Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: String gauges?  (Read 546 times)
Pathfinder

Ignore
« on: March 03, 2018, 10:33:25 PM »

So, I was checking out the tech forum and 2 things I found, well, confusing at best.

1. Tried researching the santa cruz strings (lo or med tension) strings mentioned in one thread. On the web, I could not find the gauges of these strings. Thsi includes the SC site. Now I am sure they are somewhere, but should it really be that difficult to find?

2. Several posts talking about how the gauge of  a sting, like say the 12 Hi E changed to 11 or 11.5 does not work well or at all with the nut? I have lowered the gauge on almost every guitar I own. I now have arthritis pretty bad and was looking around.
So is this true? I can see going UP in size being a problem, but to go down from 12 to 11.5 or 11? From 16 to 15. Wow. Never heard of this.

Yes, as stated in my other posts, my acoustic guitar knowledge is not even close to most here. Electric guitars, now those i now very well. 40+ years.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Granted my 28 year old takamine is no Larrivee but going down from 12 to 11 was simple and no adverse FX at all. Thanks for any info.
EDIT: Should have added. I know I will probably have to adjust the truss a bit. Also, I am only talking about custom lights, like Joe B uses. 52-42-32-22-15-11, Not because he does, but because of the arthritis..........
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 10:36:25 PM »

If the string is too small in the nut, it may rattle and buzz. Typically unlikely with 11's but possible depending how the nut is cut.

D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
Pathfinder

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 10:58:42 PM »

If the string is too small in the nut, it may rattle and buzz. Typically unlikely with 11's but possible depending how the nut is cut.

OK That makes sense. Thanks. So it is worth a try for me. Appreciate it.
For clarity: I am an old guy, been playing forever, mainly electric. Arthritis has hit my hands . So I still wanted and NOW HAVE a nice quality acoustic///my new L-03E. I do have access to a very good guitar guy here in florida if needed.
The sound is important to me of course, but the plugged in sound is much more important at this stage of my life.

Good that I can try the Custom lights at least. I may try the low tension also. Thanks Again
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 11:41:54 PM »

OK That makes sense. Thanks. So it is worth a try for me. Appreciate it.
For clarity: I am an old guy, been playing forever, mainly electric. Arthritis has hit my hands . So I still wanted and NOW HAVE a nice quality acoustic///my new L-03E. I do have access to a very good guitar guy here in florida if needed.
The sound is important to me of course, but the plugged in sound is much more important at this stage of my life.

Good that I can try the Custom lights at least. I may try the low tension also. Thanks Again

I have arthritis now as well, and it is a constant struggle to play without my finger joints hurting.  A good soak in some hot Epsom salt water provides temporary relief for me.  A hand and finger exerciser is a good therapy tool as well and will strengthen your hands and fingers.  I had to be careful not to "crush" the strings too hard there for a while.

I too played custom lights for a very long time, but it was not really due to arthritis, it was due to a left wrist fracture that took years to heal and regain enough strength to play.  I played .011-.050 and then slowly increased to .0115-.052.  I am now back at ordinary lights (.012-.054) and not having any issues so far.  I retired about a year ago so now I play every day and that helps a lot!

Never give up, practice makes perfect... (or better anyway)

George
Pathfinder

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 11:53:02 PM »

Yes I am retired also. Had the arthritis for a while. I am going to try the custom light 11-52 like stated first. I also have some DR Rares which are lo tension 11-50. I'll see how it goes.
I never ever will stop playing. But as stated, I play mostly electric so my hands have gotten weaker.
Last night I put elixir 12-52's on. I wil leave them for a while and see if my hands get used to them. I doubt it, but I am not worried. This guitar is great and I have no doubt that, for me and my needs, if I go a little lighter it will still sound great for me.......

Thanks
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 02:22:27 AM »

Also and old guy in body parts only my mind though thinks I'm 21.I to have rather bad arthritis thru out the body but for my hands I use a hot wax machine a couple time's a day more often when its gig day.Unlike most I continue to abuse myself with 14-58's but my action is really low and I have a lite touch and I have pu's in my Larrivee's for the gigs.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Pathfinder

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 02:45:12 AM »

Jeezz 14's I would need help making a chord. Have a nice night and thanks for the advice..........Frank
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 05:23:33 PM »

Most people say that to me which is a good thing,nobody wants to barrow my guitars.Yes there heavy but thw acoustic tone is wonderful.Plus as I said really very low action.Just to scare people I use 12-56's on my electrics with a wound G string.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 06:23:44 PM »

Most people say that to me which is a good thing,nobody wants to barrow my guitars.Yes there heavy but thw acoustic tone is wonderful.Plus as I said really very low action.Just to scare people I use 12-56's on my electrics with a wound G string.

I have a set of NYXL's in that gauge on one of my electrics as well, and Always a wound 3rd G string.  I just cannot ever make a plain third G string sound right.  I even have some .018 GHS wound third in rollerwound...   

George
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: