Newbie here: New to Larrivee, Body wood help please

Started by Pathfinder, February 28, 2018, 08:19:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I am very happy with the guitar...............

So the folks who play guitars in stored usually don't have clean hands. So I need to clean the ebony fretboard. I was just think toothbrush with a tiny bit of water? alcohol?

EDIT: Got some advice from Larrivee for this--How nice!

Thanks

looked for a setting so I could stay logged in but cannot find one. Kind of a pain when you are in a conversation like this? Checked all thru my profile etc?

Quote from: Pathfinder on March 02, 2018, 04:15:25 PM

So the folks who play guitars in stored usually don't have clean hands. So I need to clean the ebony fretboard. I was just think toothbrush with a tiny bit of water? alcohol?

Thanks

DO NOT USE alcohol. Get some extra fine steel wool and clean it using that.   :cheers

Quote from: Pathfinder on March 02, 2018, 02:33:39 PM
Larrivee said the date is the START of manuafacture process. Could take anywhere from 3-6 months in the process.So yours is cool. But mine is over 2 years old. so where was it for a year and a half? Only the local daler would know I guess. He said he only had it for a few months. So now I am concerned about the care, etc. Checl the pict I uploaded. The back has that vertical "no color" thing going on and accross the bottom note the horizontal lines?

Hmmm? Anyone no what that is?
thanks
Ok thank you! I was not aware. And that figuring on the back is beautiful! :drool:

2017 Larrivee D-40 8>)
2018 Taylor GS Mini Koa

Quote from: Pathfinder on March 01, 2018, 01:55:14 PM
Well, I listened, I read, I researched.
I did buy a guitar from the mom & pop store where I live. IMHO I got a very good deal. But biggest deal is I GOT TO PLAY it for hours. I have bought many guitars in my day and been disappointed too many times with online purchases. In fact, the one good, or great experience was my 2006 American Deluxe Strat-yellow\blonde, special run. It is a dream.

I bought the L-03E mahogany. Plays like a dream even with old strings and sounds killer. I love it. Like I said I am an old guy, playing guitar since the 70's seriously. Bought and sold many guitars.

I am very happy with the Larrivee of my choice. The Anthem pup sounds fabulous also. Cannot wait to change the strings. I can see the rust on the e,B & G strings.

Thanks for all your kind words and here's to my first ever Acoustic Guitar Forum...........
Frank (aka Pathfinder) I was a pathfinder in Viet Nam, so that will give you an idea of how old I actually am. Old..  :-)

Why did a mom and pop have a guitar with rusty strings?  Why did you not ask them to put new ones on for you to play?

Quote from: Pathfinder on March 02, 2018, 04:15:25 PM

Thanks
Lightly dampened terry cloth (the more texture the better) is all you need.  Once a year, maybe use some fret board oil if you like.  No offense to anyone's preference, but I don't use steel wool on the wood unless it's an extreme case.  It can create a messy ebony dust that I don't like on the guitar.  Esp when it gets on your fingers and you touch the guitar, leaving ebony prints.  A rag is better as it soaks up the yuck.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: B0WIE on March 02, 2018, 07:37:52 PM
Lightly dampened terry cloth (the more texture the better) is all you need.  Once a year, maybe use some fret board oil if you like.  No offense to anyone's preference, but I don't use steel wool on the wood unless it's an extreme case.  It can create a messy ebony dust that I don't like on the guitar.  Esp when it gets on your fingers and you touch the guitar, leaving ebony prints.  A rag is better as it soaks up the yuck.

Ebony Dust would be a good name for a rock'n'roll band. Using a damp cloth after the steel wool should take care of that. A little nose oil should take care of everything else.   :beer

Quote from: Walkerman on March 02, 2018, 07:37:00 PM
Why did a mom and pop have a guitar with rusty strings?  Why did you not ask them to put new ones on for you to play?
Guitar was hung up behind the counter and was handed to those who wanted to play it. how long I have no idea. I didn't stress on the strings in the store because the guitar played great and sounded "better". so, I just asked for a new set for free.
H

Quote from: ducktrapper on March 02, 2018, 08:44:20 PM
A little nose oil should take care of everything else.   :beer
:roll  True!
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

You may find this Taylor factory video to be informative on cleaning and stringing your new guitar. Nice to see how a pro does it. I won't wax my instruments though.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=plU27QJBKn8

Quote from: B0WIE on March 02, 2018, 07:37:52 PM

Wait...what?  Ebony dust?  What sort of steel wool are you using and how hard are you rubbing?!
2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1935 A-OO Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin

Quote from: Paraclete on March 03, 2018, 11:04:18 PM
Wait...what?  Ebony dust?  What sort of steel wool are you using and how hard are you rubbing?!
You know the boards are ebony, right?  If you're rubbing hard enough to get grime up, you will get a bit of the dark ebony "soot" comes up. This gets all over the place. I might notice it more than other since I am a neat freak when it comes to instruments and keep mine immaculate.  A terry cotton rag is so much better, IMO.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: Pathfinder on March 02, 2018, 04:18:02 PM
looked for a setting so I could stay logged in but cannot find one. Kind of a pain when you are in a conversation like this? Checked all thru my profile etc?

Don't know if you got help with this or not?  To stay logged in, do not login to the boxes at the top right of the page, always login in the boxes on the left side of the page and check the box that says keep you logged in.  That is the only way it will work.  I never have to log in unless the pc crashes or I lose all my internet history...
George

Quote from: George on March 04, 2018, 08:49:17 PM
Don't know if you got help with this or not?  To stay logged in, do not login to the boxes at the top right of the page, always login in the boxes on the left side of the page and check the box that says keep you logged in.  That is the only way it will work.  I never have to log in unless the pc crashes or I lose all my internet history...

Thanks George, didn't know that................

Quote from: Paraclete on March 03, 2018, 11:04:18 PM
Wait...what?  Ebony dust?  What sort of steel wool are you using and how hard are you rubbing?!

I was assuming the fingerboard, in question, was quite dirty. Some people exude some pretty strong stuff from their hands and extra fine steel wool is the best way to remove it. I have never heard of anyone else with a huge concern for ebony dust. You're going to produce about a millionth of a gram of the stuff. There's probably more dust or debris from the steel wool. Heck, have someone hold the vacuum over the job as you're doing it. Personally, lightly going over the fingerboards once in a blue moon keeps the frets shiny and the finger boards clean. Nose grease keeps them oiled. I humidify the house and would never put anything on my wood(s) other than wiping with a damp cloth. Then again I don't sweat much and, other than (regular) dust, my guitars stay very clean. NOW .... ROSEWOOD DUST!!!! YMMV.     :cheers