Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You've come a long way baby!  (Read 449 times)
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: March 21, 2018, 02:30:05 PM »

I live in a VERY small town.
 no building over 2 stores tall, and three sets of traffic lights.
I was pleasantly surprised to find  2004 50th Anniversary American deluxe Stratocaster with all the case candy, and virtually unplayed right near me.

Guy bought it new, from a store I know in another town, I even know the salesman he bought it from.
he never played it, it's the fancy deluxe model with the custom monogrammed 50th tweed case, as well as the SCM pick ups and S1 switching.
It was embarrassingly cheap for such an item (yes I researched before I bought).

I have mentioned before, I left the Strat world over 30 years ago when I sold my 1957 to a friend in Nova Scotia for $1,500.
it had a thee way switch (before the 5 way switches came out), so we used a modified Herco pick to stop the switch between stops to get the out of phase sound. Also, as I recall on that guitar, the two tone controls were dedicated to the middle pick up and the neck pick up. The bridge pup was full on bridge twang!

This "new" (I'm over 65 now) system-introduced in 2004 has the S1 switch, as well as lovely responsive and noiseless pick-ups.
The S1 Switch is standard 5 way switching .
Push the button, and VOILA 5 MORE switching options!
series switching variations of parallel variations.
The bridge pick up has a tone control while the middle and neck pick ups "share" the other tone control.

suffice to say I'm very impressed at the tone pallet.
 was initially just going to flip the guitar to pay for some dental work.
 after playing with the switching on it, and the very dynamic range of the Lawrence designed SCM pick-ups, I might keep it a bit longer than i thought.
 at least until I have to go visit the dentist again....

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 04:14:51 PM »

Those can be very versatile guitars, and I've always liked any pickup designed by Bill Lawrence (I have a set of his noiseless S-280's in the Warmoth Strat right behind my desk here).

Sounds like you found a "gem" [no pun intended].

All guitars are left-handed:
1979 L-19  |  1992 OM-05  |  2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue  |  2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak  |  2016 L-05 Custom
tulk1

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 04:48:41 PM »

Nice find!!  I liked the 50th Anniversary Fenders. They did a great job on them. Did you get a burst? Or one of the special colors?

Interesting to see you mention the 3-way mid positions on the older Strats. My brother was over the other day with his '73 Strat. We got to talking about how it was a real skill back in the day to be able to hit those tween spots. Took a real talent and lots of practice. He never did the pick thing, just found it by feel. I much prefer the 5 way switch!

Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 07:14:00 PM »

Here's a couple pics.

I'm feeling altogether too weird about this Fender extravagance after selling my prize gigging machine so many years ago.

The Book came with it, the guy that sold it to me said it came with the guitar (same model on the cover of the book).
All the tags, case candy, (monogrammed case) strap locks, keys etc.
and dead mint.

The 57 I had was a two tone tobacco sunburst, hardtail. with tweed case.

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 05:54:06 AM »

The Stratocaster Chronicles is a great book. (RIP Tom Wheeler; there was a memorial write up about him in the most recent Vintage Guitar Magazine. He wasn't that old - 72 maybe?)

All guitars are left-handed:
1979 L-19  |  1992 OM-05  |  2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue  |  2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak  |  2016 L-05 Custom
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: