Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So I want Gloss not Satin- Dilemma indeed  (Read 2532 times)
Pathfinder

Ignore
« on: March 09, 2018, 03:41:34 AM »

So after only 7 days, I have decided what I want is Gloss and I want Rosewood. So I have Satin and mahogany. Why do I do the things I do. Mostly because I just never want to wait....It's like now or never.

As he shakes his head in bewilderment....................
markj

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 04:09:55 AM »

It's an addiction.

A good addiction, yes. But an addiction all the same.  bigrin

1977 Classical
2014 L-03 ( Sold June 23, 2018  crying )
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
Pathfinder

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 04:42:35 AM »

It's an addiction.

A good addiction, yes. But an addiction all the same.  bigrin

Guess I should have elaborated. I can only afford one acoustic right now. So.....................?
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 08:54:14 AM »

Guess I should have elaborated. I can only afford one acoustic right now. So.....................?
I had that same problem, about 13 guitars ago. Lol. Somehow, I found ways to make it happen.
Seriously though, don't fall into the trap of wanting certain features. You will never be fulfilled.

D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
jweave69

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 12:58:39 PM »

So are you happy with the L body, or are you thinking dreadnought again? What don't you like about the satin finish? Why rosewood instead of mahogany? Just curious...   

2017 Larrivee D-40 8>)
2018 Taylor GS Mini Koa
Pathfinder

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 03:56:15 PM »

First, I have been playing for 25, 35, whatever, years at least. Have owned many guitars, Yes , mostly electric but always had an acoustic of some sort. Never really had a "quality" acoustic guitar.
Financially, it was not the time, but at my age, I figured it was time.

So, because I have been disappointed too many times buying guitars online I was determined to play what I bought. So, I did. But I settled for the mahogany and satin because I got to play it and it felt good.

But that never changed the fact that I had my heart set on Gloss and rosewood. IOW, this guitar plays great, etc, etc, etc But it is still is NOT what I really had my heart set on and I let my impulsive nature dictate my actions.

If it were just a matter of , well now get a "whatever guitar" that would be fine. But it isn't. I could\can only afford one.

Hope that explains it a bit better.
Thanks
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 03:59:48 PM »

First, I have been playing for 25, 35, whatever, years at least. Have owned many guitars, Yes , mostly electric but always had an acoustic of some sort. Never really had a "quality" acoustic guitar.
Financially, it was not the time, but at my age, I figured it was time.

So, because I have been disappointed too many times buying guitars online I was determined to play what I bought. So, I did. But I settled for the mahogany and satin because I got to play it and it felt good.

But that never changed the fact that I had my heart set on Gloss and rosewood. IOW, this guitar plays great, etc, etc, etc But it is still is NOT what I really had my heart set on and I let my impulsive nature dictate my actions.

If it were just a matter of , well now get a "whatever guitar" that would be fine. But it isn't. I could\can only afford one.

Hope that explains it a bit better.
Thanks

Is it too late to return this one and order what you want? If you bought it from a local dealer, they will probably work with you, since a gloss rosewood will cost more - and be more money in their cash register ultimately...

All guitars are left-handed:
1979 L-19 (converted to lefty)
1992 OM-05
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2016 L-05 Custom
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 04:02:40 PM »

"IOW, this guitar plays great, etc, etc, etc "    

Pathfinder

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 04:26:41 PM »

Yes and yes and yes. Guitar is fabulous! Kind of like buying a new car and a week later deciding you don't like the color...............Well, not a great analogy, but all I got.

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 04:30:43 PM »

Yes and yes and yes. Guitar is fabulous! Kind of like buying a new car and a week later deciding you don't like the color...............Well, not a great analogy, but all I got.

All I can suggest is to be happy that you have a nice guitar that you like. A bird in the hand and all that. There's no guarantee that the guitar that has the woods and finish you prefer will be a better guitar. But good luck. Nothing much we can do to help with this decision. 
Casey86

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 05:08:54 PM »

You say the guitar is fabulous. You've owned it a week.

Give your new guitar a chance. Play it like a new guitar should be played.  The guitar will decide over time if you are the right owner.
Is there a rush?

I have never had a perfect instrument.

Play it and be happy. Down the road if you are not happy make a change.
You may be very happy and keep it forever.

sub rosa

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2018, 05:23:19 PM »

You know, I went through this a few years ago.

When I first started out with Larrivee's I was all about rosewood back and sides, the overall harmonic content of the sound. I was strict with it that I didn't really try much of anything else.

Then I moved to New Zealand where choices are really restricted, had to sell that guitar and was "acoustic-less" for a couple of years.

One day this L-03SP all sapele guitar popped up on auction. Not what I'd normally gravitate to but I'd never tried an "all-hog" style guitar (I know it's not hog) and I liked the look.

Plus it was satin, no abalone, herringbone rosette - spoke right to my aesthetic tastes.

The lack of options in the market (and expense) forced me to spend more time with the guitar, set it up the way I liked, let it break in and get to know it, because the market there is small and no guarantee of a healthy re-sale.

I still have it 7 years down the road and love it. No intention of ever letting it go.

In the meantime the 12th Fret in Canada was getting in all these new "exotic" 03 series special edition guitars in, silver oak, and this and that and I went through that whole kid-in-a-candy-shop routine. Thankfully shipping costs wrote that off, it'd never work out.

Now I'm in the US, with very easy access to all manner of Larrivee's. Still rockin' my trusty L-03SP and about 10 years since my last rosewood guitar.

All this to say; if you don't dislike what you have it may be worth letting it break-in before moving it on. You never know how your tastes may sit with it in the long run.

2007 Larrivée L-03SP Sapele Top
LR Baggs Session DI - LR Baggs M1A
DaveyO
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2018, 05:40:13 PM »

For what its worth,I used to be the same,I was never satisfied
Then I saw Tommy E and saw that he doesn't care what his
Guitar looks like,its the sound and feel for me now
Not that I don't like gloss,I do,but I like satin larrivees to,larrivee does
Satin right
Good luck
Davey
Pathfinder

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2018, 06:12:06 PM »

Thanks very much for all the kind words. It is appreciated.

I know no one can make a decision for me. Just really posted all this to see what others thoughts were in a situation like this.

You may see it listed For Sale and you may not.................Thanks Again.

EDIT: I should add I am not sure how I would feel if this guitar was Gloss? Because, honestly, the mahogany on this one just looks different than any I have looked at on line or in the For Sale here. It looks better\classier\healthier. Of course, maybe I just haven't seen one and it is common?
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2018, 11:32:34 PM »

Sounds like you're alright to me. If I understand it's more the looks you have doubts about. I'd rather have that situation than a guitar that looked great but sounded and played not so great. Patience IS a virtue, but if you can't take it back, and it's a fabulous guitar, hey.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2018, 12:09:28 AM »

You may want to consider polishing this guitar to a luster.  Lots of them here on this forum...

George
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2018, 02:35:44 AM »

At the end of the proverbial day, the guitar does the job you require of it or it doesn't. Appearance is not a factor or shouldn't be as it is not a function of the instrument. It is a function of vanity.  
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2018, 02:48:01 AM »

At the end of the proverbial day, the guitar does the job you require of it or it doesn't. Appearance is not a factor or shouldn't be as it is not a function of the instrument. It is a function of vanity.  
But, sometimes, "the job" means satisfying more than just the need to produce sound. I understand where he's coming from. I also think he's never going to be happy if he keeps letting himself think he'll be happy with a different guitar.  The next one won't be right for some other reason, and the cycle continues. If he can only have one, he should try enjoying what he has for a while.

D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
Pathfinder

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2018, 03:27:58 AM »

But, sometimes, "the job" means satisfying more than just the need to produce sound. I understand where he's coming from. I also think he's never going to be happy if he keeps letting himself think he'll be happy with a different guitar.  The next one won't be right for some other reason, and the cycle continues. If he can only have one, he should try enjoying what he has for a while.

NEEDED EDIT: Hmmm? That is dead wrong. I have 3 electrics I have had forever. I tried to explain, but I guess you do NOT understand. I settled, strong word there. Thought I could make it work for all the reasons everyone has mentioned. I am not a child.

If this was what I originally set my mind to, It would be fine and done.The fact that I keep posting is because I am trying to MAKE myself settle.  I will not post again about something so personal. My bad there.
sub rosa

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2018, 04:32:26 AM »

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with finding the guitar you want.

If you can’t return the current guitar you may need to cut your losses, sell up and find the one you want. Or if you can make it work, hold on to the current one while you’re searching, you never know, it might grow on you.

There’s a Canadian production L-03R up on Reverb right now, FYI.

2007 Larrivée L-03SP Sapele Top
LR Baggs Session DI - LR Baggs M1A
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: