Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: pickguard removal  (Read 1536 times)
jweave69

Ignore
« on: February 14, 2018, 03:17:34 AM »

So I just purchased a new D-40. I love the guitar, but my previous baby was an 04' D-03R with clear pickguard. I really liked the clean look of the clear guard... Will I void the warranty if I attempt to remove the pickguard and replace with a clear one? If not, how in the world do I remove it without damaging? Thank you in advance!

2017 Larrivee D-40 8>)
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 03:50:16 AM »

Since the guitar is new the pick guard will come off fairly easily.
Use a hair dryer to heat up the pick guard  and a plastic scraper to s-l-o-w-l-y peel the old one off.
Use caution.
Don’t rush.
There is a risk of pulling some wood off the top if the p/g isn’t sufficiently warmed and pliable.
After the p/g is off, use naphtha (lighter fluid) to remove the adhesive residue from the top.
jweave69

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 05:16:03 AM »

Ok that sounds scary! I thought I read something about lighter fluid, but man that sounds scary! So if I pull this off, where should I get a thin clear pickguard; like the one that came on my 04'?

2017 Larrivee D-40 8>)
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 12:12:56 PM »

Ok that sounds scary! I thought I read something about lighter fluid, but man that sounds scary! So if I pull this off, where should I get a thin clear pickguard; like the one that came on my 04'?

https://www.larrivee.com/shop/clear-pickguard-old-style

Ed
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 12:29:55 PM »

It's only scary if you are impatient and rush to remove it. Once the adhesive under the pickguard is sufficiently warmed, it returns to a semi-liquid state and releases its grip on the wood and the p/g will lift off.
I never timed it but I'm guessing about 45 minutes.
jweave69

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 01:30:13 AM »

Thank you everyone!  I guess I'll pull the trigger!

2017 Larrivee D-40 8>)
mattwood

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 01:49:47 AM »

I would suggest using dental floss instead of a plastic scrapper.  Less chance of damage.
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 03:36:04 AM »

I would suggest using dental floss instead of a plastic scrapper.  Less chance of damage.

8 or 10 pound monofilament. (fishing line)  works as well and you don't have to worry about wax residue.

Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 02:24:54 PM »

Be aware that the wood can pull up.
divertis

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 07:04:14 PM »

Wow! I never tried this, but that piece of information is priceless for someone doing it! 45 minutes! I’d panic after 5-10 minutes if I wouldn’t know this. Guys, really appreciate a lot the knowledge shared on this forum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 08:48:22 PM »

Keep in mind that heat can also allow the braces to come unglued. There's usually one running right past there. So, be very cautious and use only as much heat as needed.

D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 11:08:23 PM »

Or, get ahold of Barefoot Rob.
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 04:43:34 AM »

OK it is real scary even for me and I've done around 50 guard removals.Like any work on anything if your not comfy "DON'T DO IT"!!!!!I slip up and you've screwed the goose.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 02:04:30 PM »

I had a custom guitar made by Larrivee.  We had a miscommunication and it came with a plastic pickguard instead of clear.  I asked to have it swapped for a clear one.  Upon removal of the old one (it had been on for a couple of days) some of the wood began to pull up.  In the end, we left the old guard on.  The lesson is, if it can happen to the Larrivee shop tech, it can happen to you.
gtrplayer

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2018, 03:21:36 PM »

I've done it twice and though time consuming found it to be not that difficult.  I used a hair dryer and started at the sharp end until it could be lifted.  I then proceed slowly, lifting (in a curling motion) and observing closely in conjunction with heating.  Periodically I stopped if the soundboard felt too hot.  I used just the hairdryer and my fingers and about 20 minutes.  I cleaned up the residue on the soundboard with lighter fluid (Naptha) 10 minutes.  I found it to be fairly straight forward though they were two new guitars which makes it easier.  

I would say take your time, work gingerly and observe closely.   Apply heat judiciously and peel back slowly.    
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2018, 05:30:56 PM »

I had a custom guitar made by Larrivee.  We had a miscommunication and it came with a plastic pickguard instead of clear.  I asked to have it swapped for a clear one.  Upon removal of the old one (it had been on for a couple of days) some of the wood began to pull up.  In the end, we left the old guard on. 

The lesson is, if it can happen to the Larrivee shop tech, it can happen to you.

That should NOT have happened - someone wasn't being very careful, especially since it was already a customer's guitar, not just one that was generically going out the door.

P.S. When I received my C-10 a couple years ago, it had the ugly Martin style guard on it (I think they're fine on Martins, ugly on a Larrivee L or C/cutaway body). I don't know how long the guard had been on the guitar, but I was able to get it off using the hair dryer method and lots of patience. But it really doesn't take that long.

All guitars are left-handed:
1979 L-19  |  1992 OM-05  |  2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue  |  2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak  |  2016 L-05 Custom
DaveyO
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2018, 02:56:35 AM »

That's a switch,I have taken off the clear pick guard to put
On Larrivees current one
I would leave it alone,my opinion
Good luck
Dave
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 01:32:05 AM »

I’ve done at least 10 of them over the years, all without incident.
Some had been on long enough to reveal a sun tan on the top outside the p/g area. And that all fades to an even patina over time.
But hey, bad things can happen.
I’m not telling anyone else they should try it.
jweave69

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 08:57:00 PM »

Still haven't pulled the trigger! I've definitely had some disastrous moments over the years, and I've had worst case scenarios running through my head. So maybe I can get used to the pickguard... rolleye

2017 Larrivee D-40 8>)
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2018, 11:00:06 PM »

Don't know if its necessary but I loosened the strings so there was no tension on the top before heating.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: