Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Serial Number Cutoff for the new/old fretboard Radius?  (Read 740 times)
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: March 10, 2018, 03:11:42 AM »

We know that the fretboard radius changed in October of 2017. 

Anyone know if there is a specific serial number cutoff? 

Spotted an OM-40WL on Reverb, and obviously the older compound radius would be more appealing.

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
J M Larrivée

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 10:03:06 PM »

There is no cut-off serial number. Guitars do not cross the finish line in sequential order. Late 131xxx's were coming through at that time. But, there may be a few 130xxx's still to go that have been waiting for custom inlays or other features. Some guitars get sent back for rework or new necks as well.

To give you an idea... 132xxx's were just getting started last October and are only just now getting finished. And while 132xxx's are now getting finished, many 131xxx's will still follow. For example, satins move significantly faster then glossy.

Many Thanks

Pathfinder

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 10:52:01 PM »

As a new Larrivee owner. L-03E 2017 would be 16-21 compound? Is that correct?
Thanks very Much
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 01:53:23 AM »

Thanks very Much

Frank, you have the build date already?  Any guitar built prior to October 1, 17 will have the compound radius...

George
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 02:31:51 AM »

Thanks very Much
If you don't get the info you need, you can print radius diagrams, cut them carefully, and check your fret board with them. I've done this to get measurements for custom capos.

D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
Pathfinder

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 04:09:25 AM »

Thanks Guys........I have seen 16-21 and 17-21. Guess either is close enough

Reagrds    :-)
Pathfinder

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 03:10:04 PM »

The radius is the ONLY thing I do NOT like about Larrivee guitars (and the tons of others who do this nearly flat radius)
sub rosa

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 05:17:47 PM »

I can't say I've ever put much thought into the radius; for me it's either comfortable to play or not.

For me Larrivee has been very comfortable. If it weren't, I'd be looking at another brand.

2007 Larrivée L-03SP Sapele Top
LR Baggs Session DI - LR Baggs M1A
Pathfinder

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 09:31:24 PM »

The only reason I like to see numbers is so I know which radius and nut width I like best in each scenario. i.e., rock electric, jazzy electric, finger picking acoustic, Strumming hard and playing bar chords on an acoustic. Part of the reason I prefer more curve is because I have been playing fender starts and teles all my life. 7.5" or 9.5". I prefer the more modern fender which is 9.5". Never played (for any meaningful length of time) Gibsons. 12" and others that have a flatter fingerboard. Having arthritis is a factor also.
Only acoustic I have owned since 1989 is a takamine I bought in 89.12" radius. Still are to this day. Many older martins also are 12" and most gibsons today and yesterday are 12" radius. Collings and others are 12". Breedlove and many, many others, well most others are 14 to 16", with 16" getting the edge.

Many acoustic sites-Larrivee, Breedlove and others do not list the radius which I find annoying.why can't they add it? I get, maybe many players don't care. But why not put it there for the players that do? Certainly doesn't hurt the others

Well that's my .95 cents
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 11:10:17 PM »

I can't say I've ever put much thought into the radius; for me it's either comfortable to play or not.

For me Larrivee has been very comfortable. If it weren't, I'd be looking at another brand.

Same here.

The thing is, it has changed.  If your guitar is over a year or so old, it has the old radii (compound radius), if not, it is the new one. 

Sometimes, there is too much data...  and sometimes we let numbers (and not actual feel) dictate our judgement.  I say, play the thing.  If it feels right. its fine.  If not, find another guitar.

ed
Pathfinder

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 12:08:14 AM »

I understand that you folks don't care. That's cool.

I do and always will.
Rockysdad

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 01:25:08 AM »

I understand that you folks don't care. That's cool.

I do and always will.
I'd interpret other responses as, for "some" it's not a factor and for others it is. I've not been  bothered by the difference in fret board radius, but I do notice the width, and profile of the necks on different guitars, in these situations I've got preferences.

L-10 my fav.
& "others"
mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 01:54:38 AM »

The only reason I like to see numbers is so I know which radius and nut width I like best in each scenario. i.e., ((etc, etc, blah, blah))
You are a particular fellow.
With a very particular bellow.
Mike
Pathfinder

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 03:12:56 AM »

I'd interpret other responses as, for "some" it's not a factor and for others it is. I've not been  bothered by the difference in fret board radius, but I do notice the width, and profile of the necks on different guitars, in these situations I've got preferences.

I agree to a point. Some seem to imply it's, like, wow, why bother.  That I do not understand.
Also do not get the big joke Bellow?

mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2018, 03:28:12 AM »

I agree to a point. Some seem to imply it's, like, wow, why bother.  That I do not understand.
Also do not get the big joke Bellow?
I am a poet,
but I didn't know it,
until my feet showed it.
cause they're long fellows.

Where were YOU when the lights went out?
Mike
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2018, 02:35:08 AM »

I can play anything 15" or flatter fairly comfortably.   My favorites are Larrrivee's 17-21 compound or Rainsongs's 20" though.

Was looking at a used OM-40W on Reverb.  Was originally purchased in October of 17 which is why I was asking if there was a cutoff.  I can certainly deal with a 16" Martin type radius since I have a D-35.  It would simply be more appealing if it was the compound one.

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: