Name that Wood

Started by tulk1, February 28, 2018, 07:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Can you name the wood from these small samplings?
Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."

Impossible to say based on the pics but just for fun, I'll guess.  Bottom looks like Sitka, just based on silking and close grain.  Top could be any number of spruces, but the color is usually what I see in aged Sitka.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

To me it looks like cedar or torrefied sitka.
George

Quote from: George on February 28, 2018, 08:37:35 PM
To me it looks like cedar or torrefied sitka.
Yea, could be.  It's so zoomed in that there's no point of reference as to how dark the wood actually is.  And, the flash or light source (whatever it is) doesn't really help.  Could definitely be something as dark as cedar.

Quote from: B0WIE on February 28, 2018, 08:50:28 PM
Yea, could be.  It's so zoomed in that there's no point of reference as to how dark the wood actually is.  And, the flash or light source (whatever it is) doesn't really help.  Could definitely be something as dark as cedar.
Good point. Altho' to my color blind eyes, the colors in the photos are pretty close. Maybe tomorrow I could do some natural light pics to supplement. I'm not the best in identifying acoustic woods. And one of them is possibly not what I was told it was when I purchased it. Just thought I'd make a short game of it, see what other eyes might see.
Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."

They both look like spruce to me.

Ed

A bit cold for outdoor (natural light) pics this morning. Maybe this afternoon.

Both were sold to me as Cedar tops. One is my LV03, the other is my Morgan. A quick check with M-Guitars says it's Sitka, not Cedar. Not complaining, and it really doesn't matter, as I love both guitars. Was just wanting to see what others might think. Sitting next to each other they look pretty darned close to the same woods.

What kind of pics should I post to give all a better view? Larger from further away? Larger pics of what I've already posted?
Kenny

Quote from: tulk1 on March 01, 2018, 08:28:48 AM
A bit cold for outdoor (natural light) pics this morning. Maybe this afternoon.

Both were sold to me as Cedar tops. One is my LV03, the other is my Morgan. A quick check with M-Guitars says it's Sitka, not Cedar. Not complaining, and it really doesn't matter, as I love both guitars. Was just wanting to see what others might think. Sitting next to each other they look pretty darned close to the same woods.

What kind of pics should I post to give all a better view? Larger from further away? Larger pics of what I've already posted?

Which pic is supposed to be the Morgan?  I have a cedar topped Morgan that looks just like the top one...
George

Quote from: George on March 01, 2018, 09:36:12 AM
Which pic is supposed to be the Morgan?  I have a cedar topped Morgan that looks just like the top one...
Top is Morgan.
Kenny

Top one *could* be cedar, but I suspect they're both spruce. Cedar doesn't usually exhibit the kind of cross silking or cross grain I see in those samples.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Some outdoor natural light pics.

Larrivee LV-03RE Cedar Top, according to dealer. And, I have no reason to doubt that at all. Just sayin', in case that comes up. Have never doubted.

This is the Morgan C I recently picked up. The original owner told me it was a custom order with a Cedar Top. David at Morgan Guitars says his records indicate it's Sitka. His comment was, "I suspect it has been out of the case lots and the top has a nice golden color". To my color blind eyes the 2 are very very close. But, I don't know wood grains from cereal grains (like corn). That is the driver behind the post.

Kenny

Sure looks like cedar to me Kenny...
George

Seeing them in that perspective, absolutely cedar.  And, they look beautiful.