Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So I want Gloss not Satin- Dilemma indeed  (Read 1598 times)
Paraclete

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2018, 06:26:10 AM »

I totally get it....and also the part about being able to afford only one.  So keep looking.  That might be next week, and it might take months or years.   Would you have the flexibility to buy another while in the process of selling the one you have?  I don’t have any great advice....just empathy.  Best of luck on your continued search.

2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1935 A-OO Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2018, 06:31:00 AM »

Hmmm? That is dead wrong. I have 3 electrics I have had forever. I tried to explain, but I guess you do NOT get\believe? what I said. I settled, strong word there. Thought I could make it work for all the reasons everyone has mentioned. I am not a child.

If this was what I originally set my mind to, It would be fine and done.The fact that I keep posting is because I am trying to MAKE myself settle. I am sorry I posted. I will not post again about something so personal. My bad there. That is when people you do not kow seem to think they know you and how you think and live. Sorry............Can a moderator please close this thread.

Yikes, I was trying to give honest, helpful advice based on experience and observation and I have no clue why you took any of that as some sort of personal offense but if you choose to do that, I guess there's nothing I can do other than try to explain my perspective.
Acoustics are far more complicated, sonically, than electrics because of the vast number of styles, woods, and how they interact with the environment they are played in.  Trying them in stores is tough because they never seem to sound the same at home.  IIRC, you were looking for advice so I gather that you haven't owned a lot of different acoustic body styles, woods, etc.  Some people get one and are done.  Many get one and decide that something slightly different would be even better.  That's not uncommon and it doesn't mean anyone is calling you a child.

Even when you find something that is "perfect" for you in the moment, that may soon change as your ear develops, fingers strengthen and become more agile in acoustic playing, as you try other acoustics.  If you didn't like my advice, I'm totally comfortable with that.  It's a forum, not a support group, and we must be comfortable disagreeing with each other. I was trying to be helpful but there is an "ignore" button you can use if I bother you.

D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
Pathfinder

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2018, 08:03:17 AM »

I totally get it....and also the part about being able to afford only one.  So keep looking.  That might be next week, and it might take months or years.   Would you have the flexibility to buy another while in the process of selling the one you have?  I don’t have any great advice....just empathy.  Best of luck on your continued search.

Yes I can do that. I have been searching. BTW, Larrivees have been my only searc
Pathfinder

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2018, 08:09:15 AM »

Yikes, I was trying to give honest, helpful advice based on experience and observation and I have no clue why you took any of that as some sort of personal offense but if you choose to do that, I guess there's nothing I can do other than try to explain my perspective.
Acoustics are far more complicated, sonically, than electrics because of the vast number of styles, woods, and how they interact with the environment they are played in.  Trying them in stores is tough because they never seem to sound the same at home.  IIRC, you were looking for advice so I gather that you haven't owned a lot of different acoustic body styles, woods, etc.  Some people get one and are done.  Many get one and decide that something slightly different would be even better.  That's not uncommon and it doesn't mean anyone is calling you a child.

Even when you find something that is "perfect" for you in the moment, that may soon change as your ear develops, fingers strengthen and become more agile in acoustic playing, as you try other acoustics.  If you didn't like my advice, I'm totally comfortable with that.  It's a forum, not a support group, and we must be comfortable disagreeing with each other. I was trying to be helpful but there is an "ignore" button you can use if I bother you.

Just has become a serious issue here at home. How ridiculous is that? So, yup, I am a bit touchy, but I can fix that.You mention the "ignore feature"........... I should ignore myself.
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2018, 11:20:30 AM »

Just has become a serious issue here at home. How ridiculous is that? So, yup, I am a bit touchy, but I can fix that.You mention the "ignore feature"........... I should ignore myself.
Happens to all of us. No worries. Hope it all works out.

D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2018, 02:02:41 PM »

Another option might be to find someone that could put a gloss finish on the one you have?  Usually costs less than buying and/or trading for another guitar.

George
Pathfinder

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2018, 06:06:17 PM »

Another option might be to find someone that could put a gloss finish on the one you have?  Usually costs less than buying and/or trading for another guitar.

I thought of that but I thought the maple binding would be an issue.
sub rosa

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2018, 06:11:57 PM »

I thought of that but I thought the maple binding would be an issue.
I don't think that would be a problem; however it sounds like it would be a bandaid to what you're looking for.

My vote: continue looking for the guitar you want, in the meantime move this one along.

2007 Larrivée L-03SP Sapele Top
LR Baggs Session DI - LR Baggs M1A
Pathfinder

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2018, 06:27:23 PM »

I don't think that would be a problem; however it sounds like it would be a bandaid to what you're looking for.

My vote: continue looking for the guitar you want, in the meantime move this one along.

My thoughts exactly. This thread, even with my ridiculous back and forth, has really helped me make this choice. Yes I will certainly lose on the L-03E, but my mind and home life will benefit. No contest there.
Thanks for your help.
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2018, 06:33:14 PM »

My thoughts exactly. This thread, even with my ridiculous back and forth, has really helped me make this choice. Yes I will certainly lose on the L-03E, but my mind and home life will benefit. No contest there.
Thanks for your help.

You gotta go with your gut man!  BTW, did you ever get the forum theme you wanted?

George
Pathfinder

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2018, 08:52:43 PM »

You gotta go with your gut man!  BTW, did you ever get the forum theme you wanted?
Yes I did, with your Help.............Thanks George
Frank
rosborn

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2018, 01:44:38 AM »

All I can suggest is to be happy that you have a nice guitar that you like. A bird in the hand and all that. There's no guarantee that the guitar that has the woods and finish you prefer will be a better guitar. But good luck. Nothing much we can do to help with this decision. 

There you go. This is what you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2018, 02:28:22 AM »

Hi Pathfinder,

Life's too short to settle for the wrong guitar. Sometimes you have to go through a few to understand what you want, and what you're willing to do to get it. For me, it was a moving target. Hanging out here made it worse.

You won't find the right guitar if you hang onto the wrong one. Some of us will have several guitars at a time, and some will go through them one at a time until there's a sense of balance.  My perspective on this has changed over time.

My wish for you is peace of mind.

ST

NEEDED EDIT: Hmmm? That is dead wrong. I have 3 electrics I have had forever. I tried to explain, but I guess you do NOT understand. I settled, strong word there. Thought I could make it work for all the reasons everyone has mentioned. I am not a child.

If this was what I originally set my mind to, It would be fine and done.The fact that I keep posting is because I am trying to MAKE myself settle.  I will not post again about something so personal. My bad there.

Pathfinder

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2018, 01:52:10 PM »

Hi Pathfinder,

Life's too short to settle for the wrong guitar. Sometimes you have to go through a few to understand what you want, and what you're willing to do to get it. For me, it was a moving target. Hanging out here made it worse.

You won't find the right guitar if you hang onto the wrong one. Some of us will have several guitars at a time, and some will go through them one at a time until there's a sense of balance.  My perspective on this has changed over time.

My wish for you is peace of mind.

ST

Sounds about right to me. Thanks very much
Frank
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: