder to go with a "dedicated" audio or video device.