80/20 bronze strings

Started by Parlor Picker, March 01, 2018, 07:25:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I recently put a set of Martin SP 80/20 bronze light gauge strings on my Larrivée Rosewood Parlor guitar, having previously always used phosphor bronze. I thought I'd try a change and, whilst I may be deluding myself, I'm sure it gives the guitar are richer, more rounded tone. Maybe it's just that the strings are new, but I'm convinced it sounds better.

Any experience of such a thing amongst other Larrivée players?
Larrivée Limited Edition Rosewood Parlor (2003)
plus various other acoustic guitars and one ukulele

yep- I like 80/20 better than phosphor.
I play the  cheap Ernie Ball Earthwood 80/20's.
They turn black pretty quick but sound nice,
and I don't mind changing them often.
Been switching back and forth with the Elixirs
on guitars I don't play as much. 
Elixirs stay gold a long time.  And dont' squeek. 
:)

I tried the Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze and was impressed.  Listen to me now and believe me later, they're that good!

Martin 80/20 bronze is what we have on both Larrivee's (lv-03 d-04) and they sound and feel great. I do not have anything to compare them to as both guitars are new to us. Bonus that Martin strings are not expensive.

I plan to experiment with strings just to discover the differences.

I'm personally more a fan of Phosphor Bronze strings over 80/20 Bronze. BUT, on my Gibson J-45 (which came with 80/20 Bronze on it) I have to admit, the 80/20's so far bring out the best in THAT guitar. It came with lights on it, but I prefer mediums (even more so because of the shorter scale length).
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Thanks for all the comments.

At the end of the day, I've always believed that different strings suit different guitars and most definitely different strings suit different players (based on personal preference, degree of aggressiveness of sweat, etc.). I like the sound of clearly ringing new strings, but several friends just don't like new strings, preferring a slightly more damped sound.

As I say, each to his own.

However, this experiment with 80/20 strings where I previously used exclusively phosphor bronze has made me think I might carry on the experiment on other guitars. It's just a question of being brave enough.

Quote from: Parlor Picker on March 02, 2018, 06:06:35 AM

However, this experiment with 80/20 strings where I previously used exclusively phosphor bronze has made me think I might carry on the experiment on other guitars. It's just a question of being brave enough.

Hey, it's a cheap experiment - for $5-6 a set you can experiment. Also, try lots of different picks - thicknesses, shapes, materials. I've found picks have more impact on the tone/timber of a guitar than the strings...
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on March 02, 2018, 10:25:47 AM
Also, try lots of different picks - thicknesses, shapes, materials. I've found picks have more impact on the tone/timber of a guitar than the strings...

So True Rev!   :+1:
George

Quote from: Mikeymac on March 02, 2018, 10:25:47 AM
Hey, it's a cheap experiment - for $5-6 a set you can experiment. Also, try lots of different picks - thicknesses, shapes, materials. I've found picks have more impact on the tone/timber of a guitar than the strings...

Actually, both of your (sensible) comments are irrelevant to me - 1) I'm in the UK and strings cost the equivalent of about $12 to 13 and 2) I never use picks of any description, being fortunate enough to have nails that rarely break, so I use them for fingerpicking and for strumming (gripping index finger between thumb and second finger!). Some will think that weird, but it has suited me for years.

Although playing electric and using flesh rather than nails, Jeff Beck is not a fan of picks: https://www.guitarplayer.com/miscellaneous/under-investigation-jeff-beck

Quote from: gtrplayer on March 01, 2018, 10:07:59 AM
I tried the Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze and was impressed.  Listen to me now and believe me later, they're that good!

I pound the table for the Al Bronze every chance I get. They did wonders to brighten up my hog top guitars. The Phos bronze stay on the spruce top, though. . .
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist