Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What strings are you using on your Larrivee(s) and why?  (Read 1953 times)
sub rosa

Ignore
« on: February 23, 2018, 11:29:15 PM »

I've used a number of different strings over the years, for a long while GHS Vintage Bronze. Before that I used Martin 80/20s for a long time, which were brighter but didn't last so long. The "shine" of the new string sound disappeared a little too quick for my liking.

Last few years I'm back to Rotosound Jumbo Kings (or the Super Bronze version - contact core).

They have a nice, warm sound and the life of the strings is quite nice, they don't tend to go dull.

The contact core version is interesting, hard to describe but the sound opens up a little.

What are you guys using and why? After all, no strings, no sound!

2007 Larrivée L-03SP Sapele Top
LR Baggs Session DI - LR Baggs M1A
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 12:38:20 AM »

About 7 years ago I started using Ellixer 80/20's due to playing out doors,they didn't seem to tightin up when it cold cold nor did they get sticky when it was hot and humid.So I've stayed with them mostly because I a lazy bum when it come's to my own guitars.Before that I use Dean Markly 80/20's since the 70's.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 12:53:18 AM »

I used EXP's for many years, primarily because the coated strings last so long, and secondly because D'Addario makes 90% of all the strings on the market.  Lately, I have migrated to D'addario Nickel Bronze, Martin Monel and Newtone Masterclass Nickel, I really like the vintage tone and they are never harsh like bronze, but they always have lots of harmonics and last a long time...

George
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 12:59:33 AM »

D’addario pb ex light. The older I get, the lighter I use.
mattwood

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 01:08:52 AM »

I've used a bunch but there are a few I prefer.  I used Martin Monels on my L-05 when I had it which I feel were the perfect match for that guitar.  Right now I'm using GHS PB on my L-03 Zw which I feel have been a good match for this guitar.
Yippie

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 01:14:35 AM »

On my Larrivee I really like D'Addario EXP16's. I tried quite a few diffrent sets of stings and the 16's really make it sing to me and they last quite a while. Having said this, I put the same set on a Sigma DR-41 that I have and I can't stand them. I am sure that a lot has to do with the quality of the guitar but the high E and B are just way too bright for my taste (I actually have it tuned down 1/2 step now to compensate which is not an issue because I play alone). I put a set of Martin titanium cores on my Martin 000-28EC and the jury is still out on them. I have a love hate relationship with them and think that it comes down to the fact that I can't get past paying 50 bucks (Canadian) for a set of strings. I wanted to try a set on my Larrivee but can't bring myself to spend the money when the EXP16's just sing.

Larrivee D-04W VHS (Peruvian Walnut/Sitka)
Martin 000-28EC (EIR/Sitka)
Gibson J-45 Custom (EIR/Sitka)
Paraclete

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 01:54:45 AM »

Usually the D’Addario EJ16s.  I tried the EJ26, which is custom light, but my LSV-11 doesn’t like those.  Right now I have GHS Signature Bronze lights on, and they are quite a bit bolder, though maybe a litttle too brassy sometimes.  I haven’t decided whether to continue with them or stick with the EJ16s.  I’ve heard good things about the nickel bronze, but my nickel allergy is getting worse with age.

2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1935 A-OO Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 01:57:06 AM »

Both of my Larrivées (both parlors) have John Pearse PB Bluegrass.  Why?  Because they sound the best.

Ed
VOX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 03:04:14 AM »

I've been using John Pearse Phosphor Bronze forever on all my acoustics.
but I'm going to give GHS PB a try just because I've been using them on my electrics.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 03:59:22 AM »

I use six new ones because that's how many each needs. YMMV.  
DaveyO
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 04:42:39 AM »

Elixer namoweb 12s
I don't like changing strings much and they sound great
Dave
sub rosa

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2018, 06:23:40 AM »

Thanks for all the replies so far.

I tend to change up my strings every 2-3 months on the acoustic, maybe a little longer sometimes because I'm not playing out with it regularly (compared to electric).

Because of this I haven't really bothered with coated strings; though my GS Mini still has it's factory fitted set (had that about a year).

I use it as a chance to clean up the guitar (I've started using Boogie Juice on the fretboard http://www.boogiejuice.co.nz which is a neat little system).

What sort of sound are you guys going for when it comes to strings? Warm/mellow, bright/punchy?

2007 Larrivée L-03SP Sapele Top
LR Baggs Session DI - LR Baggs M1A
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2018, 06:39:23 AM »

Depends on the guitar.  Newtones sound the best but I hate changing strings so I save them for recording and use coated strings for practice.  I have no patience for regular strings like Martins because, even though they sound nice, the sound dead after 5 days. Dead strings seriously annoy me as they make a nice guitar sound mediocre.

D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2018, 02:08:07 PM »

EJ 24's are good,,,bright, clear, with bottom growl

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
Something is wrong,,,have you noticed?
D3rasp

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2018, 02:18:10 PM »

I thought i knew which ones i needed, untill i tried 10+. After trying all the main brands i can only use John pearse 310m or 300m 80/20, Man this thing sings, with eother of those. The 310 for more of finger picking mood for sure.

I dont about u guys but when i researched Mandolin strings, if i couldnt get goosebumbs sometimes then they werent good enough. Exp74-cm or exp75. Same thing for my larrivee.
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2018, 02:19:23 AM »

Phosphor Bronze lights.

Currently EJ-16's.  I used to use Martin SPs, but the quality really started slipping when they moved production to Mexico.

Zissou Intern

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2018, 02:25:31 AM »

I just restrung my new SD40M with D'Add J19 Bluegrass 12-56. It sounds great, love the deep, woody bass. It had J16's and sounded fine, but this is better. I tried a set of my Go To strings, Martin Monel TR, but they weren't good on this 12 fretter, too flat, no crispness. I will try the DR Rare BLuegrass next.
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2018, 03:11:45 AM »

Depends:

On my guitars, EXP-16s or EJ-16s.  Got tired of Martin's poor QC.

On my wife's guitar, whatever I have laying around that I bought by accident or decide I hate. 
(she's just happy when someone changes the strings for her)

jpmist

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2018, 08:00:25 PM »

Thanks for all the replies so far.

What sort of sound are you guys going for when it comes to strings? Warm/mellow, bright/punchy?

On my hog tops I really like the Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze which give a hog top some needed brightness or sparkle.

On my spruce tops, for years I've been very happy using the Elixar PhosBroz nanos, but was surprised when I put them on my recent OOV - just meh. The guy I bought it from had John Pearce Phos Bronze which I tried and they sound great. Gonna change out the 05 soon to the Pearce and see how it compares. For a 12 fret sprucetop I like a bright sweet tone on the treble strings and a raspy growl for the bass.

Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 Short Scale • Taylor 322ce    Various Strats • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist
Silence Dogood

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2018, 03:50:10 PM »

I use the cheap (green packaging) Martin 80/20s.  They give me a great, dry tone on my D-03.   And they last a good while.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: