Baggs Pickup Wiring can cause a Subtle Buzz

Started by Casey86, March 21, 2018, 10:16:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noticed a subtle buzz on the bass strings while playing acoustically with my thumb. Could not hear it with a pick. Once aware of this it becomes unbearable! It is a sound of the bass note not being 100% pure.

Had the D40re one week and it is still a bit dry from its journey. Thinking it may be the new strings I put on, a loose brace, string ball ends, humidity or something else.

Took the strings off, tapped the top listening for a loose brace, looked inside with a mirror and light. The bracing and construction is perfect. Found the wiring for the Baggs Element is super tight near the bridge and TOUCHING. Pulled it away just a bit, there is not much to work with. Installed the strings carefully, with the pins and ball ends setup perfect.

The wiring touching the bridge or top on the way to the bridge was the culprit.

Buzz now gone!

Same guitar. Same issue.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

The cable exiting any passive piezo (ceramic or film) is extremely "microphonic" and remains so until it reaches the first buffering/gain stage.

Even the installation instructions for a K&K tells you to "coil" the excess wiring while installing the endpin jack.  I did not do this once, and everywhere it touched the guitar was highly microphonic.  Very much noise that is not supposed to be there.  To say the least I followed the instructions from there on out...
George

Most factory installed pu's seem to be the same,make it tight leave little to none to work with.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Started buzzing again!

Ok, have some nice JP strings sitting there waiting to get put on so here we go for another round.
Took a close look at the wiring and noticed that you can pull the metal cord through the bridge about an 1/8th of an inch and the wiring appears to clear the top better.

Buzz gone for now.