Trigger finger surgery today

Started by mike in lytle, February 20, 2018, 09:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

:donut :donut2 :coffee
Today I had trigger release surgery for the middle and ring finger of my right hand. This started late last year on the middle finger, from manual labor working around the property. A shot took care of the original problem for awhile, but the last few weeks it got clear when the ring finger became affected this wasn't going away.
It never really affected my picking, except when I would pick for a couple hours I couldn't straighten those fingers without some pain. The range of motion for picking was not in the range of lockup. But the doc said no more shots.
I was told to expect numbness in those fingers for 24 hours (nerve block) and I have a bunch of exercises to do every hour throughout the day. Some are similar to exercises for warming up on guitar, but none involve stretching opposite the normal bending of the joint.
I was not awake for the surgery, but the post op recovery was just a few minutes. I was able to push the grocery cart to the beer cooler at the store on the way home. I also have some pain meds, but the discomfort is not so bad. I have a big dressing on my palm and it is all wrapped up with a flex bandage.
I will let you know if there are any hiccups in recovery. I can pick with my thumb and index finger so far!
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Good luck with recovery.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Wish you a speedy pain free recovery
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

My right hand middle finger has been doing this since last summer.  I got a new doc for my physical last year and he just kind of brushed it off.

I hope you keep us informed of how things are going.  I'm going to need to get mine looked at again soon.

I also hope yours is better soon!

Ed

Get well soon Mike!  So you can get back to pickin' and grinnin'!
George

I had the surgery last April after months of occupational therapy and steroid injections which helped some for a while.
Surgery is always a last resort.
Extraordinary success here. Full recovery.
I wish you all the best and hope that your results are every bit as satisfactory as my own, Mike.
:thumb

Quote from: eded on February 21, 2018, 06:23:32 AM
My right hand middle finger has been doing this since last summer.  I got a new doc for my physical last year and he just kind of brushed it off.
I hope you keep us informed of how things are going.  I'm going to need to get mine looked at again soon.
Ed,
Our family doc gave me a referral last August when I was in for my yearly.
It was like "trigger finger, eh? Here's a couple orthopedic surgeons" (the hand, wrist, elbow variety).
The first visit was x-rays and the injection. The doc said I'd probably be back within 6 months.
Five months later I was back, scheduling surgery.
No brush-off.
Mike

Hope it went well and you have a speedy recovery and no complications. On another note, if God didn't want us to have guns, why would we have a trigger finger?  :laughin:  :cheers   

Quote from: mike in lytle on February 21, 2018, 10:46:50 AM
Ed,
Our family doc gave me a referral last August when I was in for my yearly.
It was like "trigger finger, eh? Here's a couple orthopedic surgeons" (the hand, wrist, elbow variety).
The first visit was x-rays and the injection. The doc said I'd probably be back within 6 months.
Five months later I was back, scheduling surgery.
No brush-off.
Mike

Thanks.  Best of luck on the recovery.

Ed

I have been lucky so far.  Two bouts of tf, and steroid shots worked both times.  Knock on wood.

I was able to push the grocery cart to the beer cooler at the store on the way home.

Glad to see you have your priorities straight and a head start on your rehab! :humour:

I dodged a bullet on this. Mine was basically from guitar overuse as I'd play for hours non-stop with a very active fingerstyle pattern of picking with thumb, index and middle finger. One cortisone shot lasted about 4 months but since I've become aware of how I caused it, I've backed off considerably and have even changed my playing style a bit. The knot in the tendon is still there, but apparently the connective tissue band it was catching on has loosened up a bit, so fingers crossed.

Best wishes for a fast and total recovery!
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

Quote from: jpmist on February 22, 2018, 11:25:08 AM
I was able to push the grocery cart to the beer cooler at the store on the way home.
Glad to see you have your priorities straight and a head start on your rehab! :humour:
I dodged a bullet on this. Mine was basically from guitar overuse as I'd play for hours non-stop with a very active fingerstyle pattern of picking with thumb, index and middle finger.
Best wishes for a fast and total recovery!
John,
Thanks. I was being a bit off serious with my comment, but in truth, a couple beers do me better than the way overly strong pain meds they prescribed.
I think the solution to my problem is a small or mid-size tractor with a front loader and a back hoe. My own situation wasn't caused by guitar playing or aggravated by it. I just do too much digging, sawing, hammering, chain sawing and pulling weeds out of the ground by hand.
Currently, no pain when not moving the hand, and moderate discomfort when doing the exercises given. I can't yet fully extend the fingers or clench the fist, but I am pushing it. My hand is bruised front and back. It feels comforting keeping the wrapping on it. I have been playing the guitar, since it seems obvious that fits within the prescribed exercise, but only for a couple minutes at a time. I can tell this is gonna be a couple weeks slow going at best, mostly cause there are stitches under the skin in my palm.
Only adding the previous comments in case anyone is interested in details.
On the other hand, the mountain laurels here are beginning to bloom, and we are gonna have a monster bluebonnet bloom this year. Springtime in Lytle, Texas.
EDIT - I just had to use pliers to open a bottle of salad dressing, cause I couldn't do it with my hands. Geez.
Mike

Good luck on a speedy recovery! Fingers not work=Larrivee's don't get played! A few of those 12 oz. curls are good exercise for many ailments.  :cheers 
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)

Quote from: mike in lytle on February 22, 2018, 09:22:32 PM

Only adding the previous comments in case anyone is interested in details.

It's appreciated.

Ed

I wish you a speedy and uncomplicated recovery!  It's always been my belief that a little wine or beer for pain management is better than those awful (and constipating) heavy pain meds.  :cheers
2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1935 A-OO Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin

Quote from: Paraclete on February 23, 2018, 07:59:15 PM
I wish you a speedy and uncomplicated recovery!  It's always been my belief that a little wine or beer for pain management is better than those awful (and constipating) heavy pain meds.
:donut :coffee
Thanks. I agree with you.
As of now I am a bit over 72 hours from surgery and hopefully I can provide a detailed update tomorrow.
I finger picked for about an hour today, accurately, but slowly.
Mike

Glad this is working for you. I had trigger finger in my fretting hand last year. I talked with Mark (Queequeg) when we got together for lunch. I had ridden my motorcycle to Michigan. I also talked with a brother in law, who had the surgery as well.
     But when I got back to Texas and went to the doctor for a check up. I asked if bending my finger backward might help.She said to give it a try. Though it was extremely painful to do,i bent the finger back about two months.
      The Triggerfinger went away. All I can say is it worked somehow, and I'm happy.