Current Eagles

Started by Walkerman, March 18, 2018, 09:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saw that the current Eagles tour will include two new band members... Deacon Frey and .... Vince Gill.  Should be interesting.  Gill is one of my favorite performers, and one hell of a guitar player.

Quote from: Walkerman on March 18, 2018, 09:16:16 PM
Saw that the current Eagles tour will include two new band members... Deacon Frey and .... Vince Gill.  Should be interesting.  Gill is one of my favorite performers, and one hell of a guitar player.

I too am a long time Vince Gill fan Steve.  Plays a mean guitar and sings like a bird...  I hope they do some filming I bought a DTS DVD of one tour that was fantastic.  It felt like you were in the audience.  This should be an interesting tour.
George

Color me not interested. Vince Gill is great but I don't see him as an Eagle. It's basically the Don Henley Band now. The Eagles are .... already gone. At the last resort.

Quote from: ducktrapper on March 19, 2018, 08:14:02 AM
Color me not interested. Vince Gill is great but I don't see him as an Eagle. It's basically the Don Henley Band now. The Eagles are .... already gone. At the last resort.
I dunno.  JW and Timothy have been stars pre-Eagles.  I went to a concert a few years back.  They put on a great show.  I imagine they still will.

Ahhhhhh, the last resort. A really great song.  I saw them at a summertime concert at the Santa Barbara Bowl.  Started in daylight.  I thought they missed a once in a lifetime chance by not doing the Last Resort as we in the audience watched the sun setting in the sea.

It is true they have been overexposed, but I mostly listen to talk radio so I only hear them when I want to, so I am still OK with them.

Quote from: Walkerman on March 19, 2018, 08:50:56 AM
I dunno.  JW and Timothy have been stars pre-Eagles.  I went to a concert a few years back.  They put on a great show.  I imagine they still will.

Ahhhhhh, the last resort. A really great song.  I saw them at a summertime concert at the Santa Barbara Bowl.  Started in daylight.  I thought they missed a once in a lifetime chance by not doing the Last Resort as we in the audience watched the sun setting in the sea.

It is true they have been overexposed, but I mostly listen to talk radio so I only hear them when I want to, so I am still OK with them.

Oh I'm sure they're capable of entertaining but they're only pretending to be Eagles, at this point. I made the mistake of buying the last album. I think I may have played it three times.

Thanks Steve, that was a very enlightening bit of historical information I had never seen before.  I have their live performance video of Hell Freezes Over on DTS DVD and it is one of the most spectacular Eagles recordings I have ever had the pleasure of viewing/hearing...  I think that the fact that they still exist after all this time is absolutely phenomenal.
George

Quote from: Walkerman on March 19, 2018, 09:04:45 AM
Who were/are the Eagles?  Take your pick

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/eagles-lineup-changes/

The Eagles were mainly Glen Frey and Don Henley and ... company. The Beatles may have gotten away with different Georges and Ringos but neither McCartney nor Lennon could have gone on as The Beatles without the other, imho. And to their credit, neither tried. This is now The Don Henley Band. They may be quite good, maybe better, but they are not The Eagles. It's like George Washington's axe.

I used to love the Eagles.  I gave up trying to see them play in concert when the price jumped up into the hundreds of dollars. Wouldn't pay to see them play now with this new lineup at that kind of expense either.   I'm sure Vince Gill will add a terrific vocal and guitar element.. things the Eagles have always been known for.

I long for the days when concerts were affordable to anyone.  Example....   1977..   Saw the Eagles, Linda Rondstadt, and Jimmy Buffet  on one bill for under ten bucks.
Linda in her girl scout uniform with short-shorts was worth the price of admission.

Quote from: tuffythepug on March 19, 2018, 01:55:09 PM
 Saw the Eagles, Linda Rondstadt, and Jimmy Buffet on one bill for under ten bucks.
Linda in her girl scout uniform with short-shorts was worth the price of admission.
I'd buy cookies from her.

If you have Netflix, there is a History of The Eagles...  3 hrs worth.  It was an interesting watch.

Ed

Quote from: Queequeg on March 19, 2018, 02:47:22 PM
I'd buy cookies from her.

Interesting fact..  Girl Scout Cookies contain no actual girl scouts.  Don't ask them about it though.... they don't have a sense of humor.   :wink:

Interesting, that is a Cub Scout uni.  Girl Scouts wear green ones.  Also of note, Henley and Frey started out in her back up band.

Quote from: Walkerman on March 19, 2018, 06:25:31 PM
Interesting, that is a Cub Scout uni.  Girl Scouts wear green ones.  Also of note, Henley and Frey started out in her back up band.

I mis-spoke earlier.  She was wearing the cub scout uniform when I saw her.   Eagles and Rondstadt were just about in their prime at that time (1977)   

Ticket prices should be insane.   They are one of the highest ticket acts out there today.  Gill is a great guitarist but I have never understood how he made it as a singer.   

I wouldn't pay a hundred bucks to see the second coming let alone a band.  :beer

Quote from: ducktrapper on March 19, 2018, 09:41:05 PM
I wouldn't pay a hundred bucks to see the second coming let alone a band.  :beer

A hundred bucks will get you in the cheap seats.

My favorite place for cheap concerts was the Golden Bear .... just a couple of blocks from my house in the 70's

https://www.facebook.com/goldenbearhb/

Quote from: Walkerman on March 19, 2018, 06:25:31 PM

Interesting, that is a Cub Scout uni.  Girl Scouts wear green ones.

Are you accusing her of cross-dressing?

:wink:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Walkerman on March 20, 2018, 05:45:41 PM
A hundred bucks will get you in the cheap seats.

My favorite place for cheap concerts was the Golden Bear .... just a couple of blocks from my house in the 70's

https://www.facebook.com/goldenbearhb/

Living for a while ins S.F. in the 60's I got spoiled by seeing three bands for about $3.50 at the Fillmore West, Winterland, and other venues.  Sometimes you even got a treat at the door. :wink:

Quote from: ducktrapper on March 19, 2018, 01:01:10 PM
The Eagles were mainly Glen Frey and Don Henley and ... company. The Beatles may have gotten away with different Georges and Ringos but neither McCartney nor Lennon could have gone on as The Beatles without the other, imho. And to their credit, neither tried. This is now The Don Henley Band. They may be quite good, maybe better, but they are not The Eagles. It's like George Washington's axe.

Interesting, but the Stones record and tour with only three of the original members.  The Who with only two original members.  No one says they aren't the Stones or The Who.  Henley, Schmidt and Walsh have been with the Eagles forever.  Seems to me they are still the Eagles, and will sound like the Eagles have always sounded.