Temporary fix for ball ends of strings pulling up into the bridge plate?

Started by George, February 19, 2018, 02:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: George on February 20, 2018, 02:08:04 PM
I am also making the transition to unslotted pins, they will minimize or delay the wear somewhat...

I have done this type of repair with 2-part epoxy putty.  Good old Bondo works too.

Just (over)fill the damaged areas from inside the guitar, let cure for a day, then sand back smooth even with the original bridge plate.  Make sure you get the filler packed in good and it's OK if some squirts up into the pin hole.  Finally, re-drill the pin holes carefully from the top thru the bridge.  STAY SQUARE!  These holes should be slightly undersized so you can taper them to fit the pegs.  If you don't have the correct tapered reamer, ream with a bridge pin tightly wrapped with fine sandpaper.  Here is a link to the filler I use.  http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=20057&cat=1,190,42997
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: George on February 20, 2018, 02:03:45 PM
Well, I am not the original owner and just purchased this guitar a short while ago.  Bourgeois warranty does not cover this in my case.  The likely cause is this guitar was tuned to multiple different open tunings that would fit bottle slide style playing.  Some of those tunings put a lot more stress on the top.  This top is ladder braced, not X braced so it is weaker, but supposedly more suited to Blues slide playing.  There is a bit more belly behind the bridge as well.
Multiple different open tunings are best tuned DOWN from standard tuning.
And we know... there is a reason for this.
Pretty guitar, there.

PLEASE do this one justice.  Not only is it a Bourgeois, but good Koa is getting more valuable with every passing year.
No offense to anyone, but if I bought a used Bourgeois and the bridge plate had been epoxy filled or bondo'd, I would be sending it back asap.  

I'm familiar with Bourgeois bridge plates, having just repaired one.  They are thin to allow for the wonderful resonance and sustain that brand is known for. Your problem is not major so the plate is salvageable. This should be a very viable tool if you don't want to have it professionally done;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSm4kMSlIYo  
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: B0WIE on March 19, 2018, 04:33:58 AM
PLEASE do this one justice.  Not only is it a Bourgeois, but good Koa is getting more valuable with every passing year.
No offense to anyone, but if I bought a used Bourgeois and the bridge plate had been epoxy filled or bondo'd, I would be sending it back asap.  

I'm familiar with Bourgeois bridge plates, having just repaired one.  They are thin to allow for the wonderful resonance and sustain that brand is known for. Your problem is not major so the plate is salvageable. This should be a very viable tool if you don't want to have it professionally done;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSm4kMSlIYo  

thanks for the tip Bowie, I do intend to have this guitar properly repaired.  I am not comfortable with the StewMac bridge repair method, nor do I have the tools for it, it has already been suggested by the repair guy at Bourgeois.  The Bridge is curved and not straight so he sent me a template printout from their CNC.  Now if I can just get it printed to scale...
George