Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1980 Presentation Series  (Read 1209 times)
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: March 10, 2018, 08:40:18 PM »

Was playing this one last night.

There were half a dozen other guitars in the show last night.  This one sounded huge and dwarfed the others.

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 12:58:44 AM »

drool Very pretty,I see a taylor headstock whats the other on the stand?What show?

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 01:51:36 AM »

With all that bling, it looks more like a Presentation series than a 10, maybe a 19 or 72?  At any rate, quite the exquisite guitar...  I bet it was a joy to play too.

George
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 02:03:50 AM »

With all that bling, it looks more like a Presentation series than a 10, maybe a 19 or 72?  At any rate, quite the exquisite guitar...  I bet it was a joy to play too.
You're right. Changed the subject

Thanks

George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 02:43:35 AM »

So did it play as good as it looks?

George
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 09:00:00 AM »

Hi George,

It's got some battle scars and needs fret work down near the nut. I don't play in that area much, so this wasn't an issue for me. The intonation and action are fine.

The guitar has a long and storied past. I've since found out, it's one of two Presentation models built in Victoria BC, in 1980.

ST

ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 09:05:59 AM »

Hi Rob,

drool Very pretty,I see a taylor headstock whats the other on the stand?What show?

Good eye.  On the left was a 1995 Taylor 914 Cindy. I know this guitar well, and it's a beauty. On the right, a Gibson dread. Didn't catch the model.

It was a house concert/fundraiser.  The venue is incredible. There were about 75 people.

JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 10:32:00 AM »

With all that bling, it looks more like a Presentation series than a 10, maybe a 19 or 72?  At any rate, quite the exquisite guitar...  I bet it was a joy to play too.
nice guitar ST  When I think of Larrivee from my youth its this Bling that screams Larrivee to me. Good call George on the 72. FWIW oddly tho in the Larrivee Model #'s a 19 would have less bling than would a 10. It kinda was always thought of as a 9.5 (just in between a 9 and a 10).

Would have loved to hear ST putting the 72 thru its paces!

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 04:17:03 PM »

Hi George,

It's got some battle scars and needs fret work down near the nut. I don't play in that area much, so this wasn't an issue for me. The intonation and action are fine.

The guitar has a long and storied past. I've since found out, it's one of two Presentation models built in Victoria BC, in 1980.

ST
I saw one in a shop in Lexington Kentucky probably 1982. They kept it under a glass case. I knew they were rare but I didn't know they were that rare! Did it have abalone purfling down the sides at heel and around the back as well? The one I saw in shop way back and in 1980 catalog did. I remember them being BIG $$$ too! Of course they had the top of the top woods as well.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 08:50:49 PM »

I knew they were rare but I didn't know they were that rare! .
Was of the understanding they do about 2 a year.

Here's mine from 2012 - sadly a bit of a Case Queen

ST - anything you can share of its storied past  

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 02:41:43 AM »

Hi Andrew,

It's definitely a Presentation model. I forgot about the connection to the other one. But I've spent quality time with that one too. It has a Florentine cutaway.  It's a road warrior.

nice guitar ST  When I think of Larrivee from my youth its this Bling that screams Larrivee to me.

Me too. With the exception of my old C38 (Classical with Florentine cutaway), I'm completely with you about the decorated models.  I used to have a Presentation model Classical with Florentine cutaway. Wrong time of life to keep it. I still look back with a twinge.

I've never completely gotten used to Venetian cutaways either. When I used to wander through guitar stores, my eyes were drawn to the prettiest guitars, and the Florentine cutaway was likely the first asymmetrical shape that I found attractive.

Good call George on the 72. FWIW oddly tho in the Larrivee Model #'s a 19 would have less bling than would a 10. It kinda was always thought of as a 9.5 (just in between a 9 and a 10).

Would have loved to hear ST putting the 72 thru its paces!

Thanks for the kind thoughts.

ST

ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 02:48:11 AM »

Was of the understanding they do about 2 a year.

Here's mine from 2012 - sadly a bit of a Case Queen
What a beauty! And about the Case Queen comment - That's tragic.
ST - anything you can share of its storied past  

It's been around and so has its twin. Both have been on several iconic Canadian albums. I'll leave it at that.

ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 02:52:17 AM »

Hi Flatlander,

Yes, it's all pretty in the back too. You can catch a hint of that if look really closely at the picture of the front.

I saw one in a shop in Lexington Kentucky probably 1982. They kept it under a glass case. I knew they were rare but I didn't know they were that rare! Did it have abalone purfling down the sides at heel and around the back as well? The one I saw in shop way back and in 1980 catalog did. I remember them being BIG $$$ too! Of course they had the top of the top woods as well.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: