Which Larrivee is close to a J45 Sunburst?

Started by Casey86, March 07, 2018, 12:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Been listening to some old delta blues recordings and digging the Gibson J45 sound, style and look.

The J45 is very collectable these days and priced accordingly. The J45 got it's name from the $45 price heh heh.
The first ones had laminate top and no truss rod. Some say avoid them from the '60s on. Modern makers like John Greven  can build an expensive copy. Not sure of the dimensions, can't find much info.

Which slope shoulder, short scale Larrivee in Sunburst is close to the J45?

:smile:

None. But, there's a ton of j45s out there so have at it.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

How about this one? OOO-50 TSB. Not that similar to a Gibson J but sunburst and well ... it will bury the Gibson alive in the blues.  :beer

I did see a SD short scale recently, but can't seem to find it now.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

I don't know of a Larrivee tha meets all your requirements for matching a J-45.   But I can tell you that I used want a J-45 until I ordered this L-05.   Similarities:   Spruce over mahogany, 14 fret, sunburst. good solid, chunky tone when you want it but real nice high end as well.  The L body not necessarily known as a "blues box" but still I can't help but wonder what some of those old blues legends would have sounded like if they were using something like a L-05.    Or Duck's 000-50.  

https://pix.sfly.com/ckdBMk

Quote from: tuffythepug on March 07, 2018, 06:53:20 PM
I don't know of a Larrivee tha meets all your requirements for matching a J-45.   But I can tell you that I used want a J-45 until I ordered this L-05.   Similarities:   Spruce over mahogany, 14 fret, sunburst. good solid, chunky tone when you want it but real nice high end as well.  The L body not necessarily known as a "blues box" but still I can't help but wonder what some of those old blues legends would have sounded like if they were using something like a L-05.    Or Duck's 000-50. 

https://photos.shutterfly.com/full/23753108398

They'da sounded so darn good they might not have had the blues. At least, for a while.  :winkin:

If you could get Larrivee to build you a short scale L-05, you'd probably be about 85% of the way there. Make sure it has a rosewood fingerboard and bridge, and have Larrivee use their 40 series bracing - boom - J-45 killer! (Oh - and a tobacco burst top like Tuffy's...that thing is gorgeous!)

(I have a J-45 that I really love - and an L-05 I really love - but they do sound different - otherwise one of 'em would be unnecessary!)
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Thanks guys. Those sunbursts look beautiful. Great comments too.

I found dimensions for a 1957 J45 and  some of the Larrivee's are close, except for scale length. 000 & L series are not that far off dimension wise, there may be others. Of course a Larrivee will sound different than a Gibson.

Maybe Larrivee has spoiled me. The build quality is awesome, they sound great and are priced right. The old Gibson's have that finish checking thing going on, may need maintenance like a neck reset and are priced high. I have owned old Gibsons.

I'm going to keep an open mind. Perhaps any Larrivee in sunburst or tobacco burst that is kinda close to a J45 in size will be my 'J45'  :smile:

If you go with the L05 try flatwound nickle/silver strings.I have a client that his 65 J45 is setup with flatwound.Kinda cool tone very thick.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Why would you want to get something that's not going to sound like a j45 (because they are braced and voiced differently) when you can get the real deal without it costing all that much more? I guess I just don't understand the point. Same reason I wouldn't try to buy a Gibson that was closest to an L09, if I wanted an L09.

The only time it would make sense to me is if we were talking about a huge price difference, or if you wanted something better, like the Collings version.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: B0WIE on March 07, 2018, 01:34:15 PM
None. But, there's a ton of j45s out there so have at it.

Yeah, this.

Actually, I have played Blueridge BG-140 examples that sound more like a vintage J-45 than many modern J-45's.

Ed

Quote from: B0WIE on March 07, 2018, 10:27:02 PM
Why would you want to get something that's not going to sound like a j45 (because they are braced and voiced differently) when you can get the real deal without it costing all that much more? I guess I just don't understand the point. Same reason I wouldn't try to buy a Gibson that was closest to an L09, if I wanted an L09.

The only time it would make sense to me is if we were talking about a huge price difference, or if you wanted something better, like the Collings version.

Like I said, my mind is open. There are 3 used J45's for sale in my neighbourhood, and this is without really searching. No Larrivee sunbursts around. My local shop Rufus carries Collings, the CJ35 looks beautiful. I've bought 7 instruments for myself and 2 as gifts for others in the last 1.5 years so not in a rush. Just looking, talking and thinking out loud about it. Can always check out the Blueridge, or Simon & Patrick woodland pro sunburst & others.