what does it sound like?

Started by discokvn, March 16, 2018, 08:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

So I was scampering around on the website and saw this OM-03Z African Zebrano and was wondering what the tone on the guitar was like.

anyone?

I've seen it described as being a bit like EIR. I've worked with it and it was hard but with pores, not unlike EIR.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

I've had an L-03 Z for a while and I'll give you my two ¢.  I have looked all over the web to find tonal descriptions of zebrawood and I found it described as sounding like rosewood, mahogany, or walnut.  My own personal experience is that it's somewhat of a "tweener".  In other words, it kind of sits between rosewood and mahogany.  It's "darker" sounding than mahogany but not quite as dark as rosewood.  The bass is not as deep as it is in rosewood and the mids are more accentuated.  What makes it even a little harder to describe is that on my guitar it's paired with an Austrian spruce (moonwood) top, which also influences the tone.  Wildwood Music has carried a lot of Larrivees with zebrano and you could call them and ask them about it.  Ironically, I've seen them describe it sounding like rosewood on one of their guitar descriptions and mahogany on another, so there you go.

African Zebra wood? Hard to describe ... in black and white.   :whistling:

I had an LS-03ZW.  It does sound a lot like Rosewood, but the LS was not as strong on the bass end as a larger body would be.  The mids and highs were clear and crisp.  Lots of projection like EIR.
George

Quote from: ducktrapper on March 17, 2018, 09:51:35 AM
African Zebra wood? Hard to describe ... in black and white.   :whistling:

But could you dance about architecture?

okay, that was helpful!  thank you!