Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: pickguard removal  (Read 1334 times)
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2018, 12:46:22 AM »

Still haven't pulled the trigger! I've definitely had some disastrous moments over the years, and I've had worst case scenarios running through my head. So maybe I can get used to the pickguard... rolleye

Since it’s new, it *probably* isn’t an issue, but light changes the shade of the wood (or finish), and sometimes there is a “tan line”  where the old guard is/was.

Not saying it’s definite, just a possibility.

Ed
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2018, 03:07:35 AM »

Since it’s new, it *probably* isn’t an issue, but light changes the shade of the wood (or finish), and sometimes there is a “tan line”  where the old guard is/was.

Not saying it’s definite, just a possibility.

Ed

Newer guitars are much better to do it on as the tan lines will blend.  Older ones will take a while and sometimes never quite get there.

D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
jweave69

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2018, 03:07:54 PM »

Ordered the clear pickguard from Larrivee yesterday. I'm leaning toward trying to find a local luthier to do the work...

2017 Larrivee D-40 8>)
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2018, 08:43:48 PM »

Ordered the clear pickguard from Larrivee yesterday. I'm leaning toward trying to find a local luthier to do the work...

If you're nervous about doing it yourself, take it to someone - they won't charge you much for the peace of mind.

All guitars are left-handed:
1979 L-19  |  1992 OM-05  |  2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue  |  2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak  |  2016 L-05 Custom
jweave69

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2018, 01:09:07 PM »

So is naphtha safe for the satin finish? How about lemon oil instead?

2017 Larrivee D-40 8>)
jweave69

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2018, 12:47:54 AM »

Victory by plastic spatula and hair dryer!

2017 Larrivee D-40 8>)
mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2018, 01:50:42 AM »

Victory by plastic spatula and hair dryer!

That is so cool! Thank you for the victory picture!
How long did it take to do the full removal? Was the hairdryer on high or low setting?
How long did you heat before trying to pry the guard off with the spatula?
Did you heat one area at a time or the entire guard.....
Did you have to "pull" the pick guard off at all or did it release "freely" with no effort?
We all need to know.
Mike
jweave69

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2018, 05:33:21 AM »

That is so cool! Thank you for the victory picture!
How long did it take to do the full removal? Was the hairdryer on high or low setting?
How long did you heat before trying to pry the guard off with the spatula?
Did you heat one area at a time or the entire guard.....
Did you have to "pull" the pick guard off at all or did it release "freely" with no effort?
We all need to know.
Mike

-Took about 20 minutes.
-Hair dryer was on low fan, but high temperature (fancy hair dryer rolleye)
-I started at the sharp corner and got about an inch with floss after just about ten seconds of heating.
- I heated the whole guard first but then concentrated the air to to a few inches of where I was working.
- It definitely took some effort, especially in the middle section. I found that rocking the spatula back and forth gave the best results. It was a little unnerving at times; the sticky sound of the guard pulling away from the soundboard! When I was done, there was very little glue residue on the wood; it was mostly all on the back of the guard! I tried warm soapy water, but it actually took the lighter fluid (naphtha) to get all of it. Now I just have to install the clear one from Larrivee when it arrives (maybe)!

2017 Larrivee D-40 8>)
markj

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2018, 03:58:50 AM »

Good job!     

I thought about removing the pick guard on my 50th Anniversary LV-10 but I decided to keep it "factory original" when I took delivery. It's been 9 months and I know the top has "aged" in that time. It's because I play it for 2-3 or more hours every day. I am almost certain there would be a "tan line" if I removed it now. It would probably blend and I am still tempted to remove it. I do not like the look of it and I think it detracts from the beauty of the guitar.

This thread has pushed me into seriously considering removing it. I will let my local guy remove it. He is very good and I trust his experience. I can always put it back on.

1977 Classical
2014 L-03
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
jweave69

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2018, 10:36:33 AM »

Sounds like a plan! Be sure to post pics of your liberated guitar!  bigrin

2017 Larrivee D-40 8>)
skyline

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2018, 02:09:16 PM »

The advice I received from Larrivée about removing the pick-guard from a then new 2011 SD-03, was basically the process Queequeg described:

"Removing the pick guard is not very difficult. The easiest way requires two items: A hair drier, and either Naphtha or lighter fluid. Just make sure to keep the two VERY separate. Use the blow dry on medium to blow warm air on the pick guard for a minute or two. This will soften the pick guard adhesive and allow you to slowly pull the pick guard off. Get underneath the corner of the pick guard with your fingernail and lift it up, then peel it back slow. Soften it as necessary with the blow drier. If you don't have a medium setting, use the high setting and just keep the blow drier further away from the guitar. The goal is to heat the pick guard and just warm the wood slightly. You don't want both to be very hot. Once you remove the pick guard there will likely be adhesive residue. Put the blow drier away (as Naphtha and lighter fluid are VERY flammable) and then apply some naphtha to soft cloth or soft paper towel. Use the cloth to remove the adhesive. Don't apply the naphtha directly to your guitar. Once completed, tidy up the area with your favorite guitar polish."

But as Barefoot Rob said - if you're not comfy don't do it. I wound up taking the guitar to my usual luthier . . .

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: