D40 over D series?

Started by hawkman71, February 25, 2018, 08:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi all,

In my search for my first Larrivee.

In layman's terms, what are the key differences/adv/disadvantages to a D40 vs a D-series guitar?

I tend to be ignoring them for the sake of D-03,4,5,9s, etc...

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had a D-03R for 12years, was guitar-less for about a year, and now just recently got a D-40. Without playing them one right after another, it's hard for me to say what the big differences are in sound. I do believe the D-40 is a little bassier than the D-03, and possibly a little louder as well...this thing projects! The differences in appointments are documented very well on the Larrivee website, especially if you use the comparison tool. I love the look and feel of the D-40; and the sound is amazing of course! Every Larrivee I have ever played is so amazingly consistent and just a beautiful looking and sounding instrument! I do miss the rounded headstock of the D-03, but honestly that's pretty much it. You really can't go wrong either way!  :smile:
2017 Larrivee D-40 8>)
2018 Taylor GS Mini Koa

I have models of both series, and I would say do not hesitate to get a D-40, especially one with a European Spruce top, they are excellent guitars...
George

I appreciate the comments. It's one thing for me to read about the specs than to hear from experienced players and Larrivee enthusiasts about what the differences actually mean.

I'm looking all over the board for a new guitar but pretty much set on a dreadnought, although I'm open to similar body-sized models as well.

Because I'm looking for a used model, based on cost-savings, I'm looking at anything from 20+ year old Larrivees on up to new. So, the specs of today's model aren't necessarily the same as old? I  hear about "scalloped x-bracing" but then see a '96 model D-09 and wonder if it will sound as good as a new model D-40 that I just played in a store.

Check out a 12 fret OM40.  Roars like a D but is much more comfortable to play.

D-40 over a D? That depends what you are looking for.

Played my first Larrivee D-40 rosewood today. I'm a huge fan! Was able to side by side it with a number of Larrivee's and others including an elegant Santa Cruz and some Martin's.

If you dig bass & punchy low end and body shape of a dreadnought you will love the D-40. The most dreadnought sounding guitar I know is my wife's D-04 Peruvian Walnut and I think this rosewood one may beat it.

Not everybody wants a big low end. My LV-03 is light but good on the low end and perhaps has a better sustain with the high notes than the D-40. All a matter of personal taste and what floats your boat.

The D-40 with rosewood certainly looked gorgeous. I would love to have this guitar.

Edit:
Bought one a week later.

Never played a D-40 but I did own a OOO-40 and I can tell you that the -40 series is FANTASTIC. To be honest they are quite a departure from the "standard" Larrivee models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I like the dreads Larrivee has been doing for decades. The bass isn't overpowering or muddy like dreads can often be. Top end is sparkling and sweet. Really underappreciated guitars. I regretted selling mine a few years back so I just bought another. Now I have one with 6 strings and one with 12.All my other guitars are high end like Collings and Froggy but I still love those Lathoserrivee dreads.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

I have a D40-R (w/1 3/4 nut) I found it to be just as advertised. The regular D's didn't suit me because I was wanting a Dread for when I played Bluegrass and country primarily. So I wanted more bass. I found it to be a great mix of being bassy but not overwhelming and still a measure of the Larrivee balance and clear note up the neck. Pretty much just what Larrivee describes the hybrid bracing to be.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Hey everyone, thanks for the comments and advice.

The first and only Larrivees I have played have been at the same guitar store. I think there was a D-04M, a D-03R, a D-0? Swamp Ash, a D-40M, and an OM-03M.  ALL of them were great and I guess I just have to go play them again and see.  Looking at some L-series guitars as well now.

Since you are looking at the L series now, I saw an L40 online at Notable Guitars, and Jason is a very reputable dealer...  in case you cannot find what you want locally.
George