Started by Caleb, March 04, 2005, 09:49:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Estaban  :ph34r:

Yamaki

Larrivee D60
Taylor 422 Maple
Delux Tele Plus

I believe that it is an Electra.

Here is a picture of a headstock of another Electra model.

One of the very best imports of the time along with the ST Blues line imported by Strings and Things.
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

Congratulations Don.

It is an Electra "Elvin Bishop" model. With a little patience, and some good luck, you can snag one of these for a very good price. This is truly one of those "don't look at the label, just play the thing" guitars.

The SLM on the truss rod cover stands for St. Louis Music.  St. Louis Music imported these, as well as Alvarez, and currently manufactures Crate and Ampeg amplifiers in the U.S., while Alvarez instruments are designed in St. Louis and produced overseas. They have just been purchased by Loud Technologies, the parent company to Mackie.

Ron
Ron

Thanks. Should be a great guitar to pick up if you can find one.

As for the ST Blues, I was wrong, they aren't an import. But they are a pretty good guitar and if you can find one, they are usually at a pretty attractive price!
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

Ive got a Peavey T-60 that i love...totally mint conditioon with the original case too...its a fun guitar to play. Ive got an Epihpone Les Paul Custom that i did a bunch of custom stuff to...maple pickguard and trussrod cover, with my name engraved in it. etc. and ive also got a mid 80s larrivee strat off-white with an ebony fretboard and single coil larrivee pickups. its a great guitar...it sounds like a strat but almost feels like a larrivee acoustic with a strat body hahaha.

...some nice guitars there guys; I've heard great things about the Carvin DC-400, also like the G+L ASAT. I'm currently on the prowl for a 2nd electric myself...

Someone asked abut MIM strats, I used to own one, a Jimmie Vaughan signature. It was a fine guitar, the only complaint I had was the pickguard lifted off the body a bit from bad drilling. In fact, I recently bought a MIM Fender Mike Dirnt bass and that has the same problem! Other than that tho, it was fine. Don't pay more than $350 used. Apparently some of the latest Jap strats are well worth a look too if the US ones are too expensive for you. Stay away from Squires tho, they are muck. Just go to a shop and stand a strat beside one and you'll see the difference, you won't even bother picking one up!  If anyone else has recommendations on which particular Japs and Mex's are standouts, please share.

My guitar is a '94 PRS CE24, made just before they went to machine-built models. Its got the slim heel(unlike newer models) so its a nice guitar;

I've recently decided to get a 2nd electric as I've already said, and one problem I've found is that quality user info is hard to come by. The boards are full of kids! I've got about $500 to spend and maybe more later on new pickups etc.  Been looking at Carvins and G+L's a bit but I;m still getting a feel for prices on those - I had originally planned on an Epiphone and changing the pickups but no-one seems to know what models are worth a look apart from the LP custom.

Anyone else got any suggestions for my budget?

Cheers
Neil
'94 PRS CE24
POS Yahama acoustic, replacing w/ Larrivee soon

I just got me a new Tele; an Americian Ash .
It's now my main electric,and it's beautiful. This guitar is a perfect blend of Vintage and Modern....like a 52ri and an American Standard got it on one night!!! (lol)
Honey Blonde finish, w/ TONS of grain showing through, thick black 1pc guard, U shaped maple neck w/ modern radius and Am satin finish, smaller headstock w/ staggered tuners and round string T, Vintage/Modern pups, ferrous modern Tele bridge w/chrome plated saddles,Delta TOne knob, @ 7LBS.
This Tele has the nicest wiry snarl of any non-CS Tele I've played. It's a country machine!!! It plays like a dream, and looks the buisness.
Ian
Larrivee L-05[brGitane' DG-300 & DG-250 ] 2009 Fender RW Telecaster (Barden pickups/bridge)
97 Telecaster Plus
87 Telecaster
01 Warmoth Tele

01 Danelectro Baritone
  DR.Z MAZ 38 SR,
Visual Sound Route 66/H2o[Breedlove 00 Mandolin,Banjo's,

"...never could stand that dog..."Tom Waits

Neil,
Had I not found my new Fender, G&L would'a been my next choice. The Tribute series models I've tried have all been stupidly good for the $$$.
Alot of guys have had luck with the MIM Fenders,myself included. The 50's Telecaster for instance enjoys huge popularity in Tele circles. My 60's Strat broke my Stratocaster exile, I just love it. The MIJ models are tremendous guitars as well, with tons of models to choose from. The build quality is as high as most products that come from Japan. (I'm a wee bit of a Fender snob btw....I you haven't figured THAT out by now ,lol)
Actually, there's quite a few people who are singing the praises of the Squier 51'. It's like Fender's take on the Robin Ranger; Strat body, 51 P-Bass pickguard, Tele neck, bridge Humbucker/neck Strat pup, UNDER $200.00!!!!
Ian
Larrivee L-05[brGitane' DG-300 & DG-250 ] 2009 Fender RW Telecaster (Barden pickups/bridge)
97 Telecaster Plus
87 Telecaster
01 Warmoth Tele

01 Danelectro Baritone
  DR.Z MAZ 38 SR,
Visual Sound Route 66/H2o[Breedlove 00 Mandolin,Banjo's,

"...never could stand that dog..."Tom Waits

Here's a pic of my favorite rig, my '58 Strat and my '95 Matchless Clubman 35:

Almost impossible to get a bad sound out of it! :)  
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2

Hang,
It looks like your Strat needs to go in for a new paint job. I tell you what, i have new American SEries srat in Sunburst that I would be willing to trade you. Oh and only because you are a owner of 3 blackwood guitar. ;)  

Ooh I finally found pictures of my Godin.

The artist formerly known as larriboy
Larrivée D-03R

QuoteHang,
It looks like your Strat needs to go in for a new paint job. I tell you what, i have new American SEries srat in Sunburst that I would be willing to trade you. Oh and only because you are a owner of 3 blackwood guitar. ;)
I just bought a new paint roller and some green latex paint, thought I'd try to match the color of my amp.  I'll let you know if it doesn't work out, I might be willing to trade then.... <_<
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW

QuoteHang,
ive always loved the look of a well worn strat...i think thats beautiful just the way it is. strats have a very distinct way of wearing that gives a guitar a real character. they age so nice.

Just got an LP Standard doublecut in flame amber.  I'm really diggin' it at this point but dual hum guitars never last very long with me for some reason.  There has always been "something" I dislike about them after owning them for several months.  I hope this one is "it."
More than I deserve.

Lots of Strats and Teles, I'm surprised I haven't seen a PRS or a Gibson in this mix.
05 Larrivee LV-05 (L.R. Baggs Imix)
03 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24
99 Fender DG-24 MA
Mesa Boogie Road King II Head & Mesa Road King 2x12 Cab

I have a Prs Custom 22. Amber 10 top. Birds. 3-way toggle(sp order).

-Ash
-Ash

Taylor JDCM (all koa GA with cutaway and ES)
Taylor Baby
Larrivee L-05
PRS Custom 22 (Amber)

QuoteI have a Prs Custom 22. Amber 10 top. Birds. 3-way toggle(sp order).

-Ash
My Dream Electric at the moment, only I want a 24 fret  :D  
05 Larrivee LV-05 (L.R. Baggs Imix)
03 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24
99 Fender DG-24 MA
Mesa Boogie Road King II Head & Mesa Road King 2x12 Cab

QuoteHang,
ive always loved the look of a well worn strat...i think thats beautiful just the way it is. strats have a very distinct way of wearing that gives a guitar a real character. they age so nice.
Thanks Frets, I agree, something about a well worn Strat that is easy on the eye.  The nitro finish is really thin, I think it helps with the overall tone of the machine. ;)  
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW

Evil Dave strikes again he made me a stupid good deal on this one.

My Dotter and I will be splitting time with this one. It's an early end of school year present for someone who has gone through heck this year.

might as well get this out of the way while I'm at it.  :D

Shad
====
Help is on the way. A government team of experts Is a'rushin' to your aid... --Stephen Stills

Martin 000-18GE
Weber Diamondback Custom
LP R9
PRS MC58
PRS DGT LTD

Sweet looking G&L Shad but you forgot the applefritters... :(  
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW