Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Detuned on the RS2  (Read 281 times)
tulk1

Ignore
« on: March 12, 2018, 01:31:18 PM »

The drummer in my "other band" wants to sing some songs. Fair enough. But there are already 2 strikes: 1. He doesn't have that great a voice. 2. He's a drummer with not that great a voice! ........... 

This band is really that ... a group of guys banded together just to play some tunes, have some fun. So, just about anything goes. Don't like a song? We don't do it. Can't make a get together? We'll do it next time we're all free. Things like that. Not that we don't rehearse and want to sound good. Just a bit more laid back than the performing country band. Okay, that said ..........

The drummer really does want to sing. But the songs are a bit out of his range. Hence, lets drop one guitar a whole tone and see what happens. The guitar of choice was the RS-2, as it's been relegated to case duty lately. I tried tuning the regular 10s to D Standard. Uh, no! Sloppy, sloppy, no tone. Was like playing rubber bands. This weekend I picked up a set of DR DDT 11-52 (DeTune) strings. They say they're made specifically for tuning down a step, maybe 2. Got to say, tuned to D Standard they feel just like 10s on that guitar. Seem to hold tuning well, also. The weird thing is, when I first pick up the guitar it sounds almost out of tune. Which I guess it is, sorta. The low D gives me fits, as I do a bit of Drop D in the country band. But, a few minutes in my ears start to adjust and it doesn't seem quite as weird. First band trial with the D Standard tuning will be this coming Saturday, the 17th. Hope the bass player can transpose on the fly!!

Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 03:09:46 PM »

Look at what happened to CCR when the drummer thought he could sing and write.   
tulk1

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 11:24:29 PM »

Look at what happened to CCR when the drummer thought he could sing and write.   
Oh, so THATs what happened to them .... 

I will say, my drummer has come up with a few nice ditties. I take them and make songs of them. He came up with the intro ditty for THIS ONE. I did the rest.

Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 01:48:19 AM »

Look at what happened to Genesis when
Phil Collins thought he could sing.........
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: