What strings are you using on your Larrivee(s) and why?

Started by sub rosa, February 23, 2018, 05:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D'Addario EXP 16s on my D2. I'll try experimenting in a few months but for now they're my happy place.

I posted awhile back that I was trying GHS signature bronze .12s on my LSV-11.  They were really brassy at first, more aggressive, and maybe lasted a little longer than regular strings.  They are cryo treated.   But they cost quite a bit more than the EJ16s, and the sound wasn't really that much better.  So I'm back to EJ16s.  Have to be a little careful about how much I spend on strings.  My violin strings are $50-$75/set depending on market price out of Austria and sales. 
2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1935 A-OO Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin

I'm using Martin Retro light gauge strings on my OM-40. I have a hard time putting string sounds into words, but "bright" and "clean sounding" come to my mind. They sound much better than the factory strings did, but who knows how long they were on the guitar.
Thank you. Tom

For years and years, I used only John Pearse (mostly PB, but sometimes 80/20). Lately, I've been having problems with them being corroded...  a problem with my storage, though the fact they don't come in sealed packages doesn't help.  I'll be switching to D'Addario from now on.

Ed

Quote from: eded on July 11, 2018, 09:22:36 AM
For years and years, I used only John Pearse (mostly PB, but sometimes 80/20). Lately, I've been having problems with them being corroded...  a problem with my storage, though the fact they don't come in sealed packages doesn't help.  I'll be switching to D'Addario from now until n.

Ed
I've never been too obsessive/compulsive about my guitar strings, but if you're getting corrosion in a paper packet then you might be interested to know that Cenveo Corp, the company that makes the anti-corrosion paper packets is being sued by DR, Dean Markley and GHS. The suit claims that not only did these packets not prevent corrosion; they actually promoted it.
I don't know what other string mfrs were using Cenveo paper packets, but possibly John Pearse.

Looks like their troubles have compounded.

Cenveo Chapter 11 Saga Unfolds with Accusations, Ruling, Plant Closures

Quote from: Queequeg on July 11, 2018, 09:49:46 AM
I've never been too obsessive/compulsive about my guitar strings, but if you're getting corrosion in a paper packet then you might be interested to know that Cenveo Corp, the company that makes the anti-corrosion paper packets is being sued by DR, Dean Markley and GHS. The suit claims that not only did these packets not prevent corrosion; they actually promoted it.
I don't know what other string mfrs were using Cenveo paper packets, but possibly John Pearse.

Looks like their troubles have compounded.

Cenveo Chapter 11 Saga Unfolds with Accusations, Ruling, Plant Closures

Interesting.  Thanks.

Ed

Quote from: Silence Dogood on June 30, 2018, 10:50:10 AM
I use the cheap (green packaging) Martin 80/20s.  They give me a great, dry tone on my D-03.   And they last a good while.

Like I said. Six new ones. If these threads last long enough, every string under the sun will be mentioned. I'm not sure how much help that is to anyone.   :laughin:  

Quote from: ducktrapper on July 11, 2018, 09:34:13 PM
Like I said. Six new ones. If these threads last long enough, every string under the sun will be mentioned. I'm not sure how much help that is to anyone.   :laughin:  
Bears a certain resemblance to the best bridge pins and tonewood threads.
I was listening to a well-known, very famous, virtuoso player about 6 months ago when I stood straight up and shouted,  mon Dieu; sacre bleu- those GHS strings sound fantastic!

Quote from: Queequeg on July 12, 2018, 06:37:50 AM
Bears a certain resemblance to the best bridge pins and tonewood threads.
I was listening to a well-known, very famous, virtuoso player about 6 months ago when I stood straight up and shouted,  mon Dieu; sacre bleu- those GHS strings sound fantastic!

That's when he put his guitar down and said, "Eh bien monsieur, how fantastic does she sound now?"   :roll

When it comes to strings, picks, tonewoods, body shape, I'm torn between,

none of that matters, in the hands of a master

everything matters, to someone

See:
https://youtu.be/-xssnp7R51A

then

https://youtu.be/lxDQQDF6j0Y

Quote from: ST on July 12, 2018, 02:46:51 PM
When it comes to strings, picks, tonewoods, body shape, I'm torn between,

none of that matters, in the hands of a master

everything matters, to someone

See:
https://youtu.be/-xssnp7R51A

then

https://youtu.be/lxDQQDF6j0Y

Some of the things that you decide matter ... only matter to you ... others simply matter. Give me the wisdom to tell the difference!  :beer   

Quote from: ducktrapper on July 12, 2018, 06:16:28 PM
Some of the things that you decide matter ... only matter to you ... others simply matter. Give me the wisdom to tell the difference!  :beer   

Well said Thomas!   :thumb
George

I recently tried some higher priced strings and decided I liked them enough to put a set on my D-10 Braz.  It is a set of Santa Cruz Parabolic Low Tension strings, which are the equivalent of a .012-.056 set with a unique coating process.  $18 a set is not the most expensive strings I have ever purchased, but as was mentioned before, it matters to someone and in this case I am very happy with the decision...
George

Quote from: George on July 12, 2018, 06:43:55 PM

Well said Thomas!   :thumb

Thanks. I'm a writer of zero distinction and I try not to sweat the small stuff. That's what my wife is for.  :laughin:

Quote from: ducktrapper on July 12, 2018, 08:04:16 AM
That's when he put his guitar down and said, "Eh bien monsieur, how fantastic does she sound now?"   :roll
Old Chet Adkins line. Yea. I get bulk strings by the dozens. The don't even tell you what brand. But they come out to 3 bucks and change a set and I can get whatever gauges I want. I don't think there's any standard set, that I know of, that has gauges I like. Let alone stringing up reso's and open turning. So that's what I care about and no I can't make them sound like Chet but I do thing a bulk of the tone comes from fingers.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Quote from: flatlander on July 12, 2018, 09:18:46 PM
Old Chet Adkins line. Yea. I get bulk strings by the dozens. The don't even tell you what brand. But they come out to 3 bucks and change a set and I can get whatever gauges I want. I don't think there's any standard set, that I know of, that has gauges I like. Let alone stringing up reso's and open turning. So that's what I care about and no I can't make them sound like Chet but I do think a bulk of the tone comes from fingers.
:donut :donut2
(Now we're getting somewhere.)
I   do    think   a    bulk    of    the    tone    comes    from   fingers..

:wave

Quote from: AZLiberty on June 27, 2018, 10:11:45 PM

On my wife's guitar, whatever I have laying around that I bought by accident or decide I hate. 
(she's just happy when someone changes the strings for her)
Now that's funny.
:bgrin:

Quote from: flatlander on July 12, 2018, 09:18:46 PM
Old Chet Adkins line. Yea. I get bulk strings by the dozens. The don't even tell you what brand. But they come out to 3 bucks and change a set and I can get whatever gauges I want. I don't think there's any standard set, that I know of, that has gauges I like. Let alone stringing up reso's and open turning. So that's what I care about and no I can't make them sound like Chet but I do thing a bulk of the tone comes from fingers.

I guess that's what I was getting at. Guitar players a lot better than me get much better results on guitars a lot cheaper than mine with strings last changed around the turn of the century.  :blush:

Speaking of changing strings, here's an entertaining video I got today from StewMac (Stewart-MacDonald):

Dan Erlewine & Jorma Kaukonen

:smile:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on July 12, 2018, 10:25:59 PM
Speaking of changing strings, here's an entertaining video I got today from StewMac (Stewart-MacDonald):

Dan Erlewine & Jorma Kaukonen

:smile:

Thanks for sharing that. I love to see someone do it the same way as me. No knots, just wind them!  :nanadance

By the way, what came first the Martin M or the Larrivee L?