Larrivee JB Jr pickup wiring

Started by tulk1, March 17, 2018, 08:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm going to toss a Seymour Duncan JB jr in the bridge pos on my Lancaster. Could I assume that Matthew's wiring bias/schema follows follows SD? Would seem logical, but thought it couldn't hurt to ask.
Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."

It didn't hurt at all,the duncan should be a drop in.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Thought you might know, Unca.  Thanks!
Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."

Yeppers. Dropped right in. Maybe 15 minutes total. Sounds pretty dandy, too. I'm surprised at the quack I still get in Pos 2. It's not as pronounced. But it's there. Like a darker quack.  :wacko: And I left the Larrivee wiring of mid pos = Neck/Bridge. So that is a bit unique sound now, too.
Kenny

Interesting thread.
I am looking at a Lancaster on line, and the owner swapped out the bridge pick-up as well for some reason.
so I gotta ask, as I just posted a wanted lancaster in the trade/wanted forum- what's the issue-to you ears with the bridge pup?
and the "quack"?
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

My problem is I eventually (and apparently) come to hate all Strat bridge pickups I ever have/had in my guitars. Too brittle, too bright, not enough "umph!" for me. The operative here being "me". And that is the only reason I swap them out. I even changed out my Eric Johnson Strat bridge pup. Used a really nice P90 single coil sized from Rio Grande. Loved that. Just decided to try the JB Jr in the Lancaster. Which, btw, I like everything else about. Stellar guitar. So, just saying it wouldn't matter what "Strat", I'd probably swap out the bridge pup for anything other than a Strat bridge pickup.

Oh, and I love the Pos 2 quack. And Pos 4 quack. In my country band I ride those for nearly every song. I was surprised at how much quack the swap out retained. Some have mentioned loosing it altogether.
Kenny

I posted a review of the SCM pick ups and the S1 Switch I just discovered on the "other guitar makers forum"
but I agree, if there is no tone for the bridge pup, they can be a bit brittle.
Like over 50?

I've always felt that the Tele bridge pickup is the most versatile bridge position pickup out there - again, riding the tone control to get what you want. I'd prefer to have a Tele bridge pickup in all my "strats"... it has much more body and punch.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on March 21, 2018, 11:10:42 AM
I've always felt that the Tele bridge pickup is the most versatile bridge position pickup out there - again, riding the tone control to get what you want. I'd prefer to have a Tele bridge pickup in all my "strats"... it has much more body and punch.

Why is that? In my Bakersfield I love the bridge pickup. I did take out the SD Broadcaster that came in it. Had a BG Pups custom wind made for it. But! I could have probably lived with the SDB, given time. And it's really another Tele Bridge Pup. But in a Strat it just doesn't work for me.

While we're on this subject, sorta - why do they always angle the Strat bridge pup towards the bridge? Where's it's even MORE strident and susceptible to overly bright tones? Never understood that.
Kenny

I think it's more to get the bass part of the pup away from the bridge overtones,
Like over 50?