Cowboy Music.

Started by Silence Dogood, February 16, 2018, 02:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm just getting into this genre.  Any fans here?  Any favorite records to recommend? 

Ranger Doug and the Riders in the Sky.

Ranger Doug is definitely Western.  Willie Nelson is all "country" and not even close to what I'm talking about.  I'm talking more about artists like:

Michael Martin Murphey
David Wilkie and Cowboy Celtic (great Canadian act)
Dave Stamey
Gary McMahan
Rod Taylor
Mike Beck
and even people like Tom Russell and Chris LeDoux

Not "country music" at all, but something that predates that. 

Quote from: Silence Dogood on February 17, 2018, 11:39:46 AM
Ranger Doug is definitely Western.  Willie Nelson is all "country" and not even close to what I'm talking about.  I'm talking more about artists like:

Michael Martin Murphey
David Wilkie and Cowboy Celtic (great Canadian act)
Dave Stamey
Gary McMahan
Rod Taylor
Mike Beck
and even people like Tom Russell and Chris LeDoux

Not "country music" at all, but something that predates that. 

You'll definitely want to look at Ian Tyson and also some of Corb Lund's stuff. How about Jerry Jeff Walker? Ramblin' Jack Elliot also comes to mind. The Dusty Chaps album Domino Joe is probably a must.     

Being slightly brain dead and falling memory Roy Roger and the sons of the pioner's{ok my spelling sucks}.Any interest in western swing?
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: Barefoot Rob on February 17, 2018, 12:58:39 PM
Being slightly brain dead and falling memory Roy Roger and the sons of the pioner's{ok my spelling sucks}.Any interest in western swing?

Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys.

I do like Western Swing, but I prefer the musical simplicity of the cowboy songs.  At least at this stage of life. 

Quote from: Silence Dogood on February 17, 2018, 06:05:24 PM
I do like Western Swing, but I prefer the musical simplicity of the cowboy songs.  At least at this stage of life. 

Red Headed Stranger is simplicity in spades.  Also, Guy Clark.

Quote from: Walkerman on February 17, 2018, 06:39:42 PM
Red Headed Stranger is simplicity in spades.  Also, Guy Clark.

I think he's looking for a specific, albeit narrow, genre. All these artists you mention are terrific and while they have the odd song that fits, they are not "cowboy" songsters.  

Quote from: ducktrapper on February 17, 2018, 08:35:21 PM
I think he's looking for a specific, albeit narrow, genre. All these artists you mention are terrific and while they have the odd song that fits, they are not "cowboy" songsters.  
Perhaps Gene Autry?

Quote from: Walkerman on February 18, 2018, 06:59:28 AM
Perhaps Gene Autry?

Yeah, you know, authentic cowboys!   :laughin:

Seriously though, Ian Tyson is the only real cowboy that I'm aware of. 

I like Gene Autry's voice and what he did musically with his band, but that's all show biz.  I'm talking about working cowboy music, made mostly by guys who did or do the work and make music.  It goes along with Cowboy Poetry.  Think about the folks who would be at the big Cowboy Poetry Gathering at Elko, NV each year, that sort of thing.  The list I made in my first post is made up of people like that.  Willie Nelson, Gene Autry, Bob Wills, et al are not the same genre or style. 

Ducktrapper, I keep hearing Ian Tyson's name dropped and want to check out his music.  Apparently he is where a lot of this got started. 

Quote from: Silence Dogood on February 18, 2018, 09:02:27 AM
I like Gene Autry's voice and what he did musically with his band, but that's all show biz.  I'm talking about working cowboy music, made mostly by guys who did or do the work and make music.  It goes along with Cowboy Poetry.  Think about the folks who would be at the big Cowboy Poetry Gathering at Elko, NV each year, that sort of thing.  The list I made in my first post is made up of people like that.  Willie Nelson, Gene Autry, Bob Wills, et al are not the same genre or style.  

Ducktrapper, I keep hearing Ian Tyson's name dropped and want to check out his music.  Apparently he is where a lot of this got started.  

Ian is the real deal, if Canadian cowboys count. He owns a ranch in Alberta, sings great and writes terrific songs. Get Cowboyography and you won't regret it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G07xgAuDYZo

Cheers
Tom

Quote from: ducktrapper on February 18, 2018, 04:48:15 PM
Ian is the real deal, if Canadian cowboys count. He owns a ranch in Alberta, sings great and writes terrific songs. Get Cowboyography and you won't regret it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G07xgAuDYZo

Cheers
Tom
I spent the afternoon listening to him.  Very good stuff. 

Check out Ernie Sites   www.erniesites.com
-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works

I often finish my gig with an instrumental version of Happy Trails.

Quote from: Queequeg on January 23, 2019, 08:46:59 AM
I often finish my gig with an instrumental version of Happy Trails.

Me too mark, plus lyrics. I also do another of Ms Evans tunes.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Records?  You must be older than moi and I am pretty darn well worn and almost worn out!    :humour: :?
Larrivee 000-60
Martin 000-28 VS
Guild Mark II
Alvarez Yairi CY 127 CE
Alvarez Yairi CY 140 CE
Two cats who like my playing

not a Cowboy Song, but a song that holds a reverence for Cowboy Songs:

"And the wind blew the echoes of long-faded voices
And they'd sing me a song that the old cowboys sang
And I didn't know what the words meant or anything
I was just singing because I was supposed to sing . . . "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNmnzwGT4Ic