Detuned on the RS2

Started by tulk1, March 12, 2018, 08:31:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The drummer in my "other band" wants to sing some songs. Fair enough. But there are already 2 strikes: 1. He doesn't have that great a voice. 2. He's a drummer with not that great a voice! ...........  :humour:

This band is really that ... a group of guys banded together just to play some tunes, have some fun. So, just about anything goes. Don't like a song? We don't do it. Can't make a get together? We'll do it next time we're all free. Things like that. Not that we don't rehearse and want to sound good. Just a bit more laid back than the performing country band. Okay, that said ..........

The drummer really does want to sing. But the songs are a bit out of his range. Hence, lets drop one guitar a whole tone and see what happens. The guitar of choice was the RS-2, as it's been relegated to case duty lately. I tried tuning the regular 10s to D Standard. Uh, no! Sloppy, sloppy, no tone. Was like playing rubber bands. This weekend I picked up a set of DR DDT 11-52 (DeTune) strings. They say they're made specifically for tuning down a step, maybe 2. Got to say, tuned to D Standard they feel just like 10s on that guitar. Seem to hold tuning well, also. The weird thing is, when I first pick up the guitar it sounds almost out of tune. Which I guess it is, sorta. The low D gives me fits, as I do a bit of Drop D in the country band. But, a few minutes in my ears start to adjust and it doesn't seem quite as weird. First band trial with the D Standard tuning will be this coming Saturday, the 17th. Hope the bass player can transpose on the fly!!
Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."

Look at what happened to CCR when the drummer thought he could sing and write.   :winkin:

Quote from: ducktrapper on March 12, 2018, 10:09:46 AM
Look at what happened to CCR when the drummer thought he could sing and write.   :winkin:
Oh, so THATs what happened to them ....  :arrow

I will say, my drummer has come up with a few nice ditties. I take them and make songs of them. He came up with the intro ditty for THIS ONE. I did the rest.

Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."

Look at what happened to Genesis when
Phil Collins thought he could sing.........